External amplify front & center speakers Denon x3700h.

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
not trying to be a pain but while looking for amps I’ve been focused on watts first then signal to noise ratio, and THD. Bput I’ve noticed on some listings they put for instance 100v right in the title, i dont understand the importance of voltage in an amps rating?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
not trying to be a pain but while looking for amps I’ve been focused on watts first then signal to noise ratio, and THD. Bput I’ve noticed on some listings they put for instance 100v right in the title, i dont understand the importance of voltage in an amps rating?
Where did you see that?

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
EBay listings ie: QSC MX1000a Professional Stereo Power Amplifier Home Audio 100V, YAMAHA Stereo Power Amplifier PC2001N AC100V, Sansui B-77 Power Amplifier Transistor AC100V. Are they indicating that it’s a US 110 ac rather than a euro 220 ac?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
EBay listings ie: QSC MX1000a Professional Stereo Power Amplifier Home Audio 100V, YAMAHA Stereo Power Amplifier PC2001N AC100V, Sansui B-77 Power Amplifier Transistor AC100V. Are they indicating that it’s a US 110 ac rather than a euro 220 ac?
If it was originally sold in Japan then yes it would be 100 V ac 50 Hz. You may be able to use it with up to 120 V 60 Hz but you should consult the manufacturer first, unless it is spelled out in the owner's manual.

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
Thanks PENG, much appreciated. Wasn’t wanting any of those just curious what it was about!

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
I wanted to thank you all for your help wit’s my amplifier plans! I have decided to use a Rotel RB 1572 (specs below) to power my front RF7 speakers and wait a year till Denon comes up with their new version of their x6700h probably beginning of 2022 If chatter is anywhere close. (Do you have any inside scoop on Denon’s new line up???
Power output: 250 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 80kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 400

Gain: 27.1 dB

Input sensitivity: 1.5V

Signal to noise ratio: 109dB

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
(I was able to purchase a Rotel factory refurbished unit a a very reasonable price)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's possibly an amp for a specific type of speaker using a transformer, there are 70V and 100V types, some also can also be used with regular passive speakers (I have such an amp).

Last edited:
P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
I do remember seeing one or two that said 70v in the title now that you mention it!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I do remember seeing one or two that said 70v in the title now that you mention it!!
I don't know what kind of good price you are getting for the RB1572, but unless it is for the "better" look I would say you may be paying more and actually get much less in terms of output power and audio performance compare to the best class D amps for under $2,000.

You can get a Hypex modules based 2 channel power amp that is rated 350 W into 8 Ohms and 500 W into 4 Ohm for $650 brand new.

The performance specs and measurements are far superior compare to the RB1572. The difference may not be audible except at the quiet moments when the hiss/hum of the Rotel may become audible if your room has a low enough noise floor.

Take a look of the current ranking of the ASR bench tested amps and you can see that all the top ones on the chart are Hypex or Purifi based amps, except the AHB2 that is still top at the moment.

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1640354388485.png

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
That is a very height rated amp at a very good price! I got the Rotel for 450. I’m on hold with my system now, waiting to upgrade my Denon x3700H to a Denon x6700H or x8500HA. Waiting to see if Denon will upgrade the units in the coming year or so.
I hate to buy one now and then learn they are releasing a new model!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you want to gain with a move to a 6700 or 8500?

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
Primary reason is I intend to add more speakers. I presently have a 5.2.4 setup (the 4 being ceiling mounted) and I want to add 4 more for front and rear height. The additional watts would be a plus! With the x8500ha I would still have the ability to expand if I wanted to accommodate the center Height for the Auro-3D.

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
So I broke down and purchased new Denon x6700h. Have a AMP Assign question: I Have 5 floor plus 6 (2 front height, 2 top middle in ceiling, and to top rear in ceiling) for 11 ch. total. When I run setup it forces the top middle as HEIGHT 3 (Requiring separate amp) Can I input the top middle in the unused surround back inputs and reassign the amps? When I try to do that in amp assign, the surround back L&R are “greyed“ out, And I can’t select them. When I look at the back panel it says ASSIGNABLE” under them?? where am I going wrong??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My older marantz allows me to set the mains as assignable to pre-out only and still use the onboard amp for the .2 atmos channels if I want, one of which is the "optional" channel requiring an external amp be used....

Are you using an external amp at all?

To best of my knowledge, you need to have something assigned to a preout in order to take advantage of that feature.
I'm interested to see an answer from someone that has on of these newer units than my 2017 vintage model. ;)

P

PABZ

Audioholic Intern
thx for response! Not using external amp. Would like to be able to use the 11 onboard amps for my 11 speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
While the X6700H is flexible regarding amp assignments, the Surround Back speakers can be reassigned only to bi-amp mode to power front speakers when running a completely bi-amped 5.1 system. The processing of assigned channels also has some limits. If you want six height speakers for an atmos setup, the receiver will need to be put into 13.1 mode and will give you a 7.1.6 layout but only power eleven of the thirteen channels. You will need an external amp for the pair of top middle surround speakers. You can, however, assign amps for an 11.1 Auro-3D setup of 5.1.6. The layout would be a heightened version of your 5.1 speaker arrangement with the addition of a Top Surround speaker in the center of the ceiling.

The reason for the limits is that having six atmos channels with only five main channels would throw off object placement without the Surround Back channels present. The 11.1 Auro-3D setup does not use the Surround Back channels but just surround channels high and low with a Height Center channel and single Top Surround channel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis