External Amp advice.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
This was brought up and asked already. It was rejected, he said that's not it, and we were accused of insulting him by even suggesting he didn't already know that.

PS, in fact it was us suggesting that might be the issue when he informed us he's been "an audio freak before most of the people posting here were even born"...
You people don't know when to pack it in do ya? I've already stated that there is one person on here who got it and the problem will be resolved. So its time to run along now. Find something else now. Go somewhere else to spread all your expertise and goodwill. Have a good day.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
This was brought up and asked already. It was rejected, he said that's not it, and we were accused of insulting him by even suggesting he didn't already know that.

PS, in fact it was us suggesting that might be the issue when he informed us he's been "an audio freak before most of the people posting here were even born"...
Lol I guess I missed that part good lord I use 3 outboard amps one bridged and if calibration is done right you don’t know there there . My guess he had all channel on and didn’t realize it .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You people don't know when to pack it in do ya? I've already stated that there is one person on here who got it and the problem will be resolved. So its time to run along now. Find something else now. Go somewhere else to spread all your expertise and goodwill. Have a good day.
I thought you didn't want to talk to me? I quoted Mark, not you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, this is the kind of post we like on AH - what amps and AVRs to buy. :D
I love my Monolith 7. It's a bit big and unwieldy but I'm set on power and can drive almost any variety or combination of speakers now, with room for expansion. It's a forever purchase. I bought it with no plans to upgrade or replace it any time soon, or ever. If it lasts until I die then my son can have it.

I wouldn't get one with only 2 or 3 channels tho. I think bang for buck the 5 and 7 channel versions are where the real value kicks in.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't get one with only 2 or 3 channels tho. I think bang for buck the 5 and 7 channel versions are where the real value kicks in.
Well, it depends on the brands.

In general, I would agree that if you could, you should get the 5-7Ch amp for a few dollars more. :D

But it just depends on the brands.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I love my Monolith 7. It's a bit big and unwieldy but I'm set on power and can drive almost any variety or combination of speakers now, with room for expansion. It's a forever purchase. I bought it with no plans to upgrade or replace it any time soon, or ever. If it lasts until I die then my son can have it.

I’ve thought long and hard on ATI if Iam not mistaken they originally had SAE way back or at least was somewhere in the mix . I’ve had SAE amps and Soundcraftsmen amps too still got a 300 watt one stashed away mabey for a pair of subs someday . I do like the Monolith amps very much too great value for the money you didn’t go wrong on that purchase in any way and I’ll bet sounds amazing too . I’ve had a lot of amps lol everybody should lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, it depends on the brands.

In general, I would agree that if you could, you should get the 5-7Ch amp for a few dollars more. :D

But it just depends on the brands.
Oh yes, agreed. Depends on the brand. I mean I wouldn't have gotten a 2 or 3 channel Monolith. Price of entry is kinda high and it's big for a 2 channel amp. With the Monolith 7 it works out to a little over 200 bucks per channel vs 600 per channel with the 2.

But yes, depends on brand. If I only wanted 3 channels I would probably go with the Outlaw 2220 monoblocks. They go on sale (3 unit package deals) from time to time and all 3 together are a smaller form and lighter weight than a Monolith 3.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve thought long and hard on ATI if Iam not mistaken they originally had SAE way back or at least was somewhere in the mix . I’ve had SAE amps and Soundcraftsmen amps too still got a 300 watt one stashed away mabey for a pair of subs someday . I do like the Monolith amps very much too great value for the money you didn’t go wrong on that purchase in any way and I’ll bet sounds amazing too . I’ve had a lot of amps lol everybody should lol !
Well tbh this is my first real big boy amp and did my homework here before I bought it. It does sound amazing and I rarely even come close to pushing its limits. I've never felt it get hot. Warm, yes, but never hot. I can lay my hand on top comfortably for as long as I'd want, even after some spirited listening sessions. No fans for cooling either. Just plenty of room to breathe and it stays nice and cool (for an amplifier).

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well tbh this is my first real big boy amp and did my homework here before I bought it. It does sound amazing and I rarely even come close to pushing its limits. I've never felt it get hot. Warm, yes, but never hot. I can lay my hand on top comfortably for as long as I'd want, even after some spirited listening sessions. No fans for cooling either. Just plenty of room to breathe and it stays nice and cool (for an amplifier).
I had forgotten about Outlaw amps too , and always do the homework. Back in the late 70’s into the 90’s I went threw and tried a lot of gear . I loved the shear clean power of the Soundcraftsmen and SAE gear but hated the fans lol . I really like my carvers the TFM-35’s I use on my 4 towers are 4 ohm loads and these amps run at 350 a channel at 4 ohms and driven hard barley put any heat out actually the meter lamps put out more heat so I turn them off . My center channel I use a TFM-25 bridged at 500 watts I have to be careful with it but now I have bi-amped it with same amp which I like better. I had these carver amps serviced and brought up to spec so I’ll keep them awhile.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had forgotten about Outlaw amps too , and always do the homework. Back in the late 70’s into the 90’s I went threw and tried a lot of gear . I loved the shear clean power of the Soundcraftsmen and SAE gear but hated the fans lol . I really like my carvers the TFM-35’s I use on my 4 towers are 4 ohm loads and these amps run at 350 a channel at 4 ohms and driven hard barley put any heat out actually the meter lamps put out more heat so I turn them off . My center channel I use a TFM-25 bridged at 500 watts I have to be careful with it but now I have bi-amped it with same amp which I like better. I had these carver amps serviced and brought up to spec so I’ll keep them awhile.
Yup, my Mono is rated at 350 wpc at 4 ohms too. My thinking is no matter what I end up with ultimately for speakers it'll handle it, and dollars per watt was about as good a deal there was at the time for 7 channels. That, the fact that they're actually ATI amps and reviewed so well here are what convinced me to go for it.
You still holding that ATi amp for me right? that 3 channel amp we talked about? :)
Eh? You got a new amp waiting in the wings? Do tell!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yup, my Mono is rated at 350 wpc at 4 ohms too. My thinking is no matter what I end up with ultimately for speakers it'll handle it, and dollars per watt was about as good a deal there was at the time for 7 channels. That, the fact that they're actually ATI amps and reviewed so well here are what convinced me to go for it.
4 Ohm, really? Come back when you have some decent wpc at 1 Ohm!

Time for me to go to bed! Goodnight, and good luck! :p

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Eh? You got a new amp waiting in the wings? Do tell!
You did not go wrong with that amp it will last you a long time and top of the line build quality too !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
4 Ohm, really? Come back when you have some decent wpc at 1 Ohm!

Time for me to go to bed! Goodnight, and good luck! :p
Ha.

I'm pretty sure it would melt subjected to a 1 ohm load.

Does that mean I don't have a big boy amp now?? :( :p

'Night dude!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Ha.

I'm pretty sure it would melt subjected to a 1 ohm load.

Does that mean I don't have a big boy amp now?? :( :p

'Night dude!
The "Good Night and Good Luck" is from a WWII reporter (Edward R. Murrow) stationed in London but googling now mostly gives references to a movie by Clooney with the setting in 1953 :rolleyes:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The "Good Night and Good Luck" is from a WWII reporter (Edward R. Murrow) stationed in London but googling now mostly gives references to a movie by Clooney with the setting in 1953 :rolleyes:
I actually knew that. It just didn't click with me you were referencing it.

I got all caught up in the drama and wasn't thinking clearly. I think I have ptsd now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis