Exploring Subs for Theater post-2020 in the $2k range

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna end up with a half dozen ported subwoofers of all shapes and designs... lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why does noone ever talk about IB (infinite baffle) subs here? That go out of style?
Oh, they do. It seems to be a little on trend right now. As far as "here," maybe we just aren't the level of DIY Bass-Heads that may populate an other forum. :rolleyes: Or we just aren't as willing to sacrifice the structures or layouts of our home to stash boxes of subs:
1618592438137.png

1618592564764.png

1618592985430.png

:p
That and BOSS Platforms, Martys and Devastators. Oh my.
In fact there are 2 Dev builds that I am aware of for quad JBL 12" Drivers. :) Not the deepest of monsters, but the mid-bass output is pretty bonkers.
Post 477
and
Post 1517

Sonosubs are definitely of interest, but they get to be very large for low tunes. I suspect using something more akin to a Pro Driver or Stereo Integrity Driver, you can get the performance into a smaller package and use DSP to tame the beast. I've heard from some sources that resonances and standing waves inside a tube are very minimal. As I recall, Shady countered that they will still have some concerns. Always tradeoffs with these issues.

Regardless, there is always potential if one has the desire to make it work!

GSG Audio is a good source for Marty Sub information. I think there's also a dedicated thread on Martys over at AVS (well on its way to 300 pages long!). Also, one of the founders of GSG is the guy that designed the original Devastator build. Flat packs for a basic Dev and any Martys are available through them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The things you have to do to your room to accommodate an IB sub system is pretty ridiculous.
The last photo I added in my post above, the one with the guitar and the back of the subs firing into the next room, looks as if the owner had already opened the wall for a single driver and changed course.
I could see doing this as a homeowner in a new build, or a heavy renovation assuming space was not an issue.
I can’t help but feel there must be a few failures out there where the ceiling or floor gave way or worse... install the subs in the worst spot of a room and get a fraction of the anticipated effect.
This is far and away from what I would consider a good idea! Perhaps the fringe case would be a dedicated theater as a selling point to the home, designed from the ground up as part of the architecture and construction.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, they do. It seems to be a little on trend right now. As far as "here," maybe we just aren't the level of DIY Bass-Heads that may populate an other forum. :rolleyes: Or we just aren't as willing to sacrifice the structures or layouts of our home to stash boxes of subs:
View attachment 46739
View attachment 46740
View attachment 46741

:p
That and BOSS Platforms, Martys and Devastators. Oh my.
In fact there are 2 Dev builds that I am aware of for quad JBL 12" Drivers. :) Not the deepest of monsters, but the mid-bass output is pretty bonkers.
Post 477
and
Post 1517

Sonosubs are definitely of interest, but they get to be very large for low tunes. I suspect using something more akin to a Pro Driver or Stereo Integrity Driver, you can get the performance into a smaller package and use DSP to tame the beast. I've heard from some sources that resonances and standing waves inside a tube are very minimal. As I recall, Shady countered that they will still have some concerns. Always tradeoffs with these issues.

Regardless, there is always potential if one has the desire to make it work!

GSG Audio is a good source for Marty Sub information. I think there's also a dedicated thread on Martys over at AVS (well on its way to 300 pages long!). Also, one of the founders of GSG is the guy that designed the original Devastator build. Flat packs for a basic Dev and any Martys are available through them.
The things you have to do to your room to accommodate an IB sub system is pretty ridiculous.

Guess that explains that. I guess I'm not remembering correctly, but I don't recall it being THAT involved. No thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Guess that explains that. I guess I'm not remembering correctly, but I don't recall it being THAT involved. No thanks.
At it's most simple definition, an in-wall speaker is infinite baffle. For a Sub to truly perform as such, I think you need roughly 10x10'... maybe more.
The argument could be made that this is a cheaters way to maximize cone area and output into a room without sacrificing space IN that room. But you have to pay the piper sometime, and that comes through eating up space in different rooms and sacrificing those rooms to be the space that dampens the backwave emission of those woofers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
At it's most simple definition, an in-wall speaker is infinite baffle. For a Sub to truly perform as such, I think you need roughly 10x10'... maybe more.
The argument could be made that this is a cheaters way to maximize cone area and output into a room without sacrificing space IN that room. But you have to pay the piper sometime, and that comes through eating up space in different rooms and sacrificing those rooms to be the space that dampens the backwave emission of those woofers.
That's why my adjacent room is an attic. I could do it if I wanted, but the price to see how it is, isn't worth it. Those people destroying other rooms in their house for bass? Nope.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis