Experience with filing a Paypal Claim?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Long story short I bought a car cd player via e-bay. Within 1 day of having it installed it went dead. I e-mailed the seller multiple times trying to resolve the issue, but he ignored me until I threatened to file a claim.

I got tired of listening to the seller's lies, and the fact that he refused to reply to many of my e-mails (even after I did a Paypal dispute) so I just escalated it to a claim.

So, anyone had to do this before? What were the results? What should I expect to have to do?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
eBay is like prison sex. You don't have to like it but sometimes you have to take it. If it helps at all keep in mind that, like prison sex, it's not so bad once you relax a little.

Obviously I've been screwed before and now I am very careful. Paypal asked me to get a police report over a $5 item. Another time they wanted me to ship them a wallet so that they could determine whether or not it was leather. None of it was big money nor was it worth my time. The lesson learned was invaluable.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Did the seller state a return policy guaranteeing the unit after installation?

If not, you're SOL.

I've dealt with four Paypal claims before.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Unless your out big money it's not worth the time,getting ebay to pay a buyer protection claim or paypal to pay off on a claim is a nightmare,the process is a well planned nightmare on ebay's part & followed through by paypal,they do not want you to collect & their claims process (constantly changing) shows their intent to discourage claims.

Go to the site in this link http://www.paypalsucks.com/ & read about what your in for.

If it were me & i was not out any real cash i'd just serve the seller a scathing negative feedback & go about my business.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
His auction stated I had 3 days after receiving it to let him know. I got it on a Friday afternoon. Installed it Saturday. It went crazy on Sunday. I e-mailed him Monday morning and he said he never got it. But I have the e-mails to prove it. Thank God for gmail.

I e-mailed him for over a week trying to work something out. I then filed a dispute and he replied but basically said because I didn't send it back to him within 3 days of receiving it I was SOL. I then gave him 3 options to settle with me (described above) and said he has 48 hours to at least reply to that (didn't have to make a decision, just reply to let me know he was thinking about it). He didn't respond so I just filed a claim.

I have 32 feedbacks and the dumbass tried to say that he had 100% feedback as well... he does, but with only 1 transaction as a buyer. ****ing 'tard.

I know this is really my own fault for buying from someone with such little feedback, but hopefully this will teach him a lesson. I've already learned mine.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
?

?? Only if you're a whore.

??? In fact:????? Again, only if you're a whore.

????

WTF?
Whore? More like a realist that has learned the benefits of relaxation. Go easy with the whore word though. I was only kidding and making light of the situation while getting to the point of it being a situation where the cure is worse than the disease. Didn't mean to offend and all that good stuff.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Whore? More like a realist that has learned the benefits of relaxation. Go easy with the whore word though. I was only kidding and making light of the situation while getting to the point of it being a situation where the cure is worse than the disease. Didn't mean to offend and all that good stuff.
Okay. But you're the one that used the harsh analogy. Just not my cup of tea...that's all. To each his own. The gist of what you were relaying remains nevertheless. Peace out.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
So the auction's stated return policy was

"It crapped out"?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
:rolleyes:
... "Item must be returned 3 days after receiving item. All return cost are the buyers responsibility."

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Did the seller give any conditions for return? "Warranted against DOA, Item must be returned in 3 days" is very different from "All returns accepted, no questions ask. Item must be returned 3 days after receipt."

A link to the completed auction may make this easier.

jinjuku

jinjuku

They only way something could be returned 3 days after you receive it is to put a label on the box it came in when the driver comes to drop it off.

I don't do much on ebay. When I do I PM for better terms if what they have posted suck. If they don't play ball and not willing to back up their auction, then it isn't the auction for me.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
They only way something could be returned 3 days after you receive it is to put a label on the box it came in when the driver comes to drop it off.
That's true. Another thing is that the seller shipped it from a PO Box. Like I"m just going to send it back without contacting him.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's true. Another thing is that the seller shipped it from a PO Box. Like I"m just going to send it back without contacting him.
The PO Box plus the lack of feedback all sounds VERY suspicious. I think at this point you may have to accept the fact that youve been screwed and move on with life. Leave negative feedback, inform PayPal that they have a scammer at that email address/postal address, and just move on with life. Your other option is to hire a hitman, but that might be taking things a little bit overboard :D.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Simply "accepting that you've been screwed" is not the proper course of action.

You have a valid complaint. I'm not sure if Paypal will rule in your favor here, but you have a good shot. Good luck.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
eBay is like prison sex. You don't have to like it but sometimes you have to take it. If it helps at all keep in mind that, like prison sex, it's not so bad once you relax a little.

Not to get too far off topic here but eh wow. What an analogy :eek::D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis