Exclusive Star Wars Trilogy DVD Review

AV Forums has released a world exclusive review of the new Star Wars DVD Trilogy. AV Forums is the newest member of the Home Theater Alliance and is the UK's #1 audio visual consumer electronics forums. The folks over there are very friendly and this review of the new Star Wars DVD box set has got some excellent screenshots that you should not miss! here's a sneak peek excerpt: So how do the films look in terms of video transfer? Breathtaking is the reply. All three films have been totally cleaned and restored, there are no signs of dirt or grain present in the print. The images on all three also looks super sharp, as if they had been filmed yesterday! Skin texture is stunning, details just jump out of the screen, edges are sharp without any edge enhancement being seen. Colours are just so rich and vivid that you just can’t believe all these films are over twenty years old. The clean up work done here is excellent. The most impressive part of this is shadow detail, look at the Canteena scene, look at the garbage compressor, Darth’s breathing chamber and the rancor pit, there is simply a ton of detail to be seen that I was blown away, totally.

Read the Review

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm not ashamed to admit that your review is giving me wood! :p Uh, can I say that in a family forum? :rolleyes: :D

O

outsider

Audioholic
Star Wars on DVD, but only the special editions?
I just can't get excited about that.

Maybe if it were the true originals without the cheesy extras --yeah, that's right, I called them cheesy!!
I especially hate the fact that Luke screams like a sissy in Empire when he chooses to fall rather than join the Dark Side with his father.

well, sorry to bring this party down....

U

Unregistered

Luke Screaming

I read on another review that they removed Luke screaming so that helps in my decision to purchase this set, which as of now after hearing that I will definately make a purchase

O

outsider

Audioholic
I will go rent the new edition to see just how bad or good it really is. As of now my expectations are so low that I might just be impressed.

M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
Got the set yesterday. The pq is awesome! The sound isn't shabby either. I would have prefered to get the originals, but I heard no good negative exists to create the DVDs from. Two thumps up!

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Picked the pack up yesterday... wow! All of the added effects from 1997 have been enhanced even further and blend so much better! I still despise the ROTJ Jabba's Palace "dance number" and the ROTJ ending celebration music. The original Ewok music was more than appropriate... :mad:

However, the rest of the movies never looked or sounded so good. Not even the 1997 theatrical release had this level of visual quality. The colors and detail are extreme! Beautiful!

Got mine yesterday at Wal-Mart for $42... still shrinkwrapped until Friday when I'll be having a movie night showing of Star Wars at my home. 100" screen showing of Episode IV - I love home theater!

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I should add that if you have an Xbox, the bonus disc has a single-player demo of the Star Wars Battlefront game that you can play. It's pretty fun, but it supports 480p widescreen and has a superb soundtrack/effects.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I am attending a marathon viewing party on Saturday and can hardly wait!!!

Wondering if any of you who have already seen, and have good HT surround, have noticed any of the audio issues noted at The Digital Bits. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa94.html#ep4audio

I'll be listening for them on Sat, but my friend's room is kind of an odd layout (roughly 10' deep and about 22' wide - yeah, we sit pretty close to the LCD RP), so I may not be able to tell.

Even if the audio is a little flawed, I have no doubt that the sound and vid quality is the best any of us have ever seen.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I actually did watch all three, one after another, on Tues when they came out. Sure, I do take exception to some of the crap Lucas added to the films (especially in Jedi), but the technical qualities are hard to fault. The picture is stunning (in a way almost too good- some of the puppets are easily identifiable as such with the increased resolution), and the sound is fanastic.

There'll probably never be a version that will meet with my complete approval (ie, restored/remastered, with effects cleaned up but no completely new content), but this will certainly suffice.

T

teknostalgia

I must say 'it is the duty of a patriot to question his government'. I love Star Wars but was very disappointed with the DVD. Picture was great but we have been waiting for years for this release. Only Carrie Fisher could be bothered to do an audio commentry, that is unforgivable to the fans that helped make Hamill and Ford household names.

Don't be fooled into discussing which version is better. As fans we deserve more, where are the deleted scenes that we know exist? Also out-takes? Please question this because we are being conned by Lucas. He will re-release these in a few years with more extras, and we will pay because we are fans.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hawke said:
Got mine yesterday at Wal-Mart for $42... still shrinkwrapped until Friday when I'll be having a movie night showing of Star Wars at my home. 100" screen showing of Episode IV - I love home theater!

Amazon had that price, delivered to some states ;) ,

The LFE is awsome along with all the sounds. The destruction of Alderan in IV has such power, even at below reference levels. Need a monster of an amp to drive it at Ref level. Must be recorded at 0dB full scale.

The picture is awsom as well.

O

outsider

Audioholic
I just watch Empire. I rented it. ANH was out, and I have no desire at all to see Jedi.
Picture quality was excellent. Sound was also quite good. It's very clear that picture and sound were held to the highest of standards. Now, if only the actual story was held to those same standards.
I liked that GL updated the scene with the Emperor, but why did he change the dialogue? For that matter, why was any of the dialogue changed? It made Vader seem like a clueless idiot.
Overall, the viewing of this new edition was a painful experience. I feel as though my childhood has been ruined. Damn, am I glad that I only forked out $3.49 instead of $50.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Picked up my set at Sam's Club yesterday. Man am I excited. So is my six year old daughter. She's a huge Star Wars fan. We started with The Empire Strikes Back, my personal favorite Star Wars Episode. I thought the DVD quality was much improved over the older pre-digital version I saw on TV many years ago. :D Fifty bucks or less for a three disk set is a steal for such classics.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The new Starwars DVD's are awesome! Great video, sound quality, and a few cool added special effects. I felt like a kid again watching them and I loved the expressions on my 4yr old daughters face as she was watching them for the first time. She lives Yoda ;)

A few things I didn't like:
1) They made Han Solo fire first at the green alien in the bar on Episode IV.
2) I didn't like the Han/Jabba dialog by the ship before they leave to space
3) Whats up with the change in face of Annakin at the end of Jedi?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The technical quality of these dvd's is superb, however, I too was a little irked by some of the changes but liked some of them too. My 9 year old was mesmerized by them, much more so than the new ones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis