Exclusive Denon AVR-3805 First Look!

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
One wonders how many sales Denon lost with that remote. It took me three months to "adopt" it. If it came with a Logitech Harmony style remote, imagine the market share!
I wouldnt let a remote be a deal maker or breaker. It doesnt make the receiver sound any different, bad or good. I know some put great stock into a remote.

B

BrettSelinsky

Audiophyte
Please Help!!!!!!!!!

I just traded my 2500 yammi for a 3805. Came home bi-amped it within itself and lost all the lows. Yes, i removed the jumpers on my polks and tested the polks after the fact and they are fine. Please tell me I didnt blow the zone 3 amp. I did everything to the tee from the review. I played it 1/2 hr at low volume because the Mrs. and my daughter are sleeping and the lows just disappeared.It sounded great bi-amped til then!! Please help!! :mad:

I cant even get zone 3 to turn on now?

Thanks
Brett

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
BrettSelinsky said:
I just traded my 2500 yammi for a 3805. Came home bi-amped it within itself and lost all the lows. Yes, i removed the jumpers on my polks and tested the polks after the fact and they are fine. Please tell me I didnt blow the zone 3 amp. I did everything to the tee from the review. I played it 1/2 hr at low volume because the Mrs. and my daughter are sleeping and the lows just disappeared.It sounded great bi-amped til then!! Please help!! :mad:

I cant even get zone 3 to turn on now?

Thanks
Brett
Go back and double check that you did not turn off or turn down the volume on zone 3 accidentely. It's easy to do with the remote. The zone 3 must be highlighted on the remote in order for the zone 3 functions to work. Also double check that you did not change the input for zone 3. I've had mine bi-amped for six months now with no issues.

B

BrettSelinsky

Audiophyte
Im an idiot. I got it to work again. I dont even know what I did to get it to work again. I think I had zone 3 ASSigned to something else?

Thanks
Brett

R

rmorris1

Audiophyte
bi-amp volume question

very nice article and description of the bi-amping process, - the new B&W 804s sound great with this setup (they're not even broken in yet).

One question though, the article states: "the MASTER VOLUME (main zone) will control ALL channels INCLUDING the LOW FREQUENCY part of the speaker".

I may have missed something or hit a setting that I shouldn't have whilst stumbling though the procedures, but the volume must be adjusted on both MAIN and ZONE 3 to adjust volume and have it sound correct, (i.e. the master volume does not control the low frequency/zone 3 volume).

Any thoughts or guidance on where I erred would be appreciated.

R

RMK!

rmorris1 said:
very nice article and description of the bi-amping process, - the new B&W 804s sound great with this setup (they're not even broken in yet).

One question though, the article states: "the MASTER VOLUME (main zone) will control ALL channels INCLUDING the LOW FREQUENCY part of the speaker".

I may have missed something or hit a setting that I shouldn't have whilst stumbling though the procedures, but the volume must be adjusted on both MAIN and ZONE 3 to adjust volume and have it sound correct, (i.e. the master volume does not control the low frequency/zone 3 volume).

Any thoughts or guidance on where I erred would be appreciated.
My understanding of this is the zone 3 volume only controls the low frequency of your main speakers (bass volume). Once you leave the zone three volume adjust (I set mine plus 3dB) the main "master" volume control adjusts both main and zone three volume.

R

rmorris1

Audiophyte
hidog1 said:
My understanding of this is the zone 3 volume only controls the low frequency of your main speakers (bass volume). Once you leave the zone three volume adjust (I set mine plus 3dB) the main "master" volume control adjusts both main and zone three volume.
that was my understanding also, but the master volume only adjusts the higher frequencies (I still have to adjust the zone 3 when changing volume). It makes me think that I missed something or accidentally turned-on another setting that I shouldn't have . . .

Duffinator

Duffinator

rmorris1 said:
that was my understanding also, but the master volume only adjusts the higher frequencies (I still have to adjust the zone 3 when changing volume). It makes me think that I missed something or accidentally turned-on another setting that I shouldn't have . . .
I'm not at home to look at it but I believe there is a fixed or variable setting in the zone 3 setup. Make sure you have selected variable. Once out of the zone 3 control on your remote the master volume control will control both.

R

rmorris1

Audiophyte
I couldn't find how to set zone 3 to "variable", though there must be a way, as everyone else seems to be able to do this.
The manual (pg 69) shows a diagram with the words: "ZONE3 AUDIO OUT(FIXED OUT)", and shows zone 2 as VARIABLE OUT. Should I be trying to control the volume with zone 2? Something is not adding up here . . .

Duffinator

Duffinator

rmorris1 said:
I couldn't find how to set zone 3 to "variable", though there must be a way, as everyone else seems to be able to do this.
The manual (pg 69) shows a diagram with the words: "ZONE3 AUDIO OUT(FIXED OUT)", and shows zone 2 as VARIABLE OUT. Should I be trying to control the volume with zone 2? Something is not adding up here . . .
I could be wrong on that. I'll check mine tonight when I get home and get back with you.

Duffinator

Duffinator

rmorris1 said:
I checked mine and of course you're right there's no variable on zone 3, just zone 2. I'd run through the instructions again, making sure you are selecting the proper input (VDP) to loop the preout into and check off each item on the list. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're turning off zone 3 when you exit? The remote can be a bit confusing. Let us know if you figure it out.

R

rmorris1

Audiophyte
Duffinator, thank you for checking, I really appreciate it.
A possible cross-up may be the cables running from:
"[PRE OUT LEFT & RIGHT] and run it to the Red and White jacks labeled [VDP]".
There are 5 "pre-outs" to select from, I first tried the "front" jacks and had no success, then plugged into the "surr back/multizone", which is where they are now. Perhaps they should run from "pre out - front" to VDP?

R

RMK!

rmorris1 said:
Duffinator, thank you for checking, I really appreciate it.
A possible cross-up may be the cables running from:
"[PRE OUT LEFT & RIGHT] and run it to the Red and White jacks labeled [VDP]".
There are 5 "pre-outs" to select from, I first tried the "front" jacks and had no success, then plugged into the "surr back/multizone", which is where they are now. Perhaps they should run from "pre out - front" to VDP?
In the review of the Denon 3805 the biamping instructions were; use a "short stereo cable pair" to connect the Preout left and right to the red and white VDP.

rmorris, The review is a little vague on this. My 3805 is connected as follows

RCA type cable pair from the Pre Out (Front Channel) L & R to the (Audio In) VDP left and right.
Zone three volume adjusts the bass volume of the front speakers only relative to the mid/highs of the fronts. Main volume control increases volume of both bass and mid/highs in sync.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rmorris1

Audiophyte
I will try moving the "pre-outs" back to "front" from "surr back/multizone". I suspected this may have been the problem, but I got nuttin' when I tried it the first time, (volume may have been down or off).
BTW, do you guys get sufficient rear effect audio with the rears plugged into the middle set of surround inputs?
Thanks again for all of your help.

R

RMK!

rmorris1 said:
I will try moving the "pre-outs" back to "front" from "surr back/multizone". I suspected this may have been the problem, but I got nuttin' when I tried it the first time, (volume may have been down or off).
BTW, do you guys get sufficient rear effect audio with the rears plugged into the middle set of surround inputs?
Thanks again for all of your help.
rmorris1,

I use the reccomended "Surround A" which are the first set of Surround Inputs. I have used the distance settings in Speaker Setup to increase/decrease surround effect to the rears.

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
Osd

How do I get "on screen display" through component video with the 3805? :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mwc said:
How do I get "on screen display" through component video with the 3805? :confused:
You don't. Use a single yellow rca from the "monitor out" at the bottom of the 3805 to a separate rca yellow "in" on the back of your tv set. ie If your receiver is hooked to component 1 "in" on the tv (you probably only have 1 set of component "ins" on the tv), use video 2 for the yellow rca.

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply Buckeyefan 1.

I didn't think it was possible until I noticed that the "A/V Processor/Receiver Comparison Checklist Summary Chart"

<http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/processorscompared01.phpon>

located on this site shows that the 3805 has "OSD support for component video". I simply may be confused about what the comparison chart is showing.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mwc said:
Thanks for the reply Buckeyefan 1.

I didn't think it was possible until I noticed that the "A/V Processor/Receiver Comparison Checklist Summary Chart"

<http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/processorscompared01.phpon>

located on this site shows that the 3805 has "OSD support for component video". I simply may be confused about what the comparison chart is showing.
The summary chart is incorrect. There's no need for component OSD since Denon's OSD is in black and white.

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
So, what does one do if one wants to see the volume/mute/etc. displayed (momentarily) on screen while in DVD mode which is hooked up with component?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis