Exclusive Denon AVR-3805 First Look!

Turn off the AC. But in theory it will tell you if there is too much ambient noise.

I am working with Denon on the mono manually-tuned FM stations issue.

Last edited:
J

jbliz

Enthusiast
OK everyone, no more distracting hawke, we must leave him alone so that he can focus all of his efforts on the Denon 3805 review. The end of the month is rapidly drawing near.

S

stockmarket14

Denon 3805 vs. Pioneer Elite 55TXi

Jbliz: What would be the difference between 40 MHz vs. 100 MHz component video bandwidth in terms of actual DVD picture quality? Will the 100 MHz component video bandwidth provides HDTV image from DVD?
I am also debating between Denon 3805 and Pioneer 55TXi.

jbliz said:
<font color='#000000'>That Denon 3805 does look like a really nice unit. I'm trying to decide between the Denon and the Pioneer 55TXi. They both have their pros and cons, but I'm leaning toward the Denon at this point.

On one hand, the Denon has PLIIx, 3 Component inputs with 100Mhz bandwidth (vs 40Mhz on the Pioneer), and more optical inputs.

On the other hand, the Pioneer has gold plated connectors, THX certification, more power, cheaper street price, USB port for playing MP3's from computer, and an i.link that will work with other manufacturer's players, and an autocalibration system (MCACC) that's not in it's first generation.

From what i've listed, it looks like I should buy the Pioneer. However, I'm setting up a 7.1 system, so PLIIx is really important to me, and 3 component inputs is a huge plus. I'll likely wait until the price comes down a bit to buy the Denon if I go that route.

Oh, and hello everyone, this is my first post here.

John</font>

J

jbliz

Enthusiast
stockmarket14,

"Jbliz: What would be the difference between 40 MHz vs. 100 MHz component video bandwidth in terms of actual DVD picture quality?"

No difference, 40 MHz is enough bandwidth to handle 480p.

Will the 100 MHz component video bandwidth provides HDTV image from DVD?

No, the Denon does not do anything to the video signal, it just passes it through. However, it's able to pass through more because of greater bandwidth. I saw a table once that outlined the bandwidth required for each HD format. I can't find it now, but I remember 40 MHz was not quite enough.

John

P.S. Where the heck is the review? Next year's model will be out before it is complete.

F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
Universal SACD and DVD-A Link

Any idea how long until the industry gets together on a universal link for SACD and DVD-A?

L

laurie

Enthusiast
hawke said:
Almost there.... Sorry...
Why should you be Clint it's not that we here are paying for this! you have other things to do take your time and thanks for your efforts
cheers laurie

J

jbliz

Enthusiast
fife,

there's is a standard, but unfortunately, Denon decided to go proprietary. It's the one thing I hate about the 3805. Hopefully Pioneer will come out with a replacement for the 55TXi before I pull the trigger on the Denon. Not likely though.

A

Access Denied

Enthusiast
I have a feeling Denon is just waiting for Sony to authorize SACD through the D-Link and then Denon will release more moderately priced units to match the 3805. I don't think Denon will ask 3805 owners to pay $2000.00 for a 5900 just to get the D-Link function. I think lower cost D-Link units from Denon are not far away. IMHO

U

Unregistered

any updated projection as to when well see the 3805 review? thanks!

J

jbliz

Enthusiast
Wow, that's gonna be a monster of a review huh? I appreciate your thoroughness, if that is even a word.

M

moab

Just tell me if its better then the HK 7200 and I will buy one tomorrow.

S

selfar

Enthusiast
hawke said:
I'm on page 13 (in MS Word) and I haven't yet started writing about my listening tests... I'm getting there.

Any news about the 3805 review.

OK. Review will be posted on Thursday. It is about 20 pages in MS Word.

Little tidbit for the curious public: You can use the (unused) surround back channels to biamp your main speakers, thus giving you 240Watts/channel on your mains. Of course that is only if you are running 5.1, not 7.1. I am running it in this configuration right now and it provides quite a bit more control over the low end, especially on my 4-ohm RBH Sound 1266-LSEs which are not efficient speakers to drive.

The review will contain instructions on how to do this.

Pretty impressive for a $1200 receiver!

L

laurie

Enthusiast
You can use the (unused) surround back channels to biamp your main speakers
hawke
Will this setup prevent you from using the auto setup using the mic! and many thanks for the forth coming review :p
cheers laurie

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis