Erin's Audio Corner (my new review YouTube channel/website)

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Ugh. On all the plots above, add about 0.80dB. I had a lingering piece of code I didn't comment out which subtracted an offset. This is why I like to sleep on things before posting data.

Anyway... I fixed it. When I get the site updated with all the other data I'll link here. Just for now, make that mental note.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
FINALLY!!!!! I have finally completed my review of the Buchardt S400. I have spent countless hours on this, as you probably know by me posting my progress of everything over the last couple months.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/buchardt_audio_s400_bookshelf/

One thing I have done differently from what I've seen is my polar spectrograms. We typically see spectrograms for a speaker "linearized" in to a rectangular shape. I was thinking, it would be neat to actually represent the data the way it comes from the speaker; in a 360° manner. Or occasionally we will see a polar plot with a single line representing a frequency, maybe with a few lines to represent multiple frequencies overlaid. But nothing that is really intuitive. So, I created these new polar plots for horizontal and vertical spl mapping of the speaker's radiation pattern both vertically and horizontally. Two versions of each. One is absolute output and the other is relative to the 0 degree axis. Not sure if anyone here will appreciate it as much as I am proud of it. And I'm sure someone will have something to say about how they prefer a different color or whatever... but dangit, I'm proud and I'm leaving it as is because it looks good to me. I think it's a better way of viewing the data. Some may not prefer it. But that's why I've offered the standard versions as well. Anyway, make sure to use the legend in the top left to get your bearings on the speaker direction relative to the radiation pattern.

I plan to make a video review but that's gonna be a bit. I need a break. For now, this written review will have to do.

I hope you guys get as much out of this as I have put in to it. I need a friggin' break now...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FINALLY!!!!! I have finally completed my review of the Buchardt S400. I have spent countless hours on this, as you probably know by me posting my progress of everything over the last couple months.

One thing I have done differently from what I've seen is my polar spectrograms. We typically see spectrograms for a speaker "linearized" in to a rectangular shape. I was thinking, it would be neat to actually represent the data the way it comes from the speaker; in a 360° manner. Or occasionally we will see a polar plot with a single line representing a frequency, maybe with a few lines to represent multiple frequencies overlaid. But nothing that is really intuitive. So, I created these new polar plots for horizontal and vertical spl mapping of the speaker's radiation pattern both vertically and horizontally. Two versions of each. One is absolute output and the other is relative to the 0 degree axis. Not sure if anyone here will appreciate it as much as I am proud of it. And I'm sure someone will have something to say about how they prefer a different color or whatever... but dangit, I'm proud and I'm leaving it as is because it looks good to me. I think it's a better way of viewing the data. Some may not prefer it. But that's why I've offered the standard versions as well. Anyway, make sure to use the legend in the top left to get your bearings on the speaker direction relative to the radiation pattern.

I plan to make a video review but that's gonna be a bit. I need a break. For now, this written review will have to do.

I hope you guys get as much out of this as I have put in to it. I need a friggin' break now...
On a quick survey, nothing stood out as weird. :) I like the Hor. and Verts shown as both versions. Seeing it in 360 is a trip as I got used to the Phallus. :p

Looking forward to going back and reading it when I have more energy!

Cheers!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That is an excellent review of this bookshelf speaker.

In my opinion, this speaker shows a very bad phase angle curve below 100 Hz and is definitely hard to drive. I would not recommend it to someone who wants to drive it with an AVR.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Amazing review. I don't think a speaker could receive more scrutiny than that! I am definitely looking forward to more of your reviews.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Amazing review. I don't think a speaker could receive more scrutiny than that! I am definitely looking forward to more of your reviews.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the support.

I posted the review as a new topic here so it wouldn't get lost in this thread (since this thread is more of my "catch all".

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Very impressive set of measurements. You probably did more measurements than the vast majority of speaker manufacturers ever considered doing. I'd suggest you sell your services to manufacturers in development of speakers, but I doubt they'd be willing to pay for it when they're all already staffed by so many golden-eared audiophiles who hear better than measurements ever could! ;-)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just spent way too much time watching stuff on your site and YouTube. My take away was no cussin' and a sub for the truck needs to happen. Looking forward to checking out more. The time alignment video reminded me to fine tune my computer speakers. It's an odd set up but small shifts of 0.5' were clearly audible. It was interesting and helped the sound. Cool. Thanks.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Just an update on my progress...

I have just completed testing of the Neumi BS5 bookshelf speaker.

I have been in talks with Neumi since I shared the review with them and they have been nice enough to offer up a pair of the BS5 speakers for me to giveaway. I mentioned this in the thread linked above.

I have also been in talks with a couple manufacturers on receiving some review samples (of stuff I cannot afford to purchase myself) and should be seeing product within the end of the month. Overall, the COVID-19 situation has caused many to have to cease production and/or not be able to get to their review samples so we are just waiting it out. I even had an hour-long skype chat with one yesterday morning so they could get a feel for who I am and my goals ... it was a truly great conversation. I have never spoken with a manufacturer who has been so willing to share information with me and appreciates what we all are trying to do with the science of things. It was really cool. I'll share more details when their product arrives.

I also spent about an hour on skype with Klippel Wednesday morning, giving and receiving input on how we both can make the process easier for me and some things they plan to address in the future. Those folks are awesome!

And, finally.... When I started this venture my goal was to conduct my reviews via YouTube and my website was to be the location where the data was placed. It takes hours and hours to type up a review and a video is more "my speed". As part of the YT review I would use my site in screen-capture mode, scroll through the data and discuss the analysis. Well, I got a bit excited about testing and ran through the Buchardt, Jamo and Neumi speakers without taking time to do a YT review before moving to the next one. Therefore, I am purposely not testing anything for the next few weeks so I can start working on those videos. I don't know how it's going to turn out but I gotta start somewhere.

So, yea... good stuff coming. I appreciate all the support from you folks here. :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Just an update on my progress...

I have just completed testing of the Neumi BS5 bookshelf speaker.

I have been in talks with Neumi since I shared the review with them and they have been nice enough to offer up a pair of the BS5 speakers for me to giveaway. I mentioned this in the thread linked above.

I have also been in talks with a couple manufacturers on receiving some review samples (of stuff I cannot afford to purchase myself) and should be seeing product within the end of the month. Overall, the COVID-19 situation has caused many to have to cease production and/or not be able to get to their review samples so we are just waiting it out. I even had an hour-long skype chat with one yesterday morning so they could get a feel for who I am and my goals ... it was a truly great conversation. I have never spoken with a manufacturer who has been so willing to share information with me and appreciates what we all are trying to do with the science of things. It was really cool. I'll share more details when their product arrives.

I also spent about an hour on skype with Klippel Wednesday morning, giving and receiving input on how we both can make the process easier for me and some things they plan to address in the future. Those folks are awesome!

And, finally.... When I started this venture my goal was to conduct my reviews via YouTube and my website was to be the location where the data was placed. It takes hours and hours to type up a review and a video is more "my speed". As part of the YT review I would use my site in screen-capture mode, scroll through the data and discuss the analysis. Well, I got a bit excited about testing and ran through the Buchardt, Jamo and Neumi speakers without taking time to do a YT review before moving to the next one. Therefore, I am purposely not testing anything for the next few weeks so I can start working on those videos. I don't know how it's going to turn out but I gotta start somewhere.

So, yea... good stuff coming. I appreciate all the support from you folks here. :)

Thank you for embracing science and sharing these series of measurements that do well to define a product's quality. Glad to hear more manufacturers are signing up! Keep up the great work!

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Our very own @KEW made a 3.5 hour drive (one-way) over the weekend to deliver some speakers for me to test.

Philharmonic BMR
Focal Twin 6 Be
Canton Chrono SL 536.2
Canton Vento 830.2
Mirage OMD-5 (this one intrigues me

I don’t know when these all will be tested because I am hoping/planning on a couple manufacturers to send me their speakers that will jump ahead of the pack. But I plan to start soon.

I also ordered a set of the Micca MB42X to see how they compare to the Neumi BS5 I just tested. Those are scheduled to arrive today.

I also have a line on some Bose 901 IV's

Lots of good things happening that I’m really excited about. Thanks for playing along, everyone.

- Erin

E1EDF374-C5E1-4DA1-ABFC-EB6EBC2173A8.jpeg

16E356CA-0C5F-477E-AC83-37678CFE2F16.jpeg

2DE9EBC5-F730-439A-BA5C-EFEA51927426.jpeg

1003338F-0D57-44AD-8958-00256CD83FA4.jpeg

814A74DB-4122-4C2D-854A-F3D3CBA2D301.jpeg

7BA708BF-AE15-4055-8240-C3CE5B5D0F83.jpeg

4D0A2E99-C692-49B9-8428-23335CD3637D.jpeg

FFBC3FAA-C2A3-4B9D-87BA-9A0E7C614292.jpeg

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
It will be cool to read your impressions vs @KEW

You'll have them all fully reviewed by Friday, right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I had all those in my house I'd have to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming... :p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It will be cool to read your impressions vs @KEW
Yes to that, but moreover, measurements!
Aside from the Mirage omnidirectional, these represent the best tweeters i have heard (Canton Ceramic, RAAL, and Focal Be) and I am looking forward to seeing how they compare on the "test bench"!

I only took one of the Canton Chrono SL 536.2 because my Volt was getting pretty full. The Focal Twins and BMR's are both what I call "too big" bookshelf speakers and take up a lot of space. The BMR's and OMD's packed out the hatch/trunk, the three Canton speakers went across the back seat, and the Focals stood up on the floor behind and in front of the passenger seat. Liberal use of blankets and wedged pillows snugged them up enough that I think they'd survive an emergency handling event ... as long as I kept the rubber side (of the car) down!

The idea of the single Chrono is to test it to see if measurements indicated that the drivers are essentially the same as the Vento. I cannot compare part numbers because Canton changed the color (anodized finish) on the woofer and the mounting system on both, woofer and tweeter. Identical crossovers (down to every part number) and my ears say they are the same, aside from the nicer curved cabinet on the Vento.
If the drivers are identical, I am not sure there is too much reason to spend the time on the full test protocol unless Erin gets intrigued in seeing details of what differences the cabinet makes.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I also ordered a set of the Micca MB42X to see how they compare to the Neumi BS5 I just tested. Those are scheduled to arrive today.

I also have a line on some Bose 901 IV's

Lots of good things happening that I’m really excited about. Thanks for playing along, everyone.

- Erin
Very cool! I am looking forward to seeing the results for those speakers.

One cheap speaker that might compare favorably to the Micca and Neumi speakers is the Dayton MK402X, this is not to be confused with the regular MK402 that I reviewed and has since been discontinued. The MK402X has a crossover that addresses the hot tweeter so it is supposedly a more neutral speaker. It's pretty cheap, but you might get in contact with Parts Express and see if they will send you a pair for review.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Klippel released their new build along with some updated modules overnight. I am now using their latest Multitone Distortion module (MTON) with In-Situ Room Compensation (ISC) module to get *true* distortion performance in the farfield. Why is this special? Because measuring in the nearfield reduces noisefloor (reflections, mainly) but it isn't far enough to get the true speaker summation of a multi-way speaker. Meaning, in the nearfield you are biased toward one speaker or another. It's an OK way to get performance but it's not as accurate as gathering the data in the farfield.

With MTON I am able to use an IEC or CEA-2010 standard to determine the maximum SPL It takes some time to set this up but having the ability to provide a real actual max SPL based on a real standard (rather than a method that everyone disagrees with and is not accepted) is worth it in the end. Here's some discussion on one standard: https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/News/Electrical and Mechanical Measurements of Loudspeakers and Sound System Equipment.pdf

There are short signal max SPL versions as well as long-term max SPL (my favorite). There are, naturally, some caveats to the testing. Such as little bookshelf speakers are being sent 20-20kHz signal but I can alter that. I am currently re-running a test on the Neumi BS5 with an 80-20kHz signal and it's (obviously) able to take more voltage before it hits the max long-term SPL than it can with a 20-20k signal. So, I may wind up performing a dual-test in these cases. But we will see.

Either way, it took some time for Klippel to deliver the latest update but I am on top of it and already getting some excellent information from the modules.

I just made this short video to give you an idea of what these modules allow me to do.

First... Turn down your volume! I play a multitone signal twice in this video and it’s gonna be pretty loud.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Erin would you review this budget subwoofer?
Nero Tubebass-10

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
If you have one and want to cover shipping costs then I might be able to in the future.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you have one and want to cover shipping costs then I might be able to in the future.
Thanks for offering, Erin. I don’t have it yet. It’s most depending on my job situation in August. I’ll let you know.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
These represent the best tweeters i have heard (Canton Ceramic, RAAL, and Focal Be) and I am looking forward to seeing how they compare on the "test bench"!
@KEW - How did the Canton Ceramic, RAAL, and Focal Be sound to your ears? Did you have a favorite?
BTW what are you using for speakers now that you loaned out all of these? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis