ER18 build (for real this time!)

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Looks good, Matt. I assume you epoxy the threaded inserts in place ??

Dave

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Looks good, Matt. I assume you epoxy the threaded inserts in place ??

Dave
Tightbond II. Works well. Never tried epoxy though, maybe better? I haven't had a prob w/ the Tightbond... yet ;)

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Question, should I bevel the backs of the woofer cutouts on the back of the baffles like I did the backs of the statements?

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
All the threaded inserts are in, got the port hole cut out, woofer holes are scalloped on the back side, and aside from a little sanding on the port hole (it's a little tight) everything fits :D. Tomorrow I'll mount the xovers to the back baffle and drill in the binding posts, then Its go time for cabinet assembly!! Hope to be listening to these on sunday....

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Dang ! You are just too fast man, & quality too. Way to go, hope you are listening on Sunday. I also plan to bevel the backside of the woofer holes. It's not in the plans but from everything I've read, it's a good idea.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Got to work like a dog on these last weekend!!! Even got some waterskiing in on Sunday as well, was a great weekend :D!

Xovers mounted plus I used a screw plate so I can take everything out independantly w/out a huge mess of wires. Worked well. Originally, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to access much through the speaker holes, but that wasn't the case at all. Everything is accessible. If I ever had to replace my binding posts it would be a little frustrating though; hope that never happens!! Xovers are mounted right behind the woofers and tweeter.

Glued and clamped:

Drivers installed and even got some listening in :cool:

I should save this for later so know that this is before the port or the stuffing is in them (port hole is cut in, but port isn't in them yet); but I'll give some brief impressions.

I'm using my el'cheapo Kenwood receiver (85 watts/channel) to drive these. I'm guessing they're way underpowered for now. When I finish them they'll go in my basement and get more power.

These play bass very well, I'm impressed! I'll even say they play bass as well as the Statements (I know that's a fairly bold thing to say, but I'd need a decibal meter to know which ones have more bass). Highs are very smooth, warm, and fairly detailed. Before I make this next statement, remember that there's no stuffing or port in them yet!... I think the Satements have more definition; the Statements have an amazing ability to 'surround' me. I've never heard speakers that do that as well as the Statements. A lot of that will improve in the ER18s once the stuffing and port are in; but I have the feeling the ER18s won't rival the Statements in the detail department. This doesn't mean I'm disappointed at all in the ER18s, I'm not- they sound amazing even w/out being finished.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything because the ER18s aren't even done yet, but thats all I'll say. I'll do a comparison thread once I get them side by side (the Statements and the ER18s). I still plan on taking them to Meniscus to get a real side by side comparison from them. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on them so far. I hope I'm not disappointing anyone building the ER18s, not my intention at all- because the ER18s sound amazing!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Thanks for the build thread and the follow up. I can't wait till you get these finished and a comparison done.

My money is still on the Statements:D

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Congratulations, they look good ! The bass should improve even more with the port in. I can't quite tell from the pictures, but it looks like you did not use the shadow piece on the base, the speaker appears to be mounted straight to the floor base piece.

You're not disappointing me, I've never heard the Statements, & in any case, I think the Statements are a notch up anyway- 3 ways vs 2 ways, more money, bigger bass drivers, etc. Looking forward to hearing my own someday.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Congratulations, they look good ! The bass should improve even more with the port in. I can't quite tell from the pictures, but it looks like you did not use the shadow piece on the base, the speaker appears to be mounted straight to the floor base piece.

You're not disappointing me, I've never heard the Statements, & in any case, I think the Statements are a notch up anyway- 3 ways vs 2 ways, more money, bigger bass drivers, etc. Looking forward to hearing my own someday.
Totally agree. By the time you finish everything on the Statements (if you veneer), you're about $300-$400 more for those over the ER18s.

I didn't do the shadow piece yet. I'll do that after I get the veneer on the cabinets. Right now my ER18s are basically raw mdf, except for the cherry portion of the front baffle. I don't even have gaskets on the woofers yet, so its still entirely unfair to compare at this point. Just thought I'd throw some of my thoughts out there.

I also know they'll improve all the way around once I get the stuffing and port in them. Plus, speakers always sound waaay better once they're broke in and that usually takes a good week of pounding on them!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit skeptical of the kenwood receiver... you've got something else inside right?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Going to have a chance to compare my Statements to a pair of Aerial Acoustic LR5's in the next few weeks.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit skeptical of the kenwood receiver... you've got something else inside right?
My plan was to try to run them w/ a Pioneer SX-950 receiver that I have. I love it's looks and it works very well. If that's under powered I'll get a new amp. The Kenwood in the garage is just for my Tritrix. I also have a good Yamaha ht receiver but that won't be used for the ER18s.

Believe it or not, the Kenwood I have is a KR-A5020 and actually works and sounds pretty solid for what it is and how cheap I got it. For a garage receiver it works very well :) But I agree it's no match for the ER18s.

Going to have a chance to compare my Statements to a pair of Aerial Acoustic LR5's in the next few weeks.
I highly anticipate your honest opinion here!!!! That's a tall order for those Statements in my opinion, not going to lie! Not saying they won't win, the Statements are awesome. But the AA's are fantastic too!!

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the build thread and the follow up. I can't wait till you get these finished and a comparison done.

My money is still on the Statements:D
Just spoke w/ Mark at Meniscus. He has someone that's also going to bring their Mini Statements to the audition :D:cool:!! Very much anticipate this! No dates locked in yet; we're working on that. I'll keep you posted....

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Got to work on these last weekend. Hopefully tonight I'll get the tops veneered.

As far as the strips, it has potential but I'll never do it the same way again. I made the strips for the front 1/4" thick and they were pretty simple; just brush Titebond on and clamp away. I made the strips for the sides about 3/32" thick and those weren't quite so user friendly :mad:. Once I brushed the Titebond on they wanted to curl in a bad way. So I had to hurry to try to get all the strips brushed and laying on there so I didn't have a big mess. It worked, but I'll be sanding these till the new millenium. Going forward, when I resaw veneer, 1/4" is as thin as I'd like to go.

It's an interesting look, elegant meets rustic. Can't wait to see how they turn out once I get them all sanded and start brushing the blond shellac on!!

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
More done. Tonight I hope to get the tops routed w/ my flush trimming bit, then I'll be sanding til kingdom come.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Finally, they take shape!

First I hit these w/ some 80grit on the belt sander :eek:, then went over them w/ some 100 grit on the RO sander. Still have to hit em again w/ some 150, then again w/ some 220; but I'm going to put these in my basement for this coming week while I'm on vacation. It's a muggy 92 degrees in my garage, and a dehumidified 78 in my basement. Anyone that's done hardwood flooring knows what a disaster that can be when it comes to environment changes and wood (expanding and contracting). Hoping its not an issue, but I'd hate to spend all that time w/ finish and find out it is.

Very happy w/ the way these turned out. I have to honestly say I was pretty worried, soooo much work for this to not turn out!! I still have to make the cherry bases. I'm kind of torn on making a regular base w/ the shadow peice, or getting some cherry claw feet like you'd find on a Kindel chair.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Finally, they take shape!

First I hit these w/ some 80grit on the belt sander :eek:, then went over them w/ some 100 grit on the RO sander. Still have to hit em again w/ some 150, then again w/ some 220; but I'm going to put these in my basement for this coming week while I'm on vacation. It's a muggy 92 degrees in my garage, and a dehumidified 78 in my basement. Anyone that's done hardwood flooring knows what a disaster that can be when it comes to environment changes and wood (expanding and contracting). Hoping its not an issue, but I'd hate to spend all that time w/ finish and find out it is.

Very happy w/ the way these turned out. I have to honestly say I was pretty worried, soooo much work for this to not turn out!! I still have to make the cherry bases. I'm kind of torn on making a regular base w/ the shadow peice, or getting some cherry claw feet like you'd find on a Kindel chair.

Man, claw feet would certainly be classy. I don't think I've ever seen that and a quick google didn't turn up anything. Almost a steampunk type look. I vote, go for it.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Man, claw feet would certainly be classy. I don't think I've ever seen that and a quick google didn't turn up anything. Almost a steampunk type look. I vote, go for it.
After some digging, all the claw feet I can find are too tall- like 6" tall. Thinking a cherry shadow base is the way to go. I did find some 3" pewter balls that were kind of cool, but pricey at $39 ea. Satin or flat black 3" balls would be cool too, but not at $320 for the 8 I'd need :eek:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
After some digging, all the claw feet I can find are too tall- like 6" tall. Thinking a cherry shadow base is the way to go. I did find some 3" pewter balls that were kind of cool, but pricey at $39 ea. Satin or flat black 3" balls would be cool too, but not at $320 for the 8 I'd need :eek:
Matt

Those cherry cabinets look excellent! Keep sanding, and when you get a chance, wipe them with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. It will temporarily darken the wood and highlight some grain, kind of like being clear coated.

My 2¢, save some cash and make the shadow base. I think cherry would look great if you have it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis