Equalizer or no Equalizer.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Seriously using graphic eq as superior vs peq?
Ah parametric EQ. I don't know. Still thinking. Needs to be easy to use and adjust for one concert. I guess I should check. I've never seen, much less used one.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Seriously using graphic eq as superior vs peq?
I use the eq’s for mainly music and turn the peq to through . Now for movies I use the peq for movies I bypass the eq’s and turn the peq back on to flat where it’s calibrated too . I’ve also set the eq’s with a RTA then run the auto calibration with good results the Yamahas auto calibration seems to fine tune its self better with less to do in the EQ department.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to not answer the question but those Allison speakers are awesome. I had a pair of the 6 cubes back in the 80s and they had great bass for such small speakers. Currently I use a WIIM Pro Plus for streaming and the WIIM app has a 10 band EQ which works great for me. Enjoy those vintage Allisons! :)

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Sorry to not answer the question but those Allison speakers are awesome. I had a pair of the 6 cubes back in the 80s and they had great bass for such small speakers. Currently I use a WIIM Pro Plus for streaming and the WIIM app has a 10 band EQ which works great for me. Enjoy those vintage Allisons! :)
Thanks I still love them too!
2023 04 23_165027.jpg
2023 04 23_165130.jpg
2023 04 23_165219.jpg

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Beautiful speakers. I know you don’t stream but you can get an inexpensive used Wiim Pro Plus (I paid $129 for mine on eBay) and stream all the Dead and Dead and company shows for free on the Relisten app and EQ on the Wiim app as mentioned. You can adjust each song if you want to from your phone or tablet From your listening seat. It beats getting up to adjust the equipment for this old guy.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Beautiful speakers. I know you don’t stream but you can get an inexpensive used Wiim Pro Plus (I paid $129 for mine on eBay) and stream all the Dead and Dead and company shows for free on the Relisten app and EQ on the Wiim app as mentioned. You can adjust each song if you want to from your phone or tablet From your listening seat. It beats getting up to adjust the equipment for this old guy.
Is the stuff on Relisten really the recording quality that that I get with the official releases from the Grateful Dead and Dead and Company concerts that I've already paid for via CDs or downloads?

Your suggestion did get me thinking though. I usually listen to my library through BluOS to the NAD preamp. BlueOS only has bass/treble tone controls.

But I can still stream over wifi via Airplay to the NAD from iTunes. iTunes has a built in 10 band EQ.

Honestly, I don't know why the BlueOS controller software doesn't have something better than bass and treble.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Is the stuff on Relisten really the recording quality that that I get with the official releases from the Grateful Dead and Dead and Company concerts that I've already paid for via CDs or downloads?

Your suggestion did get me thinking though. I usually listen to my library through BluOS to the NAD preamp. BlueOS only has bass/treble tone controls.

But I can still stream over wifi via Airplay to the NAD from iTunes. iTunes has a built in 10 band EQ.

Honestly, I don't know why the BlueOS controller software doesn't have something better than bass and treble.
Good question about the sound quality. There are recording details usually posted for each show. It sounds okay on my system but again some of the Dave’s picks just sound okay too. Not the same sound quality I hear from the latest studio remasters the Dead have been putting out.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I definitely like having EQ/tone controls. I imagine it's somewhat difficult to get an onboard EQ circuit right when trying to get the lowest noise #s, audible, or otherwise. Not to mention the added expense of adding extra circuits haunting the penny pinchers of the marketing world. What better way to avoid having to implement it than to tell the audiophool purists that it corrupts their lives, even though the majority of those who would even care about such things do good to hear anything above 10khz on a good day.

I never needed it to fix the system, I needed it to fix the crappy recordings I like to listen to sometimes. I have an older system with both EQ and tone controls and it somehow magically makes mainstream pop and rock music enjoyable, while the neutral, pure and revealing gear can't really deal with it at all.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Was just discussing with my brother. He’s had the same system for about 25 years including a graphic EQ that he swears by. Listens to concerts on YouTube and CDs and he loves the sound.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Was just discussing with my brother. He’s had the same system for about 25 years including a graphic EQ that he swears by. Listens to concerts on YouTube and CDs and he loves the sound.
Do equalizers only work with older AVR?pre mic auto set up.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Do equalizers only work with older AVR?pre mic auto set up.
I only ever used EQ with 2-channel. Even then, some people had a good ear for adjustment, and some couldn't EQ their way out of a wet paper bag. Then came the plug'n play era where everything is done for you and most people nowadays just haven't had to develop the skill or the want. EQ'ng tracks or albums was part of the social aspect of group listening sessions that could last hours or even days when a new album came out.

There is no shortage of people complaining about bright speakers and all the other ills and troubleshooting that plague audio now that graphic EQs have been demonized so. People upgrade and change speakers and gear like underwear, and they try to fix their sound with tubes and other gimmicks. You would think that since they figured out what all is so wrong with the old ways, that most problems would have been solved by now but instead, seems like they have gotten even more complicated.

It's kind of comical to me to watch a certain faction of modern audio purists complain about the limitations of graphic EQ or tone controls, yet set out to EQ instead with awkward, expensive and clunky wall treatments and such that are even more bandwidth limited with trying to chase down acoustic problems with next to no flexibility of adjustment at all.

There are no rules that say you can't approach this hobby with and without EQ. It works for some things and is unnecessary for others. With older mainstream music, it helps to have some of the gear and methods of the time that the recording engineers were targeting their sound for, including car audio. Audiophile grade thinking and methods only fit a very tiny section of the population.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I only ever used EQ with 2-channel. Even then, some people had a good ear for adjustment, and some couldn't EQ their way out of a wet paper bag. Then came the plug'n play era where everything is done for you and most people nowadays just haven't had to develop the skill or the want. EQ'ng tracks or albums was part of the social aspect of group listening sessions that could last hours or even days when a new album came out.

There is no shortage of people complaining about bright speakers and all the other ills and troubleshooting that plague audio now that graphic EQs have been demonized so. People upgrade and change speakers and gear like underwear, and they try to fix their sound with tubes and other gimmicks. You would think that since they figured out what all is so wrong with the old ways, that most problems would have been solved by now but instead, seems like they have gotten even more complicated.

It's kind of comical to me to watch a certain faction of modern audio purists complain about the limitations of graphic EQ or tone controls, yet set out to EQ instead with awkward, expensive and clunky wall treatments and such that are even more bandwidth limited with trying to chase down acoustic problems with next to no flexibility of adjustment at all.

There are no rules that say you can't approach this hobby with and without EQ. It works for some things and is unnecessary for others. With older mainstream music, it helps to have some of the gear and methods of the time that the recording engineers were targeting their sound for, including car audio. Audiophile grade thinking and methods only fit a very tiny section of the population.
When I first got into this in the the 1970's I had an EQ and got a new one around 1990. When I recently retired and upgraded my amp and preamp I took my 30-ish year old Audio Control out of the loop because I was tired of either leaving it on all the time or turning it on and off. I would like an EQ again and that's why I've been asking about bypass when the unit is off. I've gotten used to sitting at my computer and the amp and preamp just wake up when I press play on the BluOS software (or any other source)

I don't think that there is a lot that I'd need to EQ but I'd like it for certain concerts that I know are bass heavy. I like the Art units discussed above. I'm now thinking about the EQ355. It's only $240ish.

The only thing that's holding me back is that it's 2 inches wider than my NAD preamp and it would look stupid sitting on top. I'm thinking about how to put it below or some other place to put it.

I will probably get one.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
When I first got into this in the the 1970's I had an EQ and got a new one around 1990. When I recently retired and upgraded my amp and preamp I took my 30-ish year old Audio Control out of the loop because I was tired of either leaving it on all the time or turning it on and off. I would like an EQ again and that's why I've been asking about bypass when the unit is off. I've gotten used to sitting at my computer and the amp and preamp just wake up when I press play on the BluOS software (or any other source)

I don't think that there is a lot that I'd need to EQ but I'd like it for certain concerts that I know are bass heavy. I like the Art units discussed above. I'm now thinking about the EQ355. It's only $240ish.

The only thing that's holding me back is that it's 2 inches wider than my NAD preamp and it would look stupid sitting on top. I'm thinking about how to put it below or some other place to put it.

I will probably get one.
I may get one too.

I have most of my music at my desktop PC and that's pretty much where I hang out when I am indoors. It's essentially like a studio console with nearfield monitors and other speakers I own rotating into that role, along with two subs. I have software EQ on the PC, and EQ for the sub woofers amp on there as well but I like manual controls better.

I am too lazy to use PEQ or DSP. I don't want to think about it that hard. It would be ok for general EQ for the speakers as a set and forget, but would be tedious to me to change for each album. I'd rather use 2 or 3 band tone controls instead of that.

I would mount it to my desk, I think.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, the WIIM app equalizer has 10 bands and I'm only pumping the 32 bass band to augment my Infinity tower speakers which already go down to 38 plus or minus 3. Don't even need a sub.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I got the Art EQ355 a few days ago and like it a lot! The bypass does bypass when off. Despite the warnings in the user manual I don't get any spikes, no sound at all, if I turn it on and off with the amp on. It's silent. If I could wish for anything it would be a remote.

I'm waiting to post a photo over in the what new thing do you buy topic until the bamboo stand comes and I can put the EQ in the stand. Right now the EQ is sitting on top of my NAD preamp and it looks stupid.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I got the Art EQ355 a few days ago and like it a lot! The bypass does bypass when off. Despite the warnings in the user manual I don't get any spikes, no sound at all, if I turn it on and off with the amp on. It's silent. If I could wish for anything it would be a remote.

I'm waiting to post a photo over in the what new thing do you buy topic until the bamboo stand comes and I can put the EQ in the stand. Right now the EQ is sitting on top of my NAD preamp and it looks stupid.
You’ll like this eq I use one in my garage setup and two in my home theater plus one single 31 band on my center channel. Indeed they will pop when turned off with the amp on . The biggest change with them was putting dedicated 20 amp service in for just the theater rig dead quiet now they have been on for 8 months really the whole system has been since I put the 2 - 20 amp lines in . But if turned off always start with the amps first or the eq’s can or will pop when switched off but they operate flawlessly otherwise .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis