B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I think the projector I am leaning towards is the new epson 4010 which is even on sale in Canada for 2300. The only thing is it is hard to find reviews on it and the only place you can buy it is Staples or epson.ca

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You should read reviews of the Epson 4000. The 4010 is not going to be much better than the 4000. That said, the 4000 is supposed to be a fairly solid model. Excellent lens shift and zoom range which is nice. Weak 10.2Gb/s HDMI input.

I would be hard pressed to get it over the DLP models which definitely have sharper resolution and full 18Gb/s HDMI connections. The Optoma UHD51A would be where I would lean on a cheap 4K projector today, but I believe the Epson may deliver better black levels. Not sure what has been put forth as head-to-head comparisons of those two models.

Always worth looking for a B-stock JVC RS440 or RS420 if you want a really incredible projector.

Of course, you should describe the room it's all going into, what your screen size goal is, what your viewing distance is, and the like. I don't really know enough to make any specific recommendation.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Right now I have the epson 2030 and my screen size is 106. My seating is around 13 ft. From the screen

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
The 4010 looks great on paper, has anyone compared to Optima UHD65 projector? 2X color wheel vs 3LCD...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The UHD65 actually delivers on sharper resolution. The Epson will have better contrast.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Well I finally committed and ordered the 4010 now I just gotta find the right mount I was thinking the peerless PRG UNV mount but then I have to find a pole with a ceiling bracket for a slope ceiling. Or just do it the way I did it for my 2030 used a flat mount but under one side cut spacers to go between the ceiling and mount to give it the right angle.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Peerless you mentioned is a good mount. I swear by the Chief RPMU series. (RPMAU) and you get the cathedral ceiling adapter plate and a 1.5" steel pipe of the proper length. It's the LAST mount you will ever need to buy and it works incredibly well.

If you are handy, Chief mounts are nice because you can use steel flat plates (hardware store) and modify almost any mount they have on eBay to fit your projector perfectly. Just bolt the flat plat to the 'wrong' mount, and then to your projector and you have built your own custom plate. From there, you can just hang it on the projector and nobody will know it's not a 'custom' plate. I've done this maybe half a dozen times.

So there's a number of these on eBay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-Projector-Mount/123226130543?epid=1928023677&hash=item1cb0d9886f:g:A30AAOSw7yZbMQX-

Then you need the adapter plate. They have a bunch of those as well. Find a big cheap one and then tweak it to your needs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-SLB-075-Custom-RPA-Interface-Bracket-Projector-Mount-for-PT-D7700U/382609231704?hash=item5915498f58:g:aUYAAOSwAN1brOTl:sc:USPSPriority!20152!US!-1

Or get something that has the universal plate on it but is the older mount...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-Projector-Ceiling-Mount-Universal-Epson/173614620118?hash=item286c3cddd6:g:mk4AAOSwTxpb17bF:sc:USPSPriority!20152!US!-1

That last one I linked is a pretty solid deal just to get things rolling as it has some nice pieces with it.

Want a GREAT deal on a Elite mount with a bracket (that may even come close to fitting)?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-CHF2500-Chief-Ceiling-Mount-Kit-for-Pro-Cinema-Projectors/123506416272?epid=1100261200&hash=item1cc18e5a90:g:Xz8AAOSw4CFY2T0y

This is a great deal as well if you can deal with white...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chief-RSMAU-Mini-Elite-Projector-Mount/183545902806?hash=item2abc3036d6:g:9HMAAOSwpmhbo7-B

Nice deal here...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPA-Series-Projector-Ceiling-Mount/132857268823?hash=item1eeee90a57:g:XSQAAOSwA8FbdD4H

Oh, and here is your ceiling adapter plate...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-CMA-395-100-Degree-Angled-Ceiling-Plate-With-Threaded-Coupler/264059474947?hash=item3d7b2bd403:g:-9gAAOSwWqNbFIma

There are others out there for the ceiling adapters.

You can do all of this for right around 100 bucks and have a top-tier projector mount that will last you forever and a day.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I went out today and bought the peerless mount but I will need to order the pipe from amazon. Visions in Canada can only get the 2ft or 6ft Pole and they are not retractable.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
But holly crap these extensions are expensive 150 bucks Canadian for a peerless 3to5ft adjustable extension pipe

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you need an adjustable one? Just get a 1.5" piece of plumbing pipe from the local hardware store at the length you need. That was the entire point of the professional design of these mounts - you can use what you need. Since the 4010 has so much lens shift, you don't have to measure all that exactly.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Well I have a pretty good sloped ceiling so I bought the slope ceiling mount. I was thinking of using just PVC pipe but it needed to be threaded on both ends. So I figured since I spent 2300 cdn. On the 4010 why cheap out on the mounts because at that price I don’t need it falling from the ceiling lol . I got the peerless adjustable pole because believe it or not no store like bestbuy or visions or home theater stores had a single length pole in Canada. They said they could get it from the states but it would take till after Christmas and at the time we were about to have a mail strike

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
So I ordered the projector nov25 they told me a week to ten days well I’m still waiting. I called staples last Thursday he said it was shipped from the vendor and it should be in Monday. well it’s wednesday and nothing. So I called customer service at there head office and they said the vendor still hasn’t shipped it. So the store is full of crap. So they are going to bump this up to a higher dept. I might hear from them in 3 business days. I think I might call tomorrow and say forget it I will reorder from visions!

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Canceled staples reordered from visions last Thursday had it delivered yesterday Staples said maybe mid January to receive it

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Canceled staples reordered from visions last Thursday had it delivered yesterday Staples said maybe mid January to receive it
Yeah mine got delayed too good luck with it when you get it. I hate it when stores do that oh well looking forward to your take on it!

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I finally hung it from the ceiling last night and so far I am thrilled. 3D on my 2030 was so dark this projector it’s not. My 2030 in 2D or 3D during a scene at night or in the dark you could really see what was happening the 4010 you can. I will pick up a 4K Blu-ray tomorrow to see how this plays. The only knock so far is if you want to watch 3D SBS you have to go the menu and find SBS or Top to bottom. Then go back into the menu to reset it to 2D. Epson is looking into why the 3D format button on the remote doesn’t give you the option

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis