Epik Legend vs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 vs. SVS PB12-NSD

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
The ULS's are my favs, but the VTF3s and LFM-1 EXs are terrific too. Output wise they seem like they are roughly the same, but the ULS sounds cleaner, and its a prettier sub. However, If I had to go without the ULS subs and only had VTF3s, I would still be very happy. The VTF3 and LFMs sound very good, and my home theater beats any commercial theater's sub system that I have heard. I bought the ULS for looks as much as for performance, to me they are closer to the platonic ideal of a subwoofer.
near equal output? really- didn't expect you to say that! very cool!

how would you compare the vtf3.3 to the ex?

if i am able to get an ex it would blend nicely as a 2nd sub i assume?

i am within driving distance of outlaw in MA as i'm from CT so i heard that the ex went for a deal price of 550 shipped so i wonder if i drove over there if i could get one for $450 since shipping is about 100 bucks idk just a thought...not bad for new but i like 350 better even if its used lol

Hey razzy, sorry to hear about your bad luck. It looks like your space is pressurizing oddly, and your listening position is in a bass null. I don't remember reading if you did or not, but you have tried the subwoofer crawling method of placement, correct? If that doesn't work, and none of the available locations are doing the trick for you, the sub just doesn't have enough air displacement to pressurize your space for your listening position. You either need a bigger sub or more subs. Like I said before, I would lean toward more subs, because I think that is more likely to even out the bass sound throughout the room, whereas a bigger sub my just make things louder in the same places but still not be enough to completely pressurize your room therefore still leaving a bass null.
yeah man it certainly is! idk what the heck is going on with the bass and why it's doing that- as far as the bass crawl, read my first post (the longest one) when i first got the sub- placed it at my main LP and couldn't hear anything. so strange.
but today i tried moving it to the right side of my couch 5th position i've tried and it sounded just about as good as the placement on the right of my main couch (rear right corner of room from LP)...i tried the bass crawl with this position and the bass was very strong diagonally across my LP to the far left corner of my room and even more so behind me to my left where the base of my stairs are and even onto the first 5 or so steps...if you go from the floor of my room to the height of the ceiling that is directly above the stairwell it is about 30-35 ft i would guess

ugh i'm soooo irritated at all of this :mad: and it makes it worse that i'm a complete novice at technical audio knowledge and setup ability :(

you guys have helped tremendously and have taught me basically all i know so i'm really thankful :)

do you think a vtf-15h or a uls-15 or a pb-13 ultra or fv15, empire, or the like (any of the ID larger powerful subs) would pair with my vtf3.3? or not so much? ....just trying to plan a little here. i would hate to sell the vtf3.3 i just got for two larger subs i'd rather just add another 3.3 or similar/larger sub

i'm going to try and move the sub back a few feet closer to the base of the stairs to see if that improves the sound- idk if it will but according to the bass crawl you place the sub in the spot where the bass is strongest ( i know the sub is supposed to start at the LP but that was a total failure )

thanks,
Justin

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Openings, they are the enemy :p

There were some other threads where other folks were debating with me whether it was worth getting a higher output sub. Some folks kept saying that the room size wasn't all that huge (3000 cubic feet). That's a "large" room by THX standards, so already, I was leaning towards more output. Then the photos came in and showed that the room was actually entirely open to a hallway and that hallway was open to...who knows what.

It's so tough to try and stress that folks have to consider ALL of the air. Anywhere that the air can move, that's part of your "room". The subwoofer makes no distinctions. Air will escape and more wherever it can, so a simple 14' x 20' room can seem like no big deal, then you discover there are openings to other spaces in the house and suddenly the actual "room" is massive!

The VTF-3 MK3 is a very capable sub. But it's still just a 12" sub with a 350 Watt amp with a large box and quite a bit of port area for low tuning. It's powerful. But it still has its limits! I've talked to people here and elsewhere who've made SVSound PB12-NSD subs completely run out of steam in "rooms" that didn't seem all that large until all of the openings were discovered. Heck, I've met people who've made PB13-Ultra and Seaton Submersive subs cry uncle!

I do completely agree though that you need to revisit your "crawling for bass" and then bust out some measurement gear and REW software. I noticed in your pictures that you first had the sub positioned in front of the primary seat. You need to physically move the seat out of the way and get the sub right where you will be sitting to do the "crawl". 6 inches can make a noticeable difference, so you've got to have the sub more or less exactly where you sit. Then go crouch and listen in EVERY conceivable spot where the subwoofer could go. That might be in some really odd spot that you didn't originally consider. But if the sub CAN go there, have a listen at that position. You can often discover a very good spot in your room that you wouldn't have thought of before.

If you want to save a bit of time, turn YPAO off and manually set your speakers to an 80Hz cross-over with all of the trim levels set to zero. Play the pink noise from your receiver and use a basic SPL meter to get the subwoofer's output CLOSE to the same volume as the speakers, and get them all generating somewhere between 75-85dB output with the pink noise. Now put on any THX certified DVD or Blu-ray, go the THX Optimizer setup menus and go to the last Audio Setup test, which is a 200Hz - 20Hz sweep tone. Put that chapter on repeat so that it just plays over and over while you are "duck walking" around to all the spots where the subwoofer could possibly go.

With this setup, you'll have both the speakers and the subwoofer playing, so you won't have to mess around too much with the cross-over later. With the speakers playing down to 80Hz and sloping off below that, you have to basically consider them as additional subwoofers from around 160Hz down to around 40Hz or so where both the speakers and the subwoofer are contributing significant output. If you do the "crawl" with only the subwoofer playing, you will sometimes find that when the speakers are playing again, the cross-over region is all mucked up due to cancellations between the speakers' 40-160Hz output and the subwoofers' 40-160Hz output. So you can save some time doing it this way.

Now you bust out the measurement gear, set it up at your primary listening spot and get yourself some pretty graphs with REW! :D You can try running YPAO and measure again yourself to see what the heck it does. I've never been impressed with YPAO's results, so I typically turn it off!

If you can't get away from some large peaks no matter where you place the sub, then you'll need an outboard EQ unit. REW is set to work with a number of EQ units automatically. It will literally figure out the parametric EQ settings and automatically adjust the EQ unit for you! So that's a very nice feature ;) Check to see which current EQ units REW supports.

If you have some large dips in the bass, well, you're up a creek. You can't "fill in" dips with EQ. Dips are caused by cancellations. Making the output louder won't do anything. The louder sound waves will still cancel each other out at those specific frequencies! You can fill in minor dips of like 3dB or something, but not much more than that.

Dual subs have to be properly placed. You're basically creating a "phatom sub", much like how your Front L/R speakers can create a "phantom center". The "phantom sub" allows you to "place" a subwoofer somewhere that a physical subwoofer cannot go - like somewhere out in the middle of the room. But you can still get some very strong cancellations. If the two subs, plus the room's acoustics, happen to create a big dip at your seat, well then you're still screwed! And you will get some big dips somewhere with two subs. It's just a matter of getting the two subs and your seat positioned so that the big dips don't happen at your seat!

With 4 subs, placement becomes less critical. You still can't place 4 subs totally randomly and expect perfection, but it's a lot less picky with 4 subs and you can get pretty flat response at quite a few seats without a ton of hassle. Funnily enough though, 4 subs can actually measure as being quieter than two subs or even just one, lone sub! Having 4 bass sources all playing the same sounds at the same time means a ton of sound wave interference. That's what allows you to get such even bass response at so many locations! But it also means that the overall level actually gets quieter, which is something that most people don't expect!

So 4 ULS-15 that are spread out around the room? No match in terms of just peak output for just a lone PB13-Ultra. But WAY smoother frequency response at multiple seats. And if you stack some ULS-15 subs, now you're boosting the output. 8 ULS-15 subs is not crazy at all! 4 stacked pairs gets you very even, smooth bass throughout the room plus lots of output. Of course, 4 PB13-Ultra costs roughly the same and 4 PC13-Ultra cylinders are less ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
near equal output? really- didn't expect you to say that! very cool!

how would you compare the vtf3.3 to the ex?
They are mostly the same sub. The amps, cabinets, and drivers are nearly identical, which is why they can so easily be used with each other. They are designed by the same guy. The VTF3 is tuned a bit deeper, and will have more output at 16 hz than the Outlaw, but in ordinary use that would be hard to distinguish.

if i am able to get an ex it would blend nicely as a 2nd sub i assume?
Yes

do you think a vtf-15h or a uls-15 or a pb-13 ultra or fv15, empire, or the like (any of the ID larger powerful subs) would pair with my vtf3.3? or not so much? ....just trying to plan a little here. i would hate to sell the vtf3.3 i just got for two larger subs i'd rather just add another 3.3 or similar/larger sub
I wouldn't try to pair one of these more powerful subs with a VTF3. They all behave too differently than the VTF3. You can not use a single EQ to control both subs when they are that different, it will either try to drive one into doing something its not good at or restrain the other from doing something it is good at. There are ways to make them play well with each other, but I don't think its worth the hassle if you don't already have the knowledge and equipment to set that up.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you don't know, in the above post Firstreflection is talking about Room EQ Wizard with his reference of REW. You will need a semi-decent soundcard and a SPL meter to use that software. It can be daunting software to use, so make sure you go through help contents and online tutorials if you want to go in that direction.

FirstReflection, I would disagree with your characterization of dual subs as a phantom sub, because in this sense a single sub could be called a phantom sub seeing that <80 hz bass is (supposedly) omnidirectional and therefore non-localized. Dual subs are not supposed to "place" the source of bass anywhere anymore than a single sub would.

Multiple subs do indeed mean greater chances of cancellation, but that doesn't mean the system has to be quieter, and that is why some subs have a phase adjustment. Razzy, if you get a second subwoofer, remember to do experiment with the phase switch, or else, as FirstReflection said, you could end up actually reducing your bass by having the sound waves cancel each other. Any decent subwoofer will have a phase switch or knob.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
i want to cry...lol

Openings, they are the enemy :p

There were some other threads where other folks were debating with me whether it was worth getting a higher output sub. Some folks kept saying that the room size wasn't all that huge (3000 cubic feet). That's a "large" room by THX standards, so already, I was leaning towards more output. Then the photos came in and showed that the room was actually entirely open to a hallway and that hallway was open to...who knows what.

It's so tough to try and stress that folks have to consider ALL of the air. Anywhere that the air can move, that's part of your "room". The subwoofer makes no distinctions. Air will escape and more wherever it can, so a simple 14' x 20' room can seem like no big deal, then you discover there are openings to other spaces in the house and suddenly the actual "room" is massive!

The VTF-3 MK3 is a very capable sub. But it's still just a 12" sub with a 350 Watt amp with a large box and quite a bit of port area for low tuning. It's powerful. But it still has its limits! I've talked to people here and elsewhere who've made SVSound PB12-NSD subs completely run out of steam in "rooms" that didn't seem all that large until all of the openings were discovered. Heck, I've met people who've made PB13-Ultra and Seaton Submersive subs cry uncle!

I do completely agree though that you need to revisit your "crawling for bass" and then bust out some measurement gear and REW software. I noticed in your pictures that you first had the sub positioned in front of the primary seat. You need to physically move the seat out of the way and get the sub right where you will be sitting to do the "crawl". 6 inches can make a noticeable difference, so you've got to have the sub more or less exactly where you sit. Then go crouch and listen in EVERY conceivable spot where the subwoofer could go. That might be in some really odd spot that you didn't originally consider. But if the sub CAN go there, have a listen at that position. You can often discover a very good spot in your room that you wouldn't have thought of before.

If you want to save a bit of time, turn YPAO off and manually set your speakers to an 80Hz cross-over with all of the trim levels set to zero. Play the pink noise from your receiver and use a basic SPL meter to get the subwoofer's output CLOSE to the same volume as the speakers, and get them all generating somewhere between 75-85dB output with the pink noise. Now put on any THX certified DVD or Blu-ray, go the THX Optimizer setup menus and go to the last Audio Setup test, which is a 200Hz - 20Hz sweep tone. Put that chapter on repeat so that it just plays over and over while you are "duck walking" around to all the spots where the subwoofer could possibly go.

With this setup, you'll have both the speakers and the subwoofer playing, so you won't have to mess around too much with the cross-over later. With the speakers playing down to 80Hz and sloping off below that, you have to basically consider them as additional subwoofers from around 160Hz down to around 40Hz or so where both the speakers and the subwoofer are contributing significant output. If you do the "crawl" with only the subwoofer playing, you will sometimes find that when the speakers are playing again, the cross-over region is all mucked up due to cancellations between the speakers' 40-160Hz output and the subwoofers' 40-160Hz output. So you can save some time doing it this way.

Now you bust out the measurement gear, set it up at your primary listening spot and get yourself some pretty graphs with REW! :D You can try running YPAO and measure again yourself to see what the heck it does. I've never been impressed with YPAO's results, so I typically turn it off!

If you can't get away from some large peaks no matter where you place the sub, then you'll need an outboard EQ unit. REW is set to work with a number of EQ units automatically. It will literally figure out the parametric EQ settings and automatically adjust the EQ unit for you! So that's a very nice feature ;) Check to see which current EQ units REW supports.

If you have some large dips in the bass, well, you're up a creek. You can't "fill in" dips with EQ. Dips are caused by cancellations. Making the output louder won't do anything. The louder sound waves will still cancel each other out at those specific frequencies! You can fill in minor dips of like 3dB or something, but not much more than that.

Dual subs have to be properly placed. You're basically creating a "phatom sub", much like how your Front L/R speakers can create a "phantom center". The "phantom sub" allows you to "place" a subwoofer somewhere that a physical subwoofer cannot go - like somewhere out in the middle of the room. But you can still get some very strong cancellations. If the two subs, plus the room's acoustics, happen to create a big dip at your seat, well then you're still screwed! And you will get some big dips somewhere with two subs. It's just a matter of getting the two subs and your seat positioned so that the big dips don't happen at your seat!

With 4 subs, placement becomes less critical. You still can't place 4 subs totally randomly and expect perfection, but it's a lot less picky with 4 subs and you can get pretty flat response at quite a few seats without a ton of hassle. Funnily enough though, 4 subs can actually measure as being quieter than two subs or even just one, lone sub! Having 4 bass sources all playing the same sounds at the same time means a ton of sound wave interference. That's what allows you to get such even bass response at so many locations! But it also means that the overall level actually gets quieter, which is something that most people don't expect!

So 4 ULS-15 that are spread out around the room? No match in terms of just peak output for just a lone PB13-Ultra. But WAY smoother frequency response at multiple seats. And if you stack some ULS-15 subs, now you're boosting the output. 8 ULS-15 subs is not crazy at all! 4 stacked pairs gets you very even, smooth bass throughout the room plus lots of output. Of course, 4 PB13-Ultra costs roughly the same and 4 PC13-Ultra cylinders are less ;)
yes, i'm finding all of this out :(

okay i'll move the couch and put it there…but what way should i put it? ports facing the rear wall or facing my main speakers or driver facing the back wall or driver facing the main speakers? there's four possible ways i can put the sub in the same exact spot

i'll put it anywhere i can with a good sound…really….

when playing the pink noise, how do i get the output of the sub to match the output of the main speakers at the level you recommend? do i play the pink noise for the speakers and set it to that level and then play it only for the sub and then match the level of the mains? how would i do that w/ my AVR? my question can also be phrased this way: how do i tell the difference b/t the volume of the sub vs the volume of the mains and surrounds when doing this thing you are telling me to do after turning YPAO off?

so i will do the crawl with that thx track with both the speakers and the sub to see which place the sub should go

i've never used REW before..i have a mac…i just downloaded it from HT shack (thanks shadyJ) so not sure what to do there..i'll try to watch the youtube tutorials

this is SO much more involving than i expected- it is a bit overwhelming since i know so little and my room is proving to be such a difficult spot

hopefully i won't need an outboard eq unit…lol

If you don't know, in the above post Firstreflection is talking about Room EQ Wizard with his reference of REW. You will need a semi-decent soundcard and a SPL meter to use that software. It can be daunting software to use, so make sure you go through help contents and online tutorials if you want to go in that direction.

FirstReflection, I would disagree with your characterization of dual subs as a phantom sub, because in this sense a single sub could be called a phantom sub seeing that <80 hz bass is (supposedly) omnidirectional and therefore non-localized. Dual subs are not supposed to "place" the source of bass anywhere anymore than a single sub would.

Multiple subs do indeed mean greater chances of cancellation, but that doesn't mean the system has to be quieter, and that is why some subs have a phase adjustment. Razzy, if you get a second subwoofer, remember to do experiment with the phase switch, or else, as FirstReflection said, you could end up actually reducing your bass by having the sound waves cancel each other. Any decent subwoofer will have a phase switch or knob.
yes i just downloaded it for my mac...and i do have a radio shack spl meter...ahh another thing to dive deep into to achieve what i want lol this is crazy ahhhh lol

hopefully i can figure out how to use this crazy software...lol

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Razzy:

I think i mentioned it before but in case i didnt, your RX-A3000 has a very capable subwoofer Parametric EQ built in. No its not as sofisticated as something like the Beheringer Feedback Destroyer but it can bring down you big peaks if you need it to.

Make sure you measure your system with the subs in the Manual EQ setting. Make sure you havent copied the Flat EQ over to it. In other words, when you measure your response, dont have ANY eq applied to the sub yet. You want to see what your room is doing to the unEQed signal. Then AFTER placement is figured out you can start to EQ the peaks down.

Remember to that you can use different modes (MaxExt & MaxOut) to adjust the response. Plus the Q setting will also effect response. Use these to your advantage before applying any EQ as well.

1. Bass crawl
2. Good sub placement
3. Measure response
4. Adjust Q & Mode to help level out response a bit
5. Apply EQ (tame the peaks)

This is a good order of getting headed in the right direction.

I can easily walk you through some of the Yamaha EQ process if you like. I have an RX-A2000 & am very familiar with its use. Honestly i dont mind you giving me a call to help you out!!
562-587-0469
Sometimes it easier & quicker just to talk someone through it than posting. Its up to you :)

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Razzy:

I think i mentioned it before but in case i didnt, your RX-A3000 has a very capable subwoofer Parametric EQ built in. No its not as sofisticated as something like the Beheringer Feedback Destroyer but it can bring down you big peaks if you need it to.

Make sure you measure your system with the subs in the Manual EQ setting. Make sure you havent copied the Flat EQ over to it. In other words, when you measure your response, dont have ANY eq applied to the sub yet. You want to see what your room is doing to the unEQed signal. Then AFTER placement is figured out you can start to EQ the peaks down.

Remember to that you can use different modes (MaxExt & MaxOut) to adjust the response. Plus the Q setting will also effect response. Use these to your advantage before applying any EQ as well.

1. Bass crawl
2. Good sub placement
3. Measure response
4. Adjust Q & Mode to help level out response a bit
5. Apply EQ (tame the peaks)

This is a good order of getting headed in the right direction.

I can easily walk you through some of the Yamaha EQ process if you like. I have an RX-A2000 & am very familiar with its use. Honestly i dont mind you giving me a call to help you out!!
562-587-0469
Sometimes it easier & quicker just to talk someone through it than posting. Its up to you :)
Hey Tim, I'm going to go downstairs and setup my stuff and do all the things i know how to do - the bass crawl and find the best spot and then i'll give you a call...not sure how to do the measuring , don't know what q and mode is lol, and don't know how to tame the peaks...i just downloaded REW so maybe that will help? haha i'm such a buffoon with all of this stuff :D
:confused:

i'll be calling from the 203 so you know! :)

Justin

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The mode is the variable tuning on the sub, max output with both ports open and max extension with a port plugged. Regarding that, the one thing you do not want to do with the sub is have it set to max extension mode with both ports open!! You can have it set any other way, but don't do that, the driver doesn't have the protection it normally does in that configuration. The manual warns against that mode of operation, I believe.

Q control is something that is available on the mk4 models, not the mk3s. I don't think it would have helped anything in your situation, so don't worry about that.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
so i think i've found the best spot in my room to be the rear right corner...spent hours taking measurements and graphing the results. tim has been great helping me and we're going to fix the settings on my AVR to get the graph as flattened out as possible but i'm just going to have to be on the lookout for a second subwoofer...lol

this is the graph of the various locations- the green line is the position i was thinking is best

Create A Graph

really tempted to grab an lfm1-ex while they're on sale for 550 but i would rather get another VTF3.3 or VTF3.4 instead for less than 550 if possible...not sure how the down firing woofer will be on my thick carpet and pad on my basement concrete floor.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
so i think i've found the best spot in my room to be the rear right corner...spent hours taking measurements and graphing the results. tim has been great helping me and we're going to fix the settings on my AVR to get the graph as flattened out as possible but i'm just going to have to be on the lookout for a second subwoofer...lol

this is the graph of the various locations- the green line is the position i was thinking is best

Create A Graph

really tempted to grab an lfm1-ex while they're on sale for 550 but i would rather get another VTF3.3 or VTF3.4 instead for less than 550 if possible...not sure how the down firing woofer will be on my thick carpet and pad on my basement concrete floor.
Razzy, the Outlaw can be raised very easily. What mine have are some 2" pieces of PVC each cut to 2" in height. Wrap a couple layers of electrical tape on the inside so they fit snugly around the spiked feet. Then wrap some more neatly around the outside so the PVC pipe looks black like the subwoofer. Just fit them on the feet of the sub and that is one easy way to raise the LFM-1 EX.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
so there's a MBM-12 MK2 on ebay now for ~500 with buy it now...what would all of you recommend? this or a second sub and why?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Razzy, if I were you I would go for a second sub. Adding a MBM will give you a big boost in the mid-range region, but I would think you would want a an equal boost in output across the bass spectrum. Some people do like a jacked up mid-bass though. Here are some measurements of the MBM mk1's performance.

S

soapboxpreacher

Junior Audioholic
I know this might be late but I am surprised no one recommended a Rythmik FV12? I had a legend and it certainly had output and some decent lows but it was not very accurate and couldnt hold as tight as the FV12. Both subs are 500 the FV12 is a ported servo it hits quite low and is extremely tight for a ported. I have been more than pleased with it and I went thru a Legend, SC2000, and this was what I settled with. I like it but it might be too late for you at this point for it seems you might already be set. I only scanned over this long thread and saw what you had tried. Placement could certainly be an issue. I did notice you had some room up front...the reason I bring it up is my sub is in front and it has a port in the front I have mine located next to my right front speaker. It is the only place I can put it and it does quite well!! It might not have the output of the HSU but I can get all over this sub!!! It can handle so much more then the other subs without bottoming out. In the end for me at least I had to try a ton of subs to find the right one...it was a pain but fun as well and I knew what I was getting. No matter what people recommend in your HT it will sound different from one persons setup to the next...then sprinkle on the AVR and you have different results as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis