Epik Legend vs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 vs. SVS PB12-NSD

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
i'm new here and new to high end subs but not high end audio have the option between these two subs either for appx. $450 shipped to me and the SVS for $500...have no listening experience with any ID subs...looking for advice on which one to go with. the legend is new open box and both the vtf3.3 and pb12-nsd is used but in great shape.

I recently purchased a klipsch rw12-d from newegg for 300 but was NOT impressed or satisfied with its abilities whatsoever and found out about ID subs...want to make a purchase asap.

1. Budget: $500 (prefer used so i can get more for my $)
2. Size Requirements/Limits: None size wise, would prefer it to be less than 100lbs.
3. Room Dimensions: appx. 3,000 cubic feet
4. Primary Uses: 50% Home Theater/50% Music
5. Listening Habits: Loud but not blasting my ears out. I want to feel the bass shake the room (or house lol) from the movies I watch and have the bass be tight, fast, and articulate for my music.
6. Appearance Requirements: None.
7. Timeframe: ASAP- as soon as i find a deal that works for me- looking for some feedback first though. don't want to rush for the price of not getting the right sub.

any help on this would be great thanks!

Justin

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
i found out the svs is actually a pb12-nsd/2 which is apparently a completely different animal from the pb12-nsd

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I wish that I could help you out, but I have no experience with any of those subs. I just want to bump your thread because I know that people here do (although, being the holidays, they might not see it for a while).

I can say this - I've been very happy with my SVS. It's a different model (I have one of their cylinder subs), though.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
hey adam thank you! i'm really excited to get this finishing piece for my music and HT setup- it's going to be great :) have a merry Christmas!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I dont own any of those subs but i do own 2 HSU subs & absolutely love them. I have however heard the VTF-3MK3 & it is a VERY capable sub that WILL give you the movie experience your seeking. Its also very musical. hSu subs are known for that.

I havent heard the Epik but from what ive read i wouldnt be able to recommend it. Ive read that it plays low & loud but isnt very articulate or detailed which is a suprise since its a sealed design. Plus they have had some amp issues. I used to own a sub that uses the same amp manufacturer & it used to get very hot until 6months after i bought it new it stopped working. I did get it fixed under warranty but still a headache. So id steer clear of Epik. Not trying to step on Epik but id go HSU or SVS myself.

$450 for the 3/3 is a good deal for a great sub.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
I dont own any of those subs but i do own 2 HSU subs & absolutely love them. I have however heard the VTF-3MK3 & it is a VERY capable sub that WILL give you the movie experience your seeking. Its also very musical. hSu subs are known for that.

I havent heard the Epik but from what ive read i wouldnt be able to recommend it. Ive read that it plays low & loud but isnt very articulate or detailed which is a suprise since its a sealed design. Plus they have had some amp issues. I used to own a sub that uses the same amp manufacturer & it used to get very hot until 6months after i bought it new it stopped working. I did get it fixed under warranty but still a headache. So id steer clear of Epik. Not trying to step on Epik but id go HSU or SVS myself.

$450 for the 3/3 is a good deal for a great sub.
thank you for your reply...i definitely DO NOT want to sacrifice tight articulate bass for high SPL, boomy low class bass. i've heard similar concerns about epik and also similar positive things about both SVS and HSU...not much info out there on the pb12-nsd/2 though

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If you were deciding between the VTF-3MK3 & the new PB12NSD then you would have a very similar comparison. It would be probably slightly better to get the new PB12NSD over the VTF3/3. But im pretty sure the VTF3/3 will be abetter choice over the older NSD/2.

All i can vouch for is the HSU since ive heard it numerous times. I know you wouldnt regret getting one then maybe saving to get a second down the road!! :)
But maybe someone can chime in that has direct experience with the NSD/2 version.

Its hard though to compare subs unless you hear them sidebyside in the same room set to the same level.

Well at least you know that either of the 2 aregonna be a good sub.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
If you were deciding between the VTF-3MK3 & the new PB12NSD then you would have a very similar comparison. It would be probably slightly better to get the new PB12NSD over the VTF3/3. But im pretty sure the VTF3/3 will be abetter choice over the older NSD/2.

All i can vouch for is the HSU since ive heard it numerous times. I know you wouldnt regret getting one then maybe saving to get a second down the road!! :)
But maybe someone can chime in that has direct experience with the NSD/2 version.

Its hard though to compare subs unless you hear them sidebyside in the same room set to the same level.

Well at least you know that either of the 2 aregonna be a good sub.
Yeah I wish I could get a new SVS PB12-NSD used for $500 shipped to me as I perceive that to be the best of both worlds HT and music...I would do it immediately but I don't know of any available at this time.

Without hearing any ID sub I'm completely convinced that both HSU and SVS make great stuff...I would like some input from the community here on the comparable subs that elemental designs, rythmik, and outlaw have to offer-- A5-350, F12, and LFM1-EX just in case they become available used online for my consideration.

I'm completely limited by what becomes available as I do not want to buy a new sub in the $500 class range and I can't afford getting the caliber subwoofer I am looking for at their new prices.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I agree that used is a great way to go, but I'll throw out that SVS also has "Outlet Specials." The ones that I've seen listed this past week (when I started looking again) have all said "no damage or defect." They go pretty fast, though. There's a PB12-NSD listed at $719 ($50 off but still above your range), but it's out of stock.

You could always contact them and ask if they have anything that might fit your needs/desires, such as one with a scratched cabinet or something. I don't know if they have anything like that, but you never know. They use to have "b-stock" items for sale that had small cosmetic defects for reduced prices.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I have two PB12NSD in my room and they sound great. If you are able to get one from SVS outlet you should not be disappointed.

Its still $200 dollars above your budget. But as Adam said, contact them, you may be surprised.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
hey guys yes, i did see those outlet specials the other day when i was browsing their site...cool deals but too much for me unfortunately :(

i'm going to call HSU and SVS and ask them if they currently have anything that would work for me and if not to call me within the next 3 weeks to call me if something comes up...

i've been talking to the seller of the VTF3.3 and we settled on $475 via paypal shipped from CA to me in CT shipped in the the original boxes and packing material so that is good!

the catch is he's on vacation for another 2 weeks or so, so if something better comes to my attention b/t now and then i can consider it before he gets home to ship the hsu.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PB12NSD/2 is a dual driver sub correct? Take that!

SheepStar

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yes, actually i just looked it up. If its the PB12 NSD/2 then it has DUAL 12" drivers. If its the PB12 NSD then it has a SINGLE 12" driver.

Thats interesting!! I didnt even know that SVS mad a dual 12" sub. I wonder why its not made anymore. Maybe because they figure that if some wants 2 12" drivers that theyd want them in seperate enclosures so theyd have more placement options & be able to get better bass response.

Goo call on that Sheep!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Goo call on that Sheep!
Agreed, but I'm pretty confident that the OP new about the dual drivers because he specifically mentioned that it was the PB12-NSD/2. I think the issue is that there isn't much info out there for that sub. After seeing the initial post that it was the dual driver version, I looked around for reviews. The PB12-Plus/2 has some reviews (including one on AH), but I couldn't find anything on the NSD version.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PB12NSD/2 is a dual driver sub correct? Take that!

SheepStar
yes it is as you say.
what do you mean by "take that!" doesn't make any sense..

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Agreed, but I'm pretty confident that the OP new about the dual drivers because he specifically mentioned that it was the PB12-NSD/2. I think the issue is that there isn't much info out there for that sub. After seeing the initial post that it was the dual driver version, I looked around for reviews. The PB12-Plus/2 has some reviews (including one on AH), but I couldn't find anything on the NSD version.
exatly...not much out there for that.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, actually i just looked it up. If its the PB12 NSD/2 then it has DUAL 12" drivers. If its the PB12 NSD then it has a SINGLE 12" driver.

Thats interesting!! I didnt even know that SVS mad a dual 12" sub. I wonder why its not made anymore. Maybe because they figure that if some wants 2 12" drivers that theyd want them in seperate enclosures so theyd have more placement options & be able to get better bass response.

Goo call on that Sheep!
Before your time lassy..

Yarrrrrr

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis