Entertain Me........ McIntosh

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So with the cost of the BMR's I'll still have ~1100 left in my sound budget. Do I really need an integrated amp? No. The anthem's the two extra channels works for now. So I really just need a DAC to get my high res music from the computer in to the amplifier. This was whole original idea of why I should buy an integrated amp. (look at what I'm thinking about now... lol) Here's what I've narrowed it down to so far. May have to keep saving though for some of the stuff below:

DAC's -
Marantz HD-DAC1
TEAC NT-50
CHORD Mojo

Integrated Amps:
Outlaw RR260 - probably the best bang for buck but I can't stand the design
Yamaha 801 -
Rogue Sphinx + a DAC - doesn't come with a DAC but looks like a really well made product and it's got some great reviews. + no sub out

I'm currently leaning towards saving up and getting - Rogue Sphinx + a DAC

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Rogue does clean look and if you want it for looks, that is cool!

Personally, among those you listed, I'd do the A-S801.
I have an older A-S700 and the amp is nice and solid.

Subwoofer output and Yamaha's variable loudness control are the biggest two reasons I would take it over the Rogue.

However, you should also give the Yamaha R-N803 good consideration:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-r-n803-stereo-network-receiver-with-ypao-bass-mgt.109121/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN803/Yamaha-R-N803.html?tp=47041&awkw=367494928958&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=223886368442&awdv=c&awug=9010844&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuf8zpvd2gIVSDqBCh12KwlgEAQYASABEgIEb_D_BwE

The main advantages are it has AVR style bass management for integrating a subwoofer and it has modern adaptability/flexibility for network/streaming built in.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
May be ask Dennis if he thinks the $599 x3300w has enough power for the BMR. But then if it doesn't, the a-s801 won't either..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So with the cost of the BMR's I'll still have ~1100 left in my sound budget. Do I really need an integrated amp? No. The anthem's the two extra channels works for now. So I really just need a DAC to get my high res music from the computer in to the amplifier. This was whole original idea of why I should buy an integrated amp. (look at what I'm thinking about now... lol) Here's what I've narrowed it down to so far. May have to keep saving though for some of the stuff below:

DAC's -
Marantz HD-DAC1
TEAC NT-50
CHORD Mojo

Integrated Amps:
Outlaw RR260 - probably the best bang for buck but I can't stand the design
Yamaha 801 -
Rogue Sphinx + a DAC - doesn't come with a DAC but looks like a really well made product and it's got some great reviews. + no sub out

So then why not just get the Mojo and you are all set?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
May be ask Dennis if he thinks the $599 x3300w has enough power for the BMR. But then if it doesn't, the a-s801 won't either..
Doesn't the A-S801 use the same amp as the A-S700? If so, I can vouch for the A-S801 being fully capable!
There is also a review by Steve Holden testing the A-S700 and it has a very solid amp section (just be sure the impedance switch on the back stays set for 8 Ohms - he spent about 1/3 of the review talking about how ill-conceived that switch is even for 4 Ohm speakers)!

The R-N803 might be an issue, since it shares the weaker (than the A-S700) amp section of the R-S700. I have used the R-S700 with my BMR's without any problems or feeling like the unit was straining at all, but I was not listening in a large room with bass-heavy content at reference levels without a subwoofer!
But half of the reason to get the R-N803 is for subwoofer integration!

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
nice choice ! I've owned a pair of M180 mono blocks and attest to the fine craftsmanship of Mark Obrien and his staff.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Doesn't the A-S801 use the same amp as the A-S700? If so, I can vouch for the A-S801 being fully capable!
There is also a review by Steve Holden testing the A-S700 and it has a very solid amp section (just be sure the impedance switch on the back stays set for 8 Ohms - he spent about 1/3 of the review talking about how ill-conceived that switch is even for 4 Ohm speakers)!

The R-N803 might be an issue, since it shares the weaker (than the A-S700) amp section of the R-S700. I have used the R-S700 with my BMR's without any problems or feeling like the unit was straining at all, but I was not listening in a large room with bass-heavy content at reference levels without a subwoofer!
But half of the reason to get the R-N803 is for subwoofer integration!
I have no doubt even the A-S501 is a good amp and the A-S801 is an excellent 100 WPC amp, better than the X3300W, and comparable to the X4300H and above AVR amps. The point about the $599 AVR-X3300W is that it's a deep discount compared to it's launch price of 999. So I am just saying it represents a much better value than an integrated amp such as the A-S801.

I don't remember why I mentioned the AVR, maybe ADTG started it and I followed. Now I realize the OP has the MRX-720 already so my recommendations don't really apply, unless he wants an external DAC for better specs and portability. In that case I do recommend the Mojo, but there better value ones.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I found the test report on the A-S700.
Data is for 2 channels driven 8Ohm/4Ohm (using the 8 Ohm setting on the back of the amp)
@20Hz - 115/162W
@1kHz - 130/190W
@20kHz - 127/182W

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have no doubt even the A-S501 is a good amp and the A-S801 is an excellent 100 WPC amp, better than the X3300W, and comparable to the X4300H and above AVR amps. The point about the $599 AVR-X3300W is that it's a deep discount compared to it's launch price of 999. So I am just saying it represents a much better value than an integrated amp such as the A-S801.

I don't remember why I mentioned the AVR, maybe ADTG started it and I followed. Now I realize the OP has the MRX-720 already so my recommendations don't really apply, unless he wants an external DAC for better specs and portability. In that case I do recommend the Mojo, but there better value ones.
I agree, for function, the 3300 at $600 has little (if any!) competition!
However, for whatever reason (probably aesthetics), CB22 seems to be leaning away from the typical AVR.
I am offering alternatives so he has a good chance to see what other units may fit his objectives.

Since he liked the idea of the Outlaw RR-2160, but did not like the look, the R-N803 is a logical consideration with a less dramatic face, yet still a bit of a vintage look to distinguish it from the modern AVR, but offering very good bass management and EQ options.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, for function, the 3300 at $600 has little (if any!) competition!
However, for whatever reason (probably aesthetics), CB22 seems to be leaning away from the typical AVR.
I am offering alternatives so he has a good chance to see what other units may fit his objectives.

Since he liked the idea of the Outlaw RR-2160, but did not like the look, the R-N803 is a logical consideration with a less dramatic face, yet still a bit of a vintage look to distinguish it from the modern AVR, but offering very good bass management and EQ options.
I just re-read some of his earlier posts so now I know he needs another unit for his music room where the BMRs are and that's why the avr option was brought up. The R-N803 does look like a good option but it does not seem to have the USB DAC that the A-S801 has, so he will still need to pay for a separate USB DAC such as the Mojo. The R-N803 will likely still cost $150 to $200 more than the Denon AVR, but if he only wants a 2 channel device then it means nothing even if the AVR is free.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just re-read some of his earlier posts so now I know he needs another unit for his music room where the BMRs are and that's why the avr option was brought up. The R-N803 does look like a good option but it does not seem to have the USB DAC that the A-S801 has, so he will still need to pay for a separate USB DAC such as the Mojo. The R-N803 will likely still cost $150 to $200 more than the Denon AVR, but if he only wants a 2 channel device then it means nothing even if the AVR is free.
DOH!

Good catch!
Thanks!!!

CB22,
Were I in your shoes, I'd do the A-S801 in silver:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS801S/Yamaha-A-S801-Silver.html

If you get a sub, make sure it has plenty of tuning options if you don't end up with much control of bass from your pre section.
Rythmik and Hsu are probably best for that!

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
DOH!

Good catch!
Thanks!!!

CB22,
Were I in your shoes, I'd do the A-S801 in silver:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS801S/Yamaha-A-S801-Silver.html

If you get a sub, make sure it has plenty of tuning options if you don't end up with control of bass.
Rythmik and Hsu are probably best for that!
Almost bought that amp. Really liked the style and function for my use but the old AVR keeps delivering and I forget any real need to upgrade. Now I've become attached to the damned thing for all of the useful things it does, no matter what flavor I decide to subject it to.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
It looks like Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page has an old McIntosh MC 2105 power amplifier in his living room.

I'm not sure what make and model the preamp is though.

1531337766503.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis