Enter to Win: TOSlink or S/PDIF Cable from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blowfish

Audiophyte
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions:
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
1. I prefer TOSlink, not quite sure why.
2. Neither. Digital audio is running over HDMI.
3. It depends on the cable. If the cables are good enough quality, and they arae run correctly (no tight loops in TOSlink, no electrical interference in S/PDIF), then they will both transmit the digital signal perfecly.
4. CD player has TOSlink, DVD player has both (and HDMI), receiver has both.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
TOSlink simply because my receiver has 3 TOSlink and only 1 S/PDIF

2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
both

can't really tell a difference as long as using quality cables

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?

most things have both, but a fewer number of S/PDIF on the reciever makes it the second choice

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
S/PDIF because they make a more sold connection than TOSLink.
Both
Can't tell a difference
Both

S

snowy1

Enthusiast
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both.1- toslink. 2.- both. 3.-toslink. 4.- both REGARDS SNOWY1

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
S/PDIF

Both

I can't tell.

Both

ziggster

ziggster

Enthusiast
Contest Questions:
1. doesn't really matter to me, if i had to pick one it would be TOSlink
2. both
3. i think they sound about the same
4. both

M

misterkit

Enthusiast
1)S/PDIF
2)S/PDIF
3)S/PDIF
4)Both, but I use my computer mostly

Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1) TOSlink.
2) Both.
3) I cannot here a difference, except maybe in SPL.
4) Both. DVD player uses 1, Cable box uses another.

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
Before I answer, I'm going under the assumption when you're referring to S/PDIF, you're referring to the coax connection format? After all, S/PDIF can refer to either of these two digital formats. So, with that said, here are my answers:

1. I prefer the digital coax connection because it is more durable. Extra care is essential when using even high-quality toslink cables as not to damage fibers inside the jacket.
2. I use all digital coax with the exception of my Playstation 3 which only accepts HDMI or toslink. The HDMI runs to the TV and the toslink to the receiver because I do not have a receiver with an HDMI input.
3. I cannot tell the difference when good quality cables are used. I have yet to meet anyone who can tell the difference.
4. All my equipment has both types of connections except my Playstation 3 and flat panel TV which have HDMI and toslink only.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RudeDog

Enthusiast
I prefer TOSlink since it is fiber. No worries about electrical interference with other cables.
Both because I'm forced to. Scientific Atlanta cable box only has an S/PDIF connector.
No, I haven't noticed a problem with either one although I've never done any blind A/B testing, either.
It's got both in most cases, or one or the other on other equipment.

A

alphamajor

Audioholic Intern
1) Either one is fine. As long as the cable is good then the signal is unchanged.
2) Currently I use TOSlink. I've been waiting to find a nice quality cable so I can try S/PDIF.
3) Assuming the signal is reconstructed properly and not fouled up in the cable, you couldn't possibly hear a difference.
4) Both.

T

tiggers

Enthusiast
I prefer TOSlink since I believe the optical give less of an opportunity for electrical interference.

Both. It depends on the source. Some have only one connection type.

I cannot tell the difference

Receiver has both. One DVD player has both. Tivo has optical. One DVD has S/PDIF. Computer has S/PDIF. HDTV has optical out.

P

PUKnEH

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:

Answers
1) S/pdif for no apparent reason just what I usually use.
2) S/pdif from my cd player and Didgtal out of the DVD player and HDCable box.
3)Not sure unfamiliar with TOSlink.
4)S/pdf

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
My opinions

TOSLink

I am using both of them.

TOSlink

Both of them.

R

redcaps

Audiophyte
Contest

TOSLINK
BOTH
TOSLINK
BOTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis