Enter to Win: TOSlink or S/PDIF Cable from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Contest Questions:
2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?

1. I generally prefer TOSlink but have started to switch to S/PDIF because it's harder for my cat to disconnect those.
2. I used to use optical but have begun to switch to S/PDIF.
3. I don't think there's a difference but if there were a lot of potential interference I'd chose TOSlink.
4. Almost everything has both, except for the cable box which is S/PDIF.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic

1. I like TOSlink. No real reason, just seems like it should be better in theory. Maybe im just crazy.
2. Optical, though i do have a Coax cable but its actually being used as a subwoofer cable right now...
3. I dont have a keen enough ear to tell, sorry
4. Both on most, though i think my old dvd player had S/pdif and not TOSlink

J

jafo_91

Enthusiast
Cable Contest

Contest Questions:

1: TOSlink.
2: Both
3: I can't hear the difference between the two.
4: My audio equpiment supports both.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Contest Questions:

Answers:
1) Here's where I show my ignorance. I thought that S/PDIF protocol supported fiber optics and TOSlink connectors. If the question is whether I prefer fiber optic cables with TOSlink connectors or metal cables with RCA connectors, then I prefer the RCA connectors. I find them easier to connect, less hassle to protect when they are not connected, and more robust.
2) I use both types of connectors.
3) I've never done any extensive listening tests between the two. I suspect that I would not be able to tell the difference.
4) My equipment supports both types of connectors.

F

fattyboombah85

Enthusiast
1. I don't even know what these connects or cables are. I do own impact acoustics speaker cables, but I have not really moved into anything other then my 2 channel stereo.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
Contest said:
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?[/I]

1) S/PDIF
2) S/PDIF
3) I do not hear any difference between the two.
4) Both, but only use S/PDIF

N

nickboros

Audioholic
Contest Questions:

1. I prefer S/PDIF simply because I tryed a TOSlink cable and I fit very sloppy on reciever and the dvd player.

2. I use a S/PDIF.
3. I haven't been able to compare a good S/PDIF vs a good TOSlink.
4. My equipment has both.

- Nick

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
1. I prefer S/PDIF - seems to be a stronger, less fragile connection.
2. I use both types due to limited inputs on my receiver and details in #4 below.
3. I have never listened for a difference between the two. I assumed digital is digital and there would be no audible difference.
4. Some of my equipment has both. One of my DVD players and my CD player only have S/PDIF. My satelite receiver only has TOSlink.

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF?

i prefer toslink just because its soposed to be cleaner
both toslink with my dvd player and s/pdif with my cable box
i cant tell the difference although the s/pdif seems to be louder but that might just be my cable box
dvd has both cable box only has coax digital output

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:
1. I prefer S/PDIF because it has a more solid connectiona and I believe the cables are more robust.
2. I use both depending on the source device and available inputs on my receiver.
3. I cannot hear any difference. In an extremenly noisy environment with a long cable, toslink might sound better.
4. Most of my devices have both or S/PDIF. My PC sound card only has an optical output.

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
- no preference. although i do get paranoid about damaging TOSlink by overbending.

- TOSlink for cable STB and computer, analog for everything else.

- i've not been able to detect the difference between a quality TOSlink and quality S/PDIF.

- STB and computer have TOSlink, universal player has both.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
1) I prefer TOSlink. Less chance for ground issues.
2) TOSlink.
3) Both sound the same.
4) My gear accepts both.

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer?
TOSlink

TOSlink

I don't know. I have never used S/PDIF

I think everything has both except for my DVD player which only has TOSlink

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
1. S/PDIF
2. Both
3. S/PDIF by a whisker but it could be mind tricks
4. Both

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1) TOSlink (just 'cause fiber's cooler than 'YARCAC' [yet another RCA cable])

2) Both

3) Neither

4) Both. TOSlink from DVD player to receiver and HTPC to receiver, coax from DVR to receiver.

Alternate answer: trick question, as TOSlink carries SPDIF signals ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BobBart

Audioholic
Prefer spdif
Use both
Both sound identical
Equipment has both.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) I prefer coaxial simply because it is less likely to be knocked out.
2) Coaxial whenever available.
3) Both sound fine.
4) My players have both, but my game consoles only have optical. (PS3 has HDMI, but my receiver doesn't).

A

Acuramusic42

Audiophyte
4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?[/I]

1. S/PDIF
2. Both
3. Sound the same to me.
4. Both

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
1) TOSLink
2) TOSLink
3) Although subjective at best, I trust TOSLink the most.
4) Both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis