Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

What was/is the biggest obstacle in getting the acoustics in your room right?

• Aesthetics / Decor / Spousal acceptance

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • Do not know what to do or where to begin

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Rent or planning to move - do not want to invest before having a more permanent place

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

naisphoo

Banned
Of course I didn't know where to begin as I'm a newbie to this AV world. I have to be honest that my ignorance led me to spend money on things that are worthless. I have been duped by some not so honest salespeople at best buy and ultimate electronics. Yes, I ended-up buying audioquest cables from best buy for over $500 on the advice of the...salesperson. The very bottom end cables from this manufacturer ( they like to call it entry-level). Yes I was clueless about cables. How about this guy who happend to be a shift manager at Ultimate electronics, he wanted me to buy the "Cadillac of all cables, the top of the line cables from Monster, the Z series..." "Don't they sound good? Z series just like a Bimmer for just $1,500..." he said. Great Lord, there still are good people like your guys in this forum. I learned so much since I found your guys....I love you all...

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Rives Test Disk...

WAF is definately the biggest problem, and when combined with live room acoustics, tile floors, lots of glass windows, open room, it becomes more challenging.

Room acoustics can be modified, but will the wife accept our proposed changes to her carefully selected decor? That's where Rives comes in to help us...:cool:

I'd love to try out the test disk, get a bit of professional advice, and I'll even offer decent wine or beer as a bribe. Take that, Rip....:cool: Plus, it's not snowing in southwest Florida.

Pat

N

nosaj

Enthusiast
Home theater...key word home.

After reading about measurements, axis and placement I still find it difficult to achieve the best possible results. In fact, I believe the only real solution is to design a room from the start to be the designated home theater room and all from there all will fall in place. This is something I am planning on in my new home. Thats right...you heard it here...I am building my new home around my home theater...yes!

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I really don't know what to do or where to start. I can tell you if it involves rearranging or changing furniture, my wife's not going to let it happen. I hope possibly calibrating my system better might do the trick. Please Help!

T

tpistey

Audiophyte
Yes it's the wife...

Like many of you, my wife considers herself an interior decorator. Compromises must be made if you are not fortunate enough to be able to afford a dedicated space. It does make for an interesting challege!

Cheers,
Tom

J

JeepFan

Audiophyte
Many story is the same as many others here. Getting the significant other to accept some of the changes that would need to occur for a better audio/visual experience is always a bit of a challenge. The benifits of a better experience do not in some cases outweigh the impact that occurs to the aesthetics in their minds.

Adjusting the sound at the source to help work around these restrictions is always a great choice.

Thanks,

CJ

H

hillk@msoe.edu

Audiophyte
Rives Audio Test CD 2 Contest

I'm planning on over coming this obstacle by winning this contest & working through the Rives CD to help calibrate my system. Otherwise if that doesn't work, I guess I could always buy the CD??? :)

S

svtf150

Audiophyte
Many challenges "echo chamber room and hall way. Hardwood floors. Sounds loud in bedrooms down hall.:confused:

F

freejeep

Enthusiast
Tom Andry said:
Contest Question: What was/is the biggest obstacle in getting the acoustics in your room right?
My biggest obsticle is my limited knowledge of room acoustics, combined with my limited budget and less than perfect room dimensions.

Tom Andry said:
Contest Question: How did/are you planning to overcome that obstacle?
Lots of research online. Can't afford commercial solutions or consultant fees, so I'm hopeing to be able to come up with some DIY solutions.

DonC

K

koyaan

Audiophyte
I've got an odd room

My home theater is in an oddly shapped room featuring a fireplace with glass doors, a glass slidding double patio door and opennings to a staircase, a hallway and an adjoining room. Obviously, this setup is less than optimum.
That said, however, the room is blessed with thick carpet, drapes and half a dozen tall book cases that help absorb reflected sound. All and all, it gives me a reasonable sound without exotic treatments.
Eventually, I'd like to take a dividing wall out from between the 2 small rooms adjoining my current home theater, upgrade to front projection, and move the whole nine yards over. That will probably have to wait a few years until I'm retired and can do most of the woork myself.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
Call it the SAF (Sister Acceptance Factor)

Besides the fact that I'm in an apartment, I've got a sister who is very particular about asthetics. I'll be using some drapes and a rug to help out, other than that I'm pretty much limited in my options.

T

tyvias

Audiophyte
Rives Audio Test Contest

My plan is once I get a house then I can focus on acoustic treatments that are athestically pleasing and/or transparent within the environment.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
My room is big and open up so the acoustic is not that great. I wish i have an extra room just dedicate for ht/music.
I want to win this CD as well :)

fatroz

fatroz

Audioholic Intern
One problem I have is the rental thing, so permanent install is out of the question. Aside from that my main problem is that I have a very high ceiling in my living room. So flutter echoes are happening up high in the room which makes my room sound very harsh and way to "live". I've been wanting to put sound absorbers up high on the walls, but mounting them is an issue. I can't really use spray adhesive because of damaging the walls when I want to take them down, so I will probably just have to nail or screw them to the walls. Hopefully that will take care of my problem.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
hardest thing about acoustics for me has been living in an apartment. dont want to do anything major to set the room up. Moving soon into my own place however, so let the room mods begin :D

E

ericlhyman

Audioholic Intern
Not sure what treatments are cost effective and how to optimize them.

A

Adil M

Enthusiast
Lots of people do not want to invest if the room is not permanent. There is also too much faith in AutoEQ taking care of everything.

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
I suppose the hardest part about my room is the actual design....which stinks. The room is fairly large with vaulted cielings and multiple openings (which is wonderful for entertaining, layout, and spousal acceptance, but not so good for room setup).

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Overcoming ambient noise. Of course I own an apartment, so thats always a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis