Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

What was/is the biggest obstacle in getting the acoustics in your room right?

• Aesthetics / Decor / Spousal acceptance

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • Do not know what to do or where to begin

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Rent or planning to move - do not want to invest before having a more permanent place

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flognam

Audiophyte
room acoustics

i guess the biggest problem is in trying to decide whether or not to soundproof the room or just leave it alone.

T

TheFinalWord

Enthusiast
I'm currently renting so I'm limited in what I can/will do to improve the acoustics. When I purchase a house this year, one of my major considerations will be a room well suited to a proper home theatre setup.

I

implicit

Audiophyte
I've been adding components to my home theater setup but I've been waiting to buy speakers.

At the moment I'm renting and high volume = eviction. I'm hoping to purchase a house this year so I'm running a cheap set of Quest speakers until I'm somewhere permanent and I can invest in some high quality tower speakers.

bsodmike

bsodmike

Audioholic Intern
I'd say managing the mess of cables that goes with a HT, this can get costly and quires a fair amount of planning. Worthwhile at the end of the day tho :)

--Mike

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
Although Aesthetics / Decor / Spousal acceptance would play a big part in the end product, the fact that I know nothing about where to start would be my final answer.

-Lou

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
The hardest obstacle for me is understanding all of the techincal jargon associated with acoustics.

I plan on overcoming this by continuing to learn through this forum and trial by fire.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I am an architect and I'm planning a gut rehab of my 1-story ranch. I'll invest on a decent system and room then.

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Renting and didn't want to pay the security fee for cutting holes in the wall!

M

MBauer

Audioholic
Decor and Functionality

While many have stated it is spousal acceptance, I also want our listening area to look good. For example, I don't want a large subwoofer under the coffee table or located at the end of my couch. Until I finish my purpose built Home Theater room I have to live with compromises, and try to get the best sound. Even a purpose built room will have some compromises around viewing angles, speaker placement, and so forth that I will have to accept.

Compromises are a fact of life, just as I limit my spending on gear, I have to limit my placement of that gear, wish I didn't but I have to

sks939

sks939

Enthusiast
I'm moving into a new house in a month and looking forward to getting a Denon AVR-4306 to help dial in the sound.

R

RudeDog

Enthusiast
Like most folks, my HT room serves other purposes. I'd like to improve the acoustics of the room beyond comfy couches and thick carpets but I can only go so far before the significant-other says "enough". Knowing what could be done in addition to these basics that have a high WAF would be a big help.

D

df4801

Banned
not knowing where to begin -

solution - read this forum daily!

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
I have a few obstacles, mostly finacial. The second largest barrier is the wierd shape of my room. My theater room opens in to 3 other rooms and has a high slanted ceiling. I have many factors to consider in getting the room acoustics right.

S

ShzAZ28

Audiophyte
Rives Audio Test CD 2

Vaulted ceilings and room dimensions don't really support a HT very well. The accoustical issue can be resolved but because the room is narrow and long, we need to repull all current wiring. I really don't like pulling wire in that type of ceiling to an outside wall. Of course, cost (spousal) support is w/out a doubt an issue (you can accomplish just about anything is enough $ is there).

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I expect my biggest acoustic problem to be the furnace just on the other side of the back wall. Haven't yet decided how to tackle that one yet.

S

sk60

Enthusiast
Probably that there are three walls and then an open space to the right

M

MisoSoup

Audiophyte
Decor police :(. Speaker placement is tough because it's defined by a large entertainment center. Properly wiring the surrounds and subs has been tough because they're on the other side of the room and cable runs are difficult in the space.

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
My biggest obstacle is that I'm in the military, I move every 1-3 years, and am therefore a serial-renter. The only option I have now is to use the best equipment I can afford... I do, however, have grand plans for the retirement home, in 'bout 10 more years :)

M

MDC

Enthusiast
Multi Purpose Room

Our theatre/listening room doubles as a family room. The entertainment center and room layout necessitated placing the speakers close to walls. In addition, the speaker finish had to be cherry to match. My solution was to find speakers that worked well in a tight area. I chose Linn Ninkas and have been very happy!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Two rooms in one

My family room opens up into the kitchen on one side so the room is not well defined. The family room is not very active acoustically but the kitchen is very active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis