Enter to Win: Real Wood Upgrade with Purchase from Axiom Audio!

What is the most important feature you'd look for if you were to buy a new receiver?

• HDMI connections

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Amplifier quality / power output

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Auto setup/ EQ

• Video upscaling

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Generation of processor chip

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ipod docking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please describe below)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
$

$ithr32

Enthusiast

Audio quality is absolutely number one on my "must have list" for a receiver

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I'm a noob so I want my auto-EQ and setup very nicely done with a GREAT UI. I don't want to dig through ten-thousand menus to find a simple setting. I look for neat tech like the Audessy EQ in my receivers. I also think upgradeable firmware (say for Auto-EQ) would be a nice addition.

I take it for granted that any audio-phile receiver will have a great quality amp. But there are a lot of things in receivers that just don't get enough attention.

For instance the remote and back-lighting, are almost always ignored (why?!!). OSD UIs are usually bad or even lacking. When present, sometimes they have long delays between switching options.

HMDI and DVI are also very important, but I am not sure I would trust the de-interlacing done in a receiver. If they would have the option for pure-pass through without any intermediary conversions (e.g 1080p->1080i->1080p), then I'd be much happier.

R

RPM2

Audiophyte
I voted amp quality/power but it should really be sound quality and component quality.
To me it doesn't matter what power you have if the sound is accurate and the amp has enough reserve power to keep from distorting.
Quality components make the unit last and sound the best it can --with proper engineering of course.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Amplifier quality / power output number one, because a high quality amp will sound like garbage if it runs out of power.
Build quality after that; a perfect amp loses some of it’s appeal if the chasse looks like its made out of aluminum foil :D

B

burntcore1

Audiophyte
A receiver with an HDMI 1.3 and hopefully able to drive a 4 ohm load.

J

jzac

Audioholic
Good stuff...

Obviously, excellent amp quality matched with good power would satisfy most people, like me, that will make good hungry 4ohms speakers happy. I would like to see enough connections too at the back to handle all my toys well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Power is a gimme - but HDMI 1.3 is the must. I already have a good receiver, and it has plenty of power. If I am going to upgrade I want the next level of receiver that is going to match up with my next level optical disc player. Blu-ray and HD-DVD will be delivering more across HDMI than has ever been seen in digital perfection - and today's receivers are just not keeping up.

I want HDMI 1.3 - and I NEED at least 3 inputs!

Heck... where's my HDMI matrix switcher? :)

J

jafo_91

Enthusiast
Receiver Choice

I would definately go with Pwr choice for 7 speakers. Although, the HDMI choice is right up there. I would be looking for a combination of the two. I would want to hook up my Laser Disc, DVD, Xbox, Satellite, DVD Recorder, Vhs, ect... all up to the Receiver with only One HDMI hookup to the Projector. Then I would use the Receiver as Pre-Amp and use the line outputs to a dedicated Amp like the one I heard Axiom was currently working on.

However, If I decided to use the Internal Amp on the Receiver, The more Power the Better. I like to have a lot of head room w/ power in reserve.

L

larryatl

Audiophyte
Quality

I like excellence in products that are important to me and music is one of the things I enjoy most and excellence demands top quality and enough power to not stress the system.

D

dbpolk

Enthusiast
I mentioned video upscaling but what I am really referring to is video switching and converting differents inputs to one common output. Like the conversion of component to HDMI

S

snock

Audiophyte
The main thing I am watching for in my next recevier is ability to handle HD audio like dolby true hd.

M

mrrame

Enthusiast
I go for Auto Setup/Eq

I choose Auto EQ/Setup, as this is where most of them go wrong. I have seen many people doing a fair bit of research when purchasing their speakers, but most of them ignore Speaker level/calibration and go with built in audio modes available in the receiver. Seaker calibration is so important as it is so based on their room setup.
I only use AutoFrequencyDetection and play sound as it was recorded. I used AVIA to calibrate my HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis