Enter to Win: Real Wood Upgrade with Purchase from Axiom Audio!

What is the most important feature you'd look for if you were to buy a new receiver?

• HDMI connections

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Amplifier quality / power output

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Auto setup/ EQ

• Video upscaling

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Generation of processor chip

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ipod docking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please describe below)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vart

Audioholic
I chose auto setup. I don't really have a trained ear to be able to do it myself. A close second would be HDMI switching.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
POWER! I can get most other connectors and accessories from any BestCity receiver, but true wattage is hard to come by. I'm currently stuck and need some in-wall or on-wall speakers, and those Axioms look mighty nice... :rolleyes: :)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I voted for amplifier quality/power. Many of the other featers are nice, but at the end of the day, the quality of the power produced is the lowest common denominator, the aspect that all receivers need. For instance, you could have a receiver that has all of the othe features in spades, but if it's got underpowered, crappy amps in it, those features are all but moot. Yep.

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
Amp power for sure. What is the basic function of a receiver anyway ya know?

-Hutz

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Since this is an exercise in gathering marketing information my vote would have to be for a multipoint EQ system. This a niche market with a lot of room for growth, and a limited number of players.

As for all the votes for power…well, yes of course, but do your really think Axiom would put out a receiver with a crappy amplifier section, or beat the dollar per watt value found in the A500? From a marketing perspective it would be difficult to stand out in the crowd when it comes to power.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I choose

amp and power because buying floor speakers, for me will be ultimately decided by that factor.:D
ie: m60's or m80's

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Auto EQ.

Just bought an Axiom system, and before pushing a few buttons and moving a microphone around a few times, the subwoofer would scare the cat to death. Bugger must have jumped a foot straight up. Afterwards, nice smooth seamless bass response.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Quality is also important to me. All the new features/technologies are fine, but not much use to me if the sound quality isn't there.

Jack

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
In addition to the highest quality preamp and amp sections, broadband connectivity of HDMI 1.3 or better, full switching and processing of 1080P, DTS True HD, and Dolby HD, and the capability and flexibility to be modified in the future to accept future formats.

I

iluvmovies

Audiophyte
Amp power

I find the sound sets the tone of the video, thus a
strong amp and a good tone sets the stage for the
picture.
dg

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
I chose "Amplifier quality / power output". Without clean sound, a receiver is useless to me.

Things like HDMI connections can often be run direct to the TV. The auto-audio setup features can often be manually tweaked just as well. I prefer to use my TVs scaler/video-processor, and I don't have an iPod yet.

J

JasonE

Enthusiast
Receiver

I chose HDMI first, waiting on 1.3 to buy a flagship receiver. Quality is also very important w/ processing clean power

crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
What is the most important feature you'd look for if you were to buy a new receiver?

Amp quality and power output is my vote.

If it can't power the speakers sufficiently, it won't matter what nifty features the receiver has. It has to be loud when I want it, but always clean.

That being said, HDMI connections are second place, along with video scaling.

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
I checked the Other box.

In looking at receivers what I mainly look for is connectivity. I recently bought a Yamaha 5960 because of the connectivity it offered over comparable receivers in the same price range. Extra optical input, presence speakers are cool, etc. While shopping online the first thing I would look at was the back panel of a receiver before I looked any further.

J

jayczar

Audiophyte
definitely amp quality and power output because I like it loud and to sound good doing it.:p

F

frankv

Audiophyte
Why HDMI?

This was a tough call, most of the criteria in the survey are important in my decision making process. However I have come to believe that home theater systems need to tightly integrate the audio and video experience in order to simplify the integration process for the end user. Thus the ability to integrate digital video is most important in my mind at this time. (FWIW- I also assume that given the present state of the art that any unit with HDMI will also likely meet my other requirements including audio quality.)

rplotkin

Audiophyte
Well, I picked HDMI (w/ HDCP), because it offers a digital signal path for the new lossless audio codecs. Not to mention it would mean a lot fewer cables. However, amp quality, *good* audio eq, and a good-quality scaler are all important in my next purchase.

A

atari4ever

Audiophyte
If it does not sound good why buy it?I can care less about the looks and set up

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Most important AVR feature

The power / quality is far and away the most important. If the AVR simply switched inputs and handled the decoding I'd be fine. If the amp section is lousy, then all the features in the world won't help it sound good - the primary function of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis