Enter to Win: Onix X-sub from AV123

What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

• Aesthetics/Size

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maximum Output

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Maximum Extension

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback

Votes: 223 83.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think most would say that accuracy is the most important, but really if you ask the SIGNIFICANT OTHERS of many, that might change....:D So what people say is important vs what will sell may not be exactly the same thing. IMO, there is a fairly sizable market for a decent, mid to low 20s response sub in a small form factor that has high WAF. WAF isn't a problem for me :)

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
The accuracy and quality of the bass is what I am looking for in a sub woofer.

If it can play low and loud that is always an added bonus, but as long as the bass is tight I am happy.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Hmm...

While maximum output and extension is important, you can throw both of them out the window if the signal is a distorted mess that sounds like a dump truck in low gear.

Tight, high output SPL will be more effective in almost all cases than extension and aesthetics. Don't misunderstand me, I love to feel the bass as well as hear it, even more so when the sub is going to be used predominantly in a home theater setting. However, low extension is irrelevant if its not well controlled and isn't a good representation of the original signal.

Size and aesthetics also come into play and is typically dependent on the setting or application of the sub itself. However, this it generally the last of the aforementioned criteria I suggest and adhere to that a subwoofer purchase is based on. -TD

D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
The most important thing to me is a tight fast sound, clean not muddy. It also helps if it looks good too.

G

gmoneyreece

Junior Audioholic
deep extension, accurate response. (and "WOW" from from my friends when feel their insides rumbling and chest collapsing!)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Accurate: Low distortion, flat FR
Loud: I want my couch to bounce with the bass :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Looks aren't too important. For me, it's all about the sound. First and foremost is the accuracy and "tightness" of the bass. Without that, a subwoofer is nothing. Secondly, a subwoofer should be able to go fairly deep, otherwise it's not a subwoofer. Lastly, loud is great, but any decently designed subwoofer will have sufficient volume for the room the design is intended for. But the ability to go to ridiculous levels never hurts though. :D

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Max Output

Earth Shattering Bass...
The kind my apartment neighbors just love!!!!

aircare1

aircare1

Enthusiast
Clean & crisp

Onix X-sub ...post your more specific response to the question below:

Contest Question: What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?[/I]
I like what you guys say @ your website, "At AV123 sound quality is our #1 priority but we also think that a subwoofer does not have to be ugly to sound good." There are some ugly subs out there... some of 'em look like computer towers. As for me, I like a clean crisp sound that can only be achieved by "great attack and decay times", as per AV123's claims about the Onix X-sub.

Ship that baby to my Clemmons, NC, address!

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Yep, Quality and accuracy for me too. Otherwise it's just noise

C

CooLJ92

Audioholic Intern
I like for it to be very accurate. It must also have a good amp to produce the bass.

Thanks for this opportunity.

jj:)

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I got lucky and my wife gave me pretty much full control of the dedicated HT, no WAF for me :D :D

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
DEEP bass

Deep accurate bass with high SPL's is the most important consideration I have when evaluating a sub.

A sub that not only shakes your house but your neighbor’s too is a rocking sub!

D

dsmith901

Audiophyte
You can have the boom, I will take the clean, tight low notes every time.

T

triskit

Audiophyte
What features are most important in a subwoofer?

1) Accurate bass. Not muddy or boomy.
2) Not too big that it is obtrusive.
3) The bass should feel natural and the subwoofer should never call attention to itself (I hear/feel bass, but it doesn't pull my eyes to the sub).
4) Down firing.
5) Simple design.

D

daman4799

Junior Audioholic
I still like everthing nice and tight!

Later, Daman

A

ahdeeoh

Enthusiast
At 11' by 11.5', my home theater room is relatively easy to fill with bass. Accurate bass is much more important than 1 note boom. However, as I am married, aesthetics is a very close second. It's hard to enjoy deep accurate bass if there is the constant shrill noise of you're significant other asking you about that gigantic box in HER family room.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Really, the ideal sub has to have it all. A weakness in any of the cited areas, with perhaps the exception of WAF (I gotta say that seeing as I have the SVS 20-39), would have to be grounds for disqualification. Maybe that sounds like the easy answer, but the truth is that accuracy and tight response becomes moot without sufficient volume, and will be frustrating without enough extension. Also, build quallity is a factor for prolonged use, especially at the levels common to the contributors to this forum.

We want it all, and we want it now, and we want it reasonably priced!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis