Enter to Win: Music from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I was also going to vote for The Big Man, Clarence Clemmons, but was going to throw in the sax solo in "Born to Run". It's brief, and pretty simple, but it is (to me), one of the classic rock sax solos.

Steve Berlin has done some great tenor sax work on Los Lobos albums, as well as for The Blasters. I am trying to think of the song on the first Blasters album that has a great "honking" tenor sax part. It's something about Samson and Delilah (that might be the title - I'm not sure).

Speaking of simple, I love the two-note sax "solo" on the Beach Boys' "Shut Down", for its great tone, and pure simplicity. (In my opinion, the best of the Beach Boys' car songs, "Little Deuce Coupe", "409", and "Fun, Fun, Fun" notwithstanding.)

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
This is pretty tough for me. I've heard alot of Jazz and Blues, but rock-n-roll sax didnt come to mind quickly.

I do remember and like **** Parry's sax solo on "Money," by Pink Floyd, on "The Dark Side of the Moon" album. lol, I've listened to that album hundreds of times while watching "The Dark Side of Oz".

I have not heard this song yet on DVD-A or SACD....I'll have to do that soon.

Reorx

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Selected Pink Floyd songs specificly,"Money," and Shine on you Crazy Diamond"

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Since someone "stole" my "Maxine" choice (I can think of a couple of other Michael Brecker examples as well), I'll go with a real blast from the past: The Phil Woods (alto sax) solo on Steely Dan's "Doctor Wu". Not only was Phil Woods an acknowledged jazz legend at the time, his performance on a pop hit paved the way for his great solo on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" as well as opening the door for guys like Wayne Shorter and Pete Christlieb to get the call on later Steely Dan albums. Sometimes they just don't make them like they used to!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Born to run is a great rock tune with a good sax solo.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I was listening to some old Supertramp and I have to say that I also like John A. Helliwell's work on "Breakfast in America" and "Brother, where are you Bound" albums. Just not a lot of artists in the rock genre to pick from who play saxophone.

D

daytonave

Audiophyte
Dire Straits

The solo to open "Your Latest Trick" from Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms is fantastic. The recording quality of the sax is incredible, which may be due to the fact that I have the DVD-audio version encoded in MLP 5.1. Either way, subjective tastes aside, one cannot deny the fidelity of the sax recording in Your Latest Trick.

G

GregBe

Audioholic
Hank "Hurricane" Carter on Long Gone by George Thorogood off of the Maverick CD. Hard rock'n bluesy energetic song that incorporates the sax with gusto.

R

RMK!

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Not really an out and out rocker but the Chris Wood sax solo is haunting and Low Spark is one of my favorite Traffic songs.

Noggy

Noggy

Audiophyte
Greatest Tenor Sax the World Has Ever Known

Although, after reading all the previous posts that have brought back to mind all the great sax players that have graced our lives with their music, its my opinion and that of perhaps a few million people throughout the civilized world, that Joe Henderson is one of the greatest tenor sax players to have ever played.

Wow...impossible to pick just one solo for this guy. Try Afro-centric or Black Narcissus, which take you to some other place. Or perhaps Shade of Jade, which I find sultry and seductive (so does my husband :) ) And who can forget If You're Not Part of the Solution...wow.

Well...that's enough for me. This has gotten me in the mood for some serious Sax. GLTA

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I really like Candy Dulfer, but my favorite performances hardly qualify as a best "solo" in a song...

And I was going to pick a song by a somewhat short-lived local band - Harden My Heart by Quarterflash...

But for me, the best Sax solo is by Richard Parry in Pink Floyd's Us And Them . The smooth, sultry tones were a perfect accompaniment to the vocals and other instruments and just set the mood of the song. I like him in Shine On You Crazy Diamond just fine, but this was Great.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The sax being my favorite instrument, this was a tough one.
Even with Steely Dan and, Pink Floyd in the running.
My pick, is a sax solo I could feel all the way down to my toes.
Foreigner's "Urgent" (which featured a blazing sax solo from Motown vet Junior Walker) has stuck with me for many years.

Cancer, which claimed his life on November 23, 1995. He is surely missed.

deemic

deemic

Audioholic Intern
Song on the Radio - Al Stewart

Great opening sax solo to start the song and draw you in.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
I would have to say Perry from Pink Floyd. A great rock band with a saxaphone is something you don't hear to much of.

B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Best (Rock) Sax Player

For me, Tom Scott(sorry for the miss-spelling of his last name),even tough "Jazz-Rock" perhaps is the proper format for his work in/on Steally Dan'"Ajai"(probly spelled that wrong too,sorry).Any how Tom has been a long time Great Sax Player and my pick for this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis