Enter to Win: $100 off purchase from Emotiva Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. Sound quality
2. video processing and scaling
3. extensive signal handling and switching
4. automatic set loudspeaker set up
5. price
6. HDMI switching

I believe you get what you pay for and thats why price is lower on the list. Things related to quality and enhancement rank higher on my list.

S

Shortsord

Audioholic Intern
1. Sound quality
5. Video processing and scaling
2. Extensive signal handling and switching
6. Price
3. Automatic set loudspeaker set up
4. HDMI switching

Sound quality and image processing must be the top factors for the very fact that this is what I see it's pure use for. These two things are the very core of a receiver, and anything else must come beneath them for a quality product. From there, I personally crave a plethora of inputs and outputs, as one of those types that dreads needing a switcher box or splitter. Price comes next because everybody has a budget, and that must be considered. I also feel that the next to, automatic set up and HDMI, are not fully necessary yet, as the former can always be done by hand and generally better that way, and the latter many don't have a frequent use for yet. An AV receiver must focus on the audio and visual aspects of their performance before anything else, so say I.

T

Tod

Audioholic
1. Sound quality: I'm more of a music than HT person, a classical listener, and I'm trying to make my ears picky and refined.

2. Price: Poor student.

3. Automatic equalization: Haven't experienced it quite yet, but it sounds like the thing to have.

4. Video processing: Given the weaknesses of my projector, there's not too much that processing could help or harm too much. I accept it with its weaknesses, because if I start getting picky about that I'm in even more financial trouble.

5. Extensive signal switching: I only run one DVD/CD player into the main system. No TV. No cable. No satellite. Rarely VCR, and I can find a processor with 2 video inputs pretty much anywhere.

6. HDMI: I will not reach that point until I can upgrade my projector. Year to years from now.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
1. Sound quality - always most important
2. Automatic set loudspeaker set up - can't do without it to accomplish #1
3. Price - always considered - I'm not wealthy
4. Video processing and scaling - only if it superior
5. Extensive signal handling and switching - makes life a lot easier...
6. HDMI switching - nice but I only have one hdmi source

J

Jbert

Audiophyte
1. Sound Quality
2. Price
3. Automatic Loudspeaker set up
4. Video Processing
5. Extensive Signal handling and switching
6. HDMI switching

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions: When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.

1. Sound quality: It's got to sound good.
2. Price. 2 kids in braces with college to come
3. Video processing and scaling. I currently don't have any scaling ability
4. Extensive signal handling and switching. You've got to handle all of the inputs.
5. Automatic set loudspeaker set up. It would be nice as a starting point.
6. HDMI switching. No HDMI in my system at the moment.

M

madadam

Enthusiast
1. Sound quality
6. Price
4. HDMI switching

I don't have a very complicated setup and have external video switching and scaling.

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
my list

Here is my list:
1. Sound Quality
2. Price
3. Audio Formats and Switching
4. Auto Speaker setup
5. HDMI switching
6. Video Processing

R

robemyers

Audiophyte
1. Sound quality
2. Video processing and scaling
3. Price
4. Automatic set loudspeaker set up
5. Extensive signal handling and switching
6. HDMI switching

Good quality audio and video at a fair price works for me.

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
$100 Gc

1. Price
2. Sound quality
3. Video processing and scaling
4. HDMI switching
6. Automatic set loudspeaker set up

I think right now the size of my screen is more important than surround sound so my choices are accordingly. (I have a separate 2 channel room.)

M

mark4mich

Audioholic Intern
1. Sound quality
2. Price
3. Automatic set loudspeaker setup
4. Extensive signal handling and switching
5. HDMI switching
6. Video processing and scaling

I hook up my TV directly from the source, only have component inputs, therefore sound is by far the most important. And obviously good price as my funds are limited.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Home theater processor survey

Contest Questions: When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.

Response:
1. Price
2. Sound quality
3. Extensive signal handling and switching
4. HDMI switching

I would want any home theater processor to be state-of-the-art for both audio and video processing but without the "high-end" cost (e.g., the Athem Statement D2 comes to mind). Frankly, it it's not "affordable," then it's nothing more than wishful eye and ear candy for all but well-heeled customers (not me).

Anyone bothering with audio separates should insist on great sound quality, the primary goal of a separates approach.

I would include HDMI switching as part of feature 3, extensive signal handling and switching, which should also include a Firewire input for some flagship universal players with that kind of output.

Despite its fifth ranking, I would put video processing and scaling on par with features 3 and 4 because even current HDTVs often times have such poor video processing capabilities. A typical case in point is trying to watch standard definition programming on a fixed-pixel, HDTV-capable, non-flaghip model TV (for its size and price point) without the benefit of a stand-alone video processor.

B

Barovia

Audiophyte
1. Sound quality
2. Price
3. Extensive signal handling and switching
4. Video processing and scaling
5. HDMI switching

Sound quality has to be tops here. I will shell out more cash for a better sounding product. Had to put automatic set up last. I like tinkering with everything too much to do an auto setup.

F

fattyboombah85

Enthusiast

1. Price
2. Sound Quality
3. Video Processsing and scaling
4. Extensive Signal handling and Switching
5. HDMI switching
6. Automatic loudspeaker set up

Price is important because I may not be able to afford the product and because everything I do with my money is an investment, I want to use it well. IF something will last me a very long time and I think It is a quality product then I will put more money into it. However, I also have to take into account new technology and the possible unfortunate event that may ruin my product.

The rest is just to my tastes.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
1. Sound quality
4. HDMI switching
6. Price

1. Price...I'm disabled and on a fixed income. A/V money is very hard to come by.
2. Sound quality...Doesn't everyone want beautiful sounds from their systems?
3. Auto setup...this is really a great feature for those of us without a lot of money for setup equipment and room treatments.
4. HDMI switching...It's convenient but not necessary.
5. Video processing and scaling...This will become more important when I can afford other video upgrading.

Thank you.

C

chenyk

Enthusiast
1. Sound quality
2. HDMI switching
3. Price
4. Video processing and scaling

Well - Sound quality is what it's all about. Otherwise I would just get like home system that cost $100. Extensive signal handling With more and more HDMI components, I really need HDMI switching (3 to 1 is the best) and I willing to pay additional $$ just to get this. Video processing and scalling in fact as important especially most of tv channels are still in SD format. (NOTE: I'm really looking for good SD -> HD).

I'm not so sure what you means Extensive Signal handling and switching but I guess it's about sound processing DTS, PLIIx etc. If that what is it then I just current top PLIIx, DTS and HD. Automatic set loudspeaker set up not as critical seem this easy enough to set it manually with Radio Shack sound meter.

Said that - each of them are as important. In fact, most probably I won't even buy any receiver, components without all those features except Automatic set loudspeaker.

P

project86

Audioholic
1. Sound quality-- because that's the reason for the unit in the 1st place!
2. Price-- because I'm poor...
3. Extensive signal handling and switching-- I've had units with limited ins/outs, and it was very frustrating
4. HDMI switching-- You need at least 2: one for your DVD player, and one for your dish/directv/cable box. Not all TVs have 2 or more inputs either.
5. Video processing and scaling-- not as important to me as long as it is decent
6. Automatic set loudspeaker set up-- doesnt really matter at all

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Sound quality
Extensive signal handling and switching
Automatic set loudspeaker set up
Price
HDMI switching
Video processing and scaling

Sound quality is most important, followed by switching. Video switching and processing are least important, and i don't have any HDMI components yet.

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic

1. Sound quality
4. HDMI switching
6. Price

1. Sound quality
  2. Video processing and scaling
  3. Price
  4. Extensive signal handling and switching
  5. HDMI switching

Sound quality is where it's all at. I mean, that's why we are getting away from the tv speakers right? Video processing would be next, followed by price...for the reason that I can't afford something too expensive.

I want the processor to have enough plugs for all my gear, but I don't have any HDMI at the moment, and if I did, I wouldn't mind just hooking it up direct.

Last, auto speaker set up. I'm a tinkerer, and I like to do it myself, so I'm not real interested in that.

S

shadlock

Audiophyte
Order of importance --

1. Sound Quality
2. Price
3. HDMI Switching
4. Signal Handling/Switching
5. Video Processing
6. Automatic Speaker Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.