Enter to Win: $100 off purchase from Emotiva Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Emotiva Audio wants you to win!

Emotiva Audio is giving away $100 off any purchase of over $498 to twenty-five (25) eligible forum members. Coupons are good until June 30th, 2007.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Live in the continental US and 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions: When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.
1. Sound quality
2. Extensive signal handling and switching
3. Automatic set loudspeaker set up
4. HDMI switching
5. Video processing and scaling
6. Price​
Note this contest ends on December 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT Pre/Pro Features

Here is my list:
1. Sound Quality
2. Price
3. Audio Formats and Switching
4. Auto Speaker setup
5. HDMI switching
6. Video Processing

My gift cert would probably go towards an LPA-1 Amp to power my HT.

C

cleansparks

Enthusiast
Contest Questions: When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you.

1. Price
2. Sound quality
3. Extensive signal handling and switching
4. HDMI switching
5. Automatic set loudspeaker set up
6. Video processing and scaling

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
1. Sound quality
3. Price
4. Video processing and scaling
5. HDMI switching
6. Automatic set loudspeaker set up

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Order of importance:
1. Sound Quality
2. Signal Handling/Switching
3. Price
4. HDMI Switching
5. Automatic Speaker Setup
6. Video Processing

Obviously sound quality is the most important. I'll rule out products before anything else based solely on sound quality. Next there needs to be enough inputs of the type I need. Although this isn't many in my case.

Price is more important to me than HDMI switching because I only have one digital video source. And that's the plan for the foreseeable future. However, HDMI switching is more important to me than automatic speaker setup because I can do the latter manually in about the same amount of time given test signals from the processor. Parametric EQ or decay compensation would be much nicer than automatic speaker setup though.

Finally video processing doesn't matter to me. I'll either use an outboard video processor or purchase video transports that are good.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
1. Price
2. Video processing and scaling
3. Sound quality
4. Extensive signal handling and switching
5. HDMI switching
6. Automatic set loudspeaker set up

No matter what kind of insane abilities a system may posses, if I can't afford it, then what good is it? Price comes first.

Sound is important, but I need to have video processing and scaling that is beyond human. Why? Because the industry is determined to screw the customer over by not settling on a standard. No way I'm going to buy the same movie for HD/BD/DVD and whatever new hair-brained format the industry decides to set tomorrow. As a result, until the dust settles, I want scalers that can do a good job of upscaling/downscaling video.

I also want the best quality de-interlacers to handle 1080i broadcasts. I feel that given the sad state of affairs mentioned above, video processing/scaling is super important.

Sound quality is extremely important as well, but for reasons explained above, I feel that video processing takes precedence (I can already see the forum members trying to ban me :p)

Signal handling comes next since every format comes with a different set of restrictions whereby some handle 5.1 channels of sound, some don't or handle it with only 2 channels etc, etc. Another fine mess. So at the very least give us inputs so that we can sort this out ourselves and get connectivity which allows us to enjoy our HT in all it's glory.

HDMI switching will become more important...if they can ever settle on the damn spec. So I just bought a TV and already HDMI 1.3 is ready to come out offering more bandwidth allowing for 1080p/60 and more sound channels and world peace. If more components start offering HDMI, then switching becomes more important....but definitely takes a back-seat to the others.

Auto setup is great for the n00bs, but being a n00b myself I put this last because hell, if it came down to you the manufacturer not being able to make a better video scaler because you had to devote resources for auto-setup, I'll learn how to do it myself!!! What I CANNOT do myself is to de-interlace 1080i flawlessly.

So this is my ranking. Sorry if the frustration shows through! :D

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Pick me!

Order of importance:
1. Sound Quality
2. Signal Handling/Switching
3. Price
4. Automatic Speaker Setup
5. HDMI Switching
6. Video Processing

Sound quality is the most important. Reasonable amt of inputs. The rest is just the gravy.
Price is more important to me than HDMI.:)

nav

nav

Audioholic
1. Sound quality. It's all for naught if I don't enjoy listening to it.
2. Price. Something doesn't have to be cheap, but the price must be something I find fair. If the next step up is twice as nice for four times the cost, it's just not as good of a value.
3. Extensive signal handling and switching. Really, I think most products do an excellent job of signal handling with the exception of HDMI (it's almost there), so I think there's little else for which to pine on this topic. Less composite video and S-Video inputs and more than the standard three or four component video inputs and/or more than the couple DVI/HDMI thrown in would be nice, but it'll probably have to wait until HDMI is ubiquitous before the legacy inputs can start scaling back.
4. Video processing and scaling. I still have yet to invest in an HD television, so scaling isn't really necessary for me yet. In my current setup, everything is run to the TV via component video so that I never have to touch the TV, just the receiver.
5. Automatic set loudspeaker set up. Even though I've played with the automatic calibration on my equipment (and it's done a fairly good job), I always end up doing further tweaking.
6. HDMI switching. As I mentioned, no HDTV: so there's no need at the moment. Definitely something that will quickly become important to me when I do make such an investment. I still don't have much faith in HDMI, seemingly too much only works partly or doesn't work with ever other device.

petro55

Enthusiast
1. Sound quality I don't want to buy something that does not sound good.

2. [B]Price[/B] It has to be in my budget i am not a extremely rich so i have to consider the price facter

3. Signal Handeling/switching It has to be compatibale with the signals i am looking at.

4. Automatic Speaker Setup Not very important i think it is more accurate to enter iit in your self.

5. HDMI Switching Also not that important becuase my T.V. has 2 inputs already.

6. Video Processing I am personaly looking at just the sound. My dvd player is for the video processing.

L

LejfK

Audiophyte
1. Sound quality
2. Price
3. HDMI switching
4. Extensive signal handling and switching
5. Automatic set loudspeaker set up (unless were talking digital room
correction--then this would go to #3)

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions:When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.

1. Sound quality
4. HDMI switching
6. Price​
1. Price - because if I can't afford it, I can't buy it. Definiately under $1k for me, but when I upgrade it'll probably be for less. I don't want to spend more than ~$2k on my next processor and amps.
2. Sound Quality - b/c if it sounds like crap, why would I buy it?
3. Extensive signal handling and switching - have to have room to grow. A million composite/s-video Vid connections are usueless, however. I prefer more digital connections to analog.
4. HDMI Switching - I'm actually waiting for good HDMI 1.3 processors so I can upgrade and be safe for a while. 3x HDMI ins would be nice, but 4 would be grand.
5. Automatic Set Loudspeaker Setup - I like this, but it has to be good. If it is inneffective it is useless. It should be user configurable for EQ, and should do good things for subwoofers, as well as measure from multiple room positions. Knowing exactly what it is doing and thinking is very important to me, as well as the ability to modify it.
6. Video Processing and scaling - this is nice, and becomes more necessary with HDMI. I don't think it is a requirement though. If I want a great video processor and scaler, I'll buy one. That said, if the processer makes the video passing through it worse, then we have an issue.

Now build it! :D

dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
My personal list...

1. Sound quality (A BIG #1) If it does'nt sound goon then what's the point.
2. Extensive signal handling and switching (A big highway for wire traffic is nice to have when you have alot of components.)
3. Price (Not looking for the cheepest, but it's got to have what I need and not alot of fluff.)
4. Automatic set loudspeaker set up (I'd rather do it myself)
5. Video processing and scaling (I'd rather it be done by the component)
6. HDMI switching (Not a priority right now for me)

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
1) Price: If it is beyond my price range (about $1500 or less), then the quality and features of the receiver are moot for me because I can't have it.

2) Sound quality: Sound quality is what you constantly experience from the unit, so it needs to deliver the goods. All the items below this one are either done only occasionally (speaker setup) or can be bypassed with alternative solutions (switchers and video processors).

3) Extensive signal handling and switching: Good signal handling and switching can make today's increasingly complex HT's much easier to work with.

4) HDMI switching: A nice feature, but less important for me since my video processor already does HDMI switching.

5) Video processing and scaling: TV's and projectors already have their own scaling (and some video processing in certain cases). Besides, a unit that tries to do everything will either end up making too many compromises, or will cost too much.

6) Automatic set loudspeaker set up: An SPL meter and 1-2 hours likely could do as good of a job, if not better.

Harmon

Audioholic Intern
1. Price
2. Sound Quality
4. HDMI switching
5. Auto speaker setup

Totoro

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions: When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.
1. Sound quality
4. HDMI switching
6. Price​
1. Sound quality (name brand and reputation)
2. Price
4. Automatic set loudspeaker set up
5. Video processing
6. HDMI switching

Reason is simple. I want good sound for a good price. Many of the other features can be handled by hooking up components directly to the TV if needed.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
1. Sound quality
3. Price
4. Video processing and scaling
6. HDMI switching

...Sound quality is paramount!
...Able to handle current and future in/out needs
...$-if I can't afford it?
...must be artifact free
...if just speaker set-up then I do myself; if it features room correction then I'd like to tri it (can you say Audyssey!)
...good switchers are becoming more and more available these days, although it would be nice the others are more important

R

rushwj

Audioholic
1. sound quality
2. price
3. extensive signal handling/switching
4. auto set-up
5. video processing
6. hdmi switching

sound quality is always the most important, but it has to fit into your price range. the rest are all secondary w/ auto set up being a nice touch, but not necessary and video processing, if done well, being a good addition w/ hdmi switching.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
1. Sound Quality
2. Price
3. Auto Set-up
4. Audio Formats and Switching
5. HDMI switching
6. Video Processing

1 and 2 are a tough choice. There is always a happy medium between the two.
My next 500 bucks could very well go to the LPA-1. 100 off would be very nice.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.

1. Price
2. Sound quality
4. HDMI switching

Price was #1 because of WAF and having to explain why I need to upgade yet again. So sound quality for that price (my allowed amount) was the next choice.
Everything else just falls in place due to my needs.

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
When selecting a home theater processor, please rate the followings features in order of importance to you. Please explain why you chose the order you did.

1. Sound quality (I'm happy with the features my current AVR has, so without better sound quality, no need to upgrade at this time)

2. Price (Small budget, good price required)

3. Extensive signal handling and switching (I don't use a lot of inputs now but I'd like some flexibility for future additions and I don't want to mess too much with difficult controls. Make this "Excellent UI and easy setup with good onscreen display via all video outs" and it may supercede price at the #2 spot)

4. Video processing and scaling (Again my current basic AVR seems to pass signal on to my monitor just fine but I'd like to know I have options about scaling SD signals up to better quality if I upgrade my monitor in the future)

5. Automatic set loudspeaker set up (Nice feature, not a deal breaker and I'll end up changing it anyway so not a big deal to me. Actually onboard multiband EQ per channel would be WAY more valuable to me than auto setup, and if it was included in this list would have ranked 2nd or 3rd)

6. HDMI switching (I have no HDMI devices at this time and don't plan on buying any until the format is more standardized and common)

Add these and you'll have something:

- Good, flexible bass management
- Flexible distance settings PER SPEAKER not per pair. If user could set distance and bass management settings per input, that would be even better
- Excellent customer service and support
- Company stability
- Long, comprehensive, transferrable warranty
- a very good, EASY to use remote
- Both balanced XLR and RCA pre outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis