Enter to Win: 10% off SVS Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
1.- I trust sites such as this for advice as there aren't any local show rooms.
2.- How "low does it go!" is a criteria
3.- Cost is also important.

T

tdubnrae

Enthusiast
I read as much as I can about the subs I'm looking at and try to compare them to my goals.

H

HDwannaB

Enthusiast
I evaluate,

1. The range of the sub (i.e. how low it can go, 20-30 Hz, to the cross over point)

2. Room filling Power

3. How it performs when played LOUD

When evaluating I use several websites such as this one as well as the manufacturers websites for technical data. If I'm lucky, I can find a store that has two or three subs I am interested in for a true side-by-side comparison

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
Musicality and low frequencys. Usually the LOTR: FOTR scene when sauron explodes is a good reference point.

DVD concerts is a good reference point for musicality. Dave Matthews Band.

-Hutz

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Any big sub can go " boom boom" in the home theater role. I am more interested in how a sub handles details. I evaluate a sub by listening to music performance on dvd with acoustic bass. One of my favorites is "Diana Krall Live in Paris."

S

Smoker_98

Audioholic Intern
Contest Response

Contest question: When you evaluate the performance of a sub, what do you evaluate and what material do you use to do so. For example, some might be interested in a sub’s extension (how low it can go), for this they might use the Darla Tap scene from Finding Nemo.
1. How it blends with my components.
2. How much power it has on reserve(when notes start to speed up as they go down the spectrum)
3. For testing I mainly use music I am familier with; but, one of my favorite cd's for testing is Tool - Aenima.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
1) I start off with a CD with test tones, one per track each lasting 10 seconds, starting at 10 Hz in 1 Hz increments up to 40Hz, to help determine the lower end of extension.

2) Second comes some DVDs to help determine home theater sound and articulation. I don't have a fixed set but common track are the "ring drop" scene from LOTR, the "Balrog" scene from LOTR, the "tapping" scene from Nemo, the sub scene from Nemo, the whale scene from Nemo, the Helicopter scene from The Matrix, and the intro scene and the Leeloo escapes scene from the 5th element. Also included is the cannon shots scene from Master and commander.

3) Last but not least are some CDs and DVD-As to help test the "musicality" - again nothing standard but prominent here are tracks from Stings "Brand New Day" DVD-A, Seal - Live in Paris, Dave Brubek "Time Out", and a large host of single tracks from other artists, depending on my mood.

Most importantly is that these tracks are "reference" for me, meaning I've heard them a lot on many different systems.

~Josh

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I use music and video with plenty of bass...source material I'm familiar with. I'm more interested in natural speaker bass extension than absolute bottom of the subsonic barrel. I will finish my trial with a torture test of U571 or Darla tapping...just to find out early the unit's limits.

Kruppy

Kruppy

Audioholic
1. Music is my main interest. HT comes second. I don’t use anything too specific, just what I care to listen to at the time (Music can be everything from the Cowboy Junkies to Jack Johnson to Crystal Method, Movies LOTR and Incredibles).

2. How does the sub blend with my other equipment….I have electrostatics so it must be able to keep up.

3. Earth shaking output is not my thing. It needs to sound good.

Now please give a 10% off coupon so I can finally buy one :)

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
For evaluating a sub, I'd prefer to be able to listen to it with my own speakers, through a loaner program, or with a money-back guarantee. The most important thing is that the sub's sound doesn't stand out in a way you notice there is a distinct sub. I want the midrange/highs to work together with the sub perfectly, so there is a perfect crossover and match. It should be low distortion, but I only listen at reasonable volumes, so it doesn't have to shake the room. I always listen to at least one audio CD ad one DVD release that I personally own and have listened to several times. I usually pick some Jazz like Four Play and a movie like the Fifth Element.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
This may not get me a ticket, but here it is:

The movies used are widely known; most are listed on your site and in your product literature.

My source for bass 'test' selections is sub reviews on the internet. You have many on your site and lit., Hsu has a long list in their forum.

The standard has not changed: Classical instruments in live performance.
I don't know how often live orchestral / jazz or chamber music is performed in the Youngstown area but every chance you get, 'calibrate' your ears. Heck, buy, borrow, or rent a standup bass and some large kettle drums and bring them into your studio.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I evaluate it first for how it sounds with music. I often use a Tool CD when doing so, as they have a very heavy bass sound that must sound clean and tight for me.

I also like to see how the sub provides slam for movies and Incredibles is a good DVD to use for this evaluation.

B

bower

Audiophyte
I'm looking for low and clean, to be able to feel it not just hear it. I think the depth charge scenes in U571 is a pretty good indicator of how good a sub is.

-Dave

R

RPM2

Audiophyte
Contest question: When you evaluate the performance of a sub, what do you evaluate and what material do you use to do so. For example, some might be interested in a sub’s extension (how low it can go), for this they might use the Darla Tap scene from Finding Nemo.

I look for sound quality/accuracy; if it has a good sound then I look for how well it can handle high sound pressure levels. I like to feel the bass so it has to have snap and control. Low distortion is a must. Look for how well the sub mixes with the other speakers.

I mostly use HT so I like to listen to DVDs of Master and Commander, Star Wars (any), LOTR, and a little Monsters Inc.

I like the Eagles for 5.1 stereo and have many other 5.1 disks I like listening to.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I'd say that the sub has to have a good punch to it. I don't like a weak bass sound. Of course, I don't want it to be too punchy, so it's making a big chuffing sound out of the ports. Maybe, a musical punch? Know what I mean? Anyway, I really do like it to be able to hit 20hz, too. A little below 20 is fine, if I can get away with it for a good price.

I like to show off my current sub with the new version of "War of the Worlds". The scene where the alien ships emerge from the ground has some incredible low sound and plenty of subsonic sound, as well!

Thanks for the contest!

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
First thing I do is hook it up to my SMS-1 and adjust the various settings (phase, FR, etc) to get as flat a response as possible in my room, and make sure that the sub "dissappears" into the room even though it sits right next to the main seat. Once the sub is set up correctly the fun starts.

I have a DTS 5.1 demo disc I love to use with clips from Saving Private Ryan (love the feel of those tanks rolling in), Hotel California by the Eagles, Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, and some others. I also love to use the scene from LOTR FOTR where Pippin (or whomever) drops the skeleton down the well, some torturous bass starts there! Then off to WOTW and Matrix Revolutions for some more fun!

There are many more (Darla tap, U571, Starwars AOTC, etc) ...

As to what I evaluate, with HT really it's how loud and how low it will go, cleanly (i.e., without chuffing noises or clipping), and whether it gives you that nice "punch" to the chest when it should and cause the room to rumble when required. With music, I prefer tight and fast subs, so that the bass doesn't "hang around" longer than it shouldn't, and the ability to reproduce notes as naturally as possible without sounding boomy.

PBC!

P

Puppetz

Audioholic Intern
Call me old fashioned, but I evaluate how hard the sound waves hit me in my gut and tickle my spine. I look for clean sound at high volume levels (distortion is the enemy). I use both music (CDs) and movies (DVDs) to judge how well a sub does this:

Music- I like rock, and the opening to Metallica's "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" from the ...And Justice for All album has some killer bass that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand at attention. Also, anything from Korn has great bass.

Movies- The Incredibles has several great scenes for feeling bass. It's one of my favorites because my son gets happy when I play it (because he likes the movie) and I get happy when I play it (because I like the bass). It's a win-win.

S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
I like to listen for big sound and smooth response. No boominess. I like to listen to hard rock music to evaluate a sub.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I don't have a sub yet. I will get 2 tall pci plus cylinders if I win the 10% off. The two will get a large variety of TV, movies and music to evaluate them for hours every day.;)

G

gromitXT

Audiophyte
Extension and SPL definitely catch my eye... they're probably what I would look at first before I got serious about considering any particular sub.

As far as testing, I guess it's most important to use what you know. With that in mind, I'd probably want to listen to key parts of the lord of the rings (esp. the intro to the fellowship of the rings and that first battle scene), tombstone (THUNDERING horses), and probably something from Pixar... the Darla Tap seems like a good one for effect. I'd definitely want to test for music performance too... Soul Coughing are/were one of my favorite bands. Their drummer plays very sharply - you should be able to FEEL those hits - and the stand-up bass should really resonate.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis