Enter to Win: 10% off SVS Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
SV Sound wants your opinion!

SV Sound is offering five (5) 10% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (October 31st, 2006) to eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this contest thread.

Contest question: When you evaluate the performance of a sub, what do you evaluate and what material do you use to do so. For example, some might be interested in a sub’s extension (how low it can go), for this they might use the Darla Tap scene from Finding Nemo.

Note this contest ends on October 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GaminGeer

Audiophyte
For music, I like to see how the sub blends in with the rest of the system and how responsive it is. I don't use any fancy test CD's for this, just the stuff I plan on listening to on a regular basis. For movies, I just pick a few off the shelf with some good bass scenes (Finding Nemo, Polar Express) and see how the movie both sounds and 'feels'.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Contest question: When you evaluate the performance of a sub, what do you evaluate and what material do you use to do so. For example, some might be interested in a sub’s extension (how low it can go), for this they might use the Darla Tap scene from Finding Nemo.

1. low end performance
2. how it blends with my system
3. bang for the buck

Ive got a few demo discs I would use to evaluate the performance, also I like the incredibles DVD

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sub Evaluation

I don't have any specific evaluation material. When I first get a sub home, I like to check out just how low and loud it can go. After all, I just put down a good deal of coin on something that's sole purpose is to play low, so I like to check out how well it can thump. I generally play some DVDs from a list that I found on the internet (from SVS, I believe). After I get that out of my system, I'm more interested in how well the sub blends in with my other speakers and how it works in my room. So, I'll set it up to get the volume and cross-over correct. I'll play some of my favorite music to check out how all of the speakers work together, along with watching some more scenes from DVDs.

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
When I get it home and properly setup, I run through a bunch of music checking mostly for how well it integrates with my main speakers, but also making sure it provides enough tactile sensation for movies, without bottoming out. Oh and I ask my wife if she is OK with it's palcement. As far as specific material, I just grab whatever the latest current DVD that is known for having good LFE. Music, usually tends to be Eagles, etc.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief

I use sound tests (blues music, select HT tracks like Revenge of the Sith). Not so interested in extension as overall sonic clarity.

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic

Being a somewhat newbie - I look to the experts for advice on technical aspects. If I read reviews that compare SVS products to better subs then I can afford at local electronic stroes - it is for me. I also know what sounds good to me. When I order my PB12-NSD the first things I will listen to are Prodigy's "Breathe", Carl Orf's "Carmen" and Alice in Chains "Would". As far as movies - any StarWars will do.

Thank you

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My current subwoofers are inadequate for my room size (open floor plan with vaulted ceilings) 8000 cubic feet. I look for a subwoofer that moves a lot of air with deep extension. The PB12+2 looks like a bang for buck winner to me but the size is hard to sell to the wife and kids. Also kids study all the time so I don't get to use the home theater/music system much to justify the purchase. I still want something better though. I have been looking through the internet and I look for good reviews and word of mouth through the internet forums.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I primarily look at extension, distortion, and SPL. It needs to be able to cleanly execute at SPL peaks demanded by movies, and I want to be able to hit as low as possible doing so.

I use Kodo - Ibuki, The Incredibles (Jack Jack Attack), Black Hawk Down, and a few others which I can't remember off the top of my head now.

Loner

Loner

Audioholic Intern

1) Clean on music and HT
2) Good SPL - quality is better than quantity
3) Low distortion

I use material I know - quality recordings - music and HT

T

Tod

Audioholic
Hm. Lowness in general. Some particular favorites are the T rex track from The Great Fantasy Adventure Album by Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops (as well as many of the music tracks from that CD), some of my other favorite classical albums, a good quality pipe organ track (too many favorites to list - pipe organs rule!), and to see just how it rocks the house, the last track off the Swedish folk-fusion-rave band Hedningarna's album Hippjok.

The ability to cave my skull in is nice, but those subsonic frequencies are vital and since I'm mostly a classical person, quick clear response is pretty important.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub eval

To test I new sub I would start with an SPL meter and test tones to integrate it properly with the other speakers. Next I would demo some music and DVD scenes with plenty of LFE.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
To test a sub I would use the Irene scene in Black Hawk down. Then I would play some hip hop and then jazz tracks to see how the sub performs compared to dual 8" power subs. The 8" subs I own are very fast and pretty accurate at frequencies between 40 and 100hz.

J

JohnM

Audiophyte
I listen to alot of music and have a more critical ear for that. I use CDs that I am familiar with. Particularly jazz cds with acoustic bass and other well recorded cds (Lyle Lovett).

For movies, one scene I have used is the launch in Apollo 13. Not the sound of the rocket but the background music. There is a particular note that some subs can produce and others cannot. My current sub cannot. I demo'd a Paradigm Servo 15 and heard the note loud and clear. It really adds to the overall mood of the scene.

S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
Not being "technically savvy" as other audiophiles, I just listen for the "boominess" of a sub, or the lack-thereof. The sounds should be clean, it should rumble in your chest, and it shouldn't shake the entire room. I've only tested with music that I listen to, alternative rock and hard rock.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I just like to listen to a variety of music and movies that I will actually use it with.

Steve

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I run test tones to see how far extension goes and various songs that I love the bass on:

Goldfrapps' Strict Machine
Gorillaz Dare
many others...

I would then watch a couple explosions on movies to make sure I didnt set the level too hot.

O

O'Mo

Audiophyte
Sub Par

Listening to a new sub, the first thing I note is that rumbly indistinct sound where music should be. More than anything I demand my sub to be accurate and f a s t. Extra low extension is good (T-rex footsteps in Jurassic park, Star Wars I pod race) and I love the "hit in the chest" THUMP of just about any "shoot em up" movie (Matrix 1,2&3, Terminators etc). Most half decent subs I've heard can do a resonable job here. What I want is a sub that can keep up to demanding music tracks, such as (off the top of my head) "Hung Up" and "Sorry" (Madonna), "Hotel California" (Eagles), "Jam" and "Who is it" (Michael Jackson), "Finlandia", (Jean Sibelius), "Ave Maria" (Giulio Caccini), "Pianio Concerto in A minor" (Edvard Greig). I know these tracks fairly well, and know if they are being done justice by the system playing them.

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern

Being very easy to please, I would use these 3 criteria.

1. Reviews of the particular sub I'm interested in.
2. How low can it go in Hz
3. Would test it out with some War of the Worlds scenes and other bass filled movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis