Enter to Win: 10% off SVS Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiwishred

Audiophyte
Seemed to be stuck in "Awaiting Registration Conf" limbo. So I created new post (#43) below

Brent

Last edited:
K

kryolla

Enthusiast
I look for the low freq response, if it has a par eq, and overall how it blends with the rest of my system. To test I have a DTS demo disk. Thanks Drew

K

kiwishred

Audiophyte
My second attempt at entering this drawing

Well, I can't seem to register as kiwishred, so in order to qualify for the drawing I have cloned myself and repeated my previous post (#41 above) word for word, smilie for smilie. If this works I will delete previous post so I can't be accused of double entry. Can you tell I would really like to get one of these coupons ?

Quite frankly, I do not know of a practical way to meaningfully evaluate or compare sub performance. It is very difficult to do in dealer's show rooms because I don't know how they are set up, what levels I am listening at, etc. and, in any case, different show rooms and calibrations will likely be different. It is very difficult to do in my home, because (a) how do I get a sub, or better yet a "flotilla" of subs, to evaluate and (b) the acoustics in my HT room currently suck (as evidenced by 15 dB variations in Avia sweeps) and would probably swamp any differences in sub performance. Actually, I guess I could take advantage of return policies from companies like SVS but, if I could afford to eat the shipping costs then I wouldn't be entering into drawings such as this. :D I see return policies as more of an insurance against something being grossly wrong as opposed to means to to evaluate products.

So, basically what I have been doing to evaluate sub performance is to read a lot of reviews from the net (both professional and end-user) as well as ask friends what they think of what they have.

After a purchase I would pop in some familiar CD tracks (eg: Tracy Chapman, Police, Yello) and listen for clarity of bass (extension and clarity of notes) plus the well known DVD scenes (Landing scene in Star Wars ATOC, shock wave in Pirates of Caribean, etc). Also, obviously Avia sweeps.

Then I would forget about it and enjoy listening to it. :)

Well, this is off the top of my head. I will submit this and now go read the other responses to see if my one is totally off the wall.

Brent

M

mdy

Enthusiast
It is important how seamlessly the sub integrates with my main speakers. I use a combination of my favorite concert and movie DVD's to evaluate a sub.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I love H/T and LFE but for me the sub must be very musical. Watching movies for me at times is a challenge. As for music I can listen at any time and not be in the same room. The music I listen to ranges from A-Z, rock,classical reggae etc and can be found in my cd player at the same time. So, for this reason I'd like a fast hard hitting muscial sub and the sb 12 plus is just that. Lastly its non obtrusive nature and small footprint make this the perfect sub and if I win it would speed up the ordering process :D .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis