Energy Speakers - Made in China now?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You know this how?
I don't call using lead based paint showing any pride, or painting Ti drivers to look like, and sell as, Be drivers. And they have already been caught doing that.
I know a guy, that works for IBM, who's job is to recommend to companies where the best location would be for their factories, considering their type of products.
He told me that the companies, who have moved to China, will have a higher quality peoduct, if they do in-house QC. If they don't do their QC until after its been shipped over here, the quality is way low.

Anthem, for one, still makes their products in NA, B&K were, not sure if they still are. And most of Lexicon's gear is still made here. The new low end MV-5 must be made elsewhere, as there is no markings on the back "made in USA" and has been described as a re-badged HK receiver, which are made in China.
Uh oh, you mentioned Lexicon and H/K in the same sentence in regards to the same product, a storm's a brewin.

*looks on with a suspect look about his face*

I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those, "all gear is the same" threads.:D

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Before you all go shooting off your mouths, I hope you guys realize the difference between outsourcing manufacturing and outsourcing assembly work. A lot of goods are manufactured in China because they are indeed cheaper to make there. However, a lot of those goods will then also be exported for assembly, be it in the U.S. or elsewhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with manufacturing in China as global trade is a good thing. However we do need to correct the trade imbalance with China.
Yes, there is a difference between "made in USA" and "assembled in USA".
But any product, be it speakers, amps, cars, are only as good as the components. That's the engineering, component parts, production, QC. If any of those are second rate, then the finished product is second rate.

When I custom built a pair of JBL L212s, which is a 30 year old design, I used thicker front/back panels on the boxes. Bought higher quality cross over components, and used a high end crossover design, one that wasn't available 30 years ago.
The result is a pair of speakers which are much better than the originals, and they were already quite good, themselves.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Uh oh, you mentioned Lexicon and H/K in the same sentence in regards to the same product, a storm's a brewin.

*looks on with a suspect look about his face*

I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those, "all gear is the same" threads.:D
I wasn't comparing Lexicon to HK, across their entire line. Only the new Lexicon MV-5. When I looked at the back panel, in a close up, there was no markings as to where it was made/assembled, as would be other Lexicon products, which is always "in USA"
At a later time I read, on a couple of other forums, that the MV-5 was a rebadge HK AVR 745. And all HK gear is now made in China.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You know this how?
Because I own Asian products, and I work for a huge American company.
I don't call using lead based paint showing any pride, or painting Ti drivers to look like, and sell as, Be drivers. And they have already been caught doing that.
I have a very close member in the family who works for the Health Department in the lead division. This person is in charge of lead poisoning for a whole state. Let me tell you, while the media shouts about another countries issue with lead, they never contact this individual to find out about this countries issues. One thing I can tell you. Keep your car keys out of your kids mouth.;) If I told you anything else, I would have to kill you.:cool:

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Audiosouse, I believe you wanted to say "No Energy Speakers For Me" and tried to find a Chinese translation for "Speakers". I can tell you this:

The Chinese characters that you came up with in your post title actually means "spokesperson". In Chinese, speaker or loudspeaker is 揚聲器

Just want to make sure that Energy knows what you are protesting ;)
Damn those free online translators!

I didn't think to input loudspeaker. That's an odd term...loudspeaker. As opposed to quietspeaker? Isn't the point of a speaker to boost the input signal, hence be loud...

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
...One thing I can tell you. Keep your car keys out of your kids mouth.;) If I told you anything else, I would have to kill you.:cool:
It doesn't matter where car keys are made, if you let your kids eat them it's probably dangerous. :D

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Because I own Asian products, and I work for a huge American company.

I have a very close member in the family who works for the Health Department in the lead division. This person is in charge of lead poisoning for a whole state. Let me tell you, while the media shouts about another countries issue with lead, they never contact this individual to find out about this countries issues. One thing I can tell you. Keep your car keys out of your kids mouth.;) If I told you anything else, I would have to kill you.:cool:
Two sides of the same coin. I've worked with products from China that were garbage. And yes there is a LOT of things that the FDA, FTC, etc aren't telling the American public. Mostly, about the general food supply in this country, and I don't mean imported food either. There is a reason US beef is not exported to Europe.
But back on topic, as I said in an earlier post, every part of the production of a product, from engineering, down, as to be top notch to get a top notch product, no matter where it comes from.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Interesting the topic of lead poisoning is being brought up.

I worked at a city lead poisoning prevention unit many moons ago. Many old houses in inner cities have lead paint in them. Kids eat those paint chips, and get lead poisoning. Old water pipes also contain lead in them. I don't know about those big pipes, but if you live in an old house, chances are the water pipes in your house contain lead. That's the reason why you are not supposed to drink the hot water from your faucet. Hot water can dissolve higher amounts of lead than cold water. Only drink cold tap water.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I just heard on the news that Sam's club and Costco are limiting the number of bags of rice you can buy. Good lord, I never thought that rice would become a scarce commodity here in the U.S.

What is the world coming to...

The way this economy is going, a lot of us will be in the not so distant future.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I just heard on the news that Sam's club and Costco are limiting the number of bags of rice you can buy. Good lord, I never thought that rice would become a scarce commodity here in the U.S.

What is the world coming to...
Food is just the tip of what is about to happen. Truckers are not making much money because of the cost of diesel. You think gas is bad, diesel cost more than premium. Many truckers are going to shut down. Their plan is to force the fuel prices down. The down side. No trucks, no anything. Everything you use in your life was delivered by a truck at some point or another. Just imagine.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Yeah, with gas prices the way it is, time must be really tough for truckers.

Crude oil just reached a record of $120 a barrel. That's a quadrupling of prices in the last 5 years.

Haiti and some countries in Africa are already having riots over high food prices.

I don't know how we are going to climb out of this hole anytime soon.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I was just talking about this to someone today. The first people that will comletely reject fuel prices are the ones that get the rest of the country their supplies. Does the government not realize they are crippling the country? This will go beyond affecting your average citizens, this will eventually hit home with the big wigs in Washington but will it be too late?

H

Halvie

Junior Audioholic
Is isn't just "above" premium either. By me (WI) diesel was $4.29 today while premium was $3.94. Don't know what to say about it besides they need to do something. I spend over $120 on gas just going back and fourth from school this week. Hopefully some time soon these idiots will realize that ethanol isn't the answer either and is just making things worse.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Boing Boing Boing...

..is the sound of my Chinariffic Shox.

SheepStar

H

h317

Audioholic Intern
Damn those free online translators!
Don't feel bad, Audiosouse. This website :eek: has a lot of examples of bad and halirious translations from English to Chinese by some Chinese officials and businesses. The Chinese Government is trying to clean up a lot of these embarrassing signs before the Olympics.

A little bit off topic, sorry ;)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
It's all President Reagan's fault!

Interesting the topic of lead poisoning is being brought up.

I worked at a city lead poisoning prevention unit many moons ago. Many old houses in inner cities have lead paint in them. Kids eat those paint chips, and get lead poisoning. Old water pipes also contain lead in them. I don't know about those big pipes, but if you live in an old house, chances are the water pipes in your house contain lead. That's the reason why you are not supposed to drink the hot water from your faucet. Hot water can dissolve higher amounts of lead than cold water. Only drink cold tap water.
I don't understand how it's possible that any house still has lead paint in it. They stopped manufacturing paint with lead something like 35 or 40 years ago. Surely they've repainted these homes at least once in that time.

And why do parents let their kids eat that stuff anyway?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Most people are lazy, they only put fresh layers of paint OVER the old paint. When the paint chips, the old lead paint chips along with the newer lead free paint. When the kids eat the paint chips, the lead is still there.

Lead tastes sweet. Little kids will put anything in their mouth, especially something that tastes sweet. You can't keep watch over your kids 27/7.

To completely remove the old layers of paint, that is called abatement. It's expensive, and not many people want to put up with the hassle and the cost.

K

kjoy064

Audiophyte
hey if anyone knows someone willing to sell a pair of black CR-1's and post to australai please send me a PM

Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis