Energy C9 vs Axiom M80ti

T

twinillo

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>need to buy a pair of towers, it's between Energy's C9 or Axiom M80ti's, main use is music, running a Harman Pa2400 amplifier (170watts/channel) room size is 15x18.
Need to get some input, to make a choice,
thanks,</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Before I lucked into my used Thiel's, I was very seriously looking at the Axioms.  You realize that the M80 is a 4 ohm speaker, be sure that your amp can drive them.  The M60 sounds identical, just won't go quite as loud (I think that the 80's are tested with 1200 watts/channel) &nbsp;and seems to be reccommended for your size room.  I got a pair of the M2i's just to see and was extremely impressed with the build quality and sound- they are amazing good speakers.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Never heard the Axioms but I did extensively audition the C9 about a year ago. &nbsp; I was really impressed and it was the runner up to my final decision.

If music is your main use, you may want take some time and audition some other speakers. &nbsp; The C9 is very good at music and very good at HT. &nbsp;There are however, other speakers in this price range that may do music better. &nbsp;I have always been very impressed with the Vandersteen 2CE and Dynaudio. &nbsp;The Vandersteen is a &quot;music&quot; speaker and is very detailed and throws a huge soundstage. &nbsp;Of course, you may hear things different. &nbsp;I guess what I am trying to say is, take your time and listen to a bunch of speakers. &nbsp;There are speakers that do HT very well but not music and there are some that do just the opposite. &nbsp;And, there are some that do both. &nbsp; Before making a decision, I would recc. that you at least listen to B&amp;W, Boston Acoustic, Vandersteen, Dynaudio, Kef, Paradigm and some others. &nbsp; Again, the Energy speakers are great speakers and I hear Axiom is very good as well but there are many others our there that are worse, better and just as good. &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

T

twinillo

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Other issues that I'm considering is price around $ 1100.00 +/- $200.00. and the fact that i can only place the speakers about 12 inches away from the back wall, I appreciate your data,
thanks,</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I've got a pr of Boston V950's being driven by a Yamaha 3300(130wpc) &amp; I would not recommend them.Granted,these are not Bostons' top of the line but they are O.K. at best. My mistake was buying towers with such small bass drivers(I think they're 5 1/4 inches each).
&nbsp;They sound overdriven at -14 db.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>check http://forums.audioreview.com/ in SPEAKERS and look at my post &quot;How would you rate these floorstanders? here is my audition list&quot;, I just finished auditioning towers $600-1200 so read the entire thread. I found that speakers over $1k sounded better than others, and I was particularly impressed with Dynaudio Audience 62 ($1125), Vienna Acoustics Bach (on clearance @ tweeter $1050) &amp; Totem Staff ($1250). I highly recommend these for audition in that price range.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>BTW, dynaudio audience 62 is front ported so it can go right back to the wall, it also has the most bass of the 3. Also go out and audition if possible and be careful of online speaker vendors even though the price is attractive.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
zipper : <font color='#000000'>I've got a pr of Boston V950's being driven by a Yamaha 3300(130wpc) &amp; I would not recommend them.Granted,these are not Bostons' top of the line but they are O.K. at best. My mistake was buying towers with such small bass drivers(I think they're 5 1/4 inches each).
 They sound overdriven at -14 db.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hey Zipper,

Those 950's are actually very good speakers when set up right. Your right in that they are weak in the bass department but these speakers should be used as &quot;bookshelf&quot; &nbsp;speakers in terms of set up. &nbsp;They need a good sub. &nbsp; Whoever sold them to you should have explained this. &nbsp; I own VR-965's but I can assure you that when used with a decent sub, 950's are hard to beat for their price. &nbsp; I really liked their sound but I did not have room for a seperate sub. &nbsp;That's why I went with the VR-965's. &nbsp;

Do you use a sub? &nbsp;If not, try it out. &nbsp;I bet you will have a whole new outlook on your speakers.

Shinerman</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
EdR : <font color='#000000'>(I think that the 80's are tested with 1200 watts/channel)</font>
<font color='#000000'>You meant 120 right? &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Shinerman

&nbsp;Yes, I do have a sub &amp; have tried every setup imaginable. Don't get me wrong,I think these are decent speakers(especially for $400/pr). They just aren't in the same league as other speakers mentioned here. They are good up to about 1/2 volume &amp; then the sound starts to deteriorate. But that could just be the combination I have.But I agree. They sound their best(at louder volumes)when driven as &quot;small&quot; &amp; subbed.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
hopjohn : <font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (EdR @ Mar. 05 2004,1:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I think that the 80's are tested with 1200 watts/channel)
You meant 120 right?  
</font></td></tr></table>
<font color='#000000'>Nope
</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
EdR : <font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (hopjohn @ Mar. 14 2004,6:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (EdR @ Mar. 05 2004,1:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I think that the 80's are tested with 1200 watts/channel)
You meant 120 right?  
</td></tr></table>
Nope
</font></td></tr></table>
<font color='#000000'>I contacted Axiom. &nbsp;Not only to they test at 1,200 (no misprint) watts, though they warn against clipping, and I suspect they don't truly reccommend this- they also used 8 of them in a live rock performance at 600 watts each with excellent results. &nbsp;

In home use, I think you could drive them with anything you want without worry. &nbsp;
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis