GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
They are genuine rbh signature series 41-SE/B speakers. They come in a white box with blue rbh logo. The packing slip says 41-SE/B and the Owner's Manual says rbh Signature Series
There are some slight differences from the RBH units you're referring to. The RBH use aluminum cones and off-the-shelf scandinavian tweeters. The EMP tweeters i believe are custom asian tweeters designed with the same parameters, and the woofers use the same motors but a Beryllium cone, though I'm not sure what percent is actually beryllium.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I got mine today. They appear to be the same drivers and fundamentally the same design as my first pair (which were bough soon after they were introduced and reviewed by Gene). Here are the differences.
1) The old ones are labeled "EMP 41-SE/B" on the back while the new ones say "EMP E41-B".
2) The new ones come with a port plug, the old ones did not. (I would appreciate any comments on this). I'm guessing with sub you would plug the port, but have a hard time believing these speakers could tighten up much more!
3) On the old ones, next to the phase plugs was a amber/resin looking ring, the new ones seem to use an injection molded ring made of black plastic. The new ones have a bit more finished look FWIW. I have no idea how performance might be affected.
4) The old grill did not fully cover the front panel- it was a strange irregular pentagon shaped grill. I never cared for it. I will keep the grills off so the only difference is the top two grill mounts are located at the top corners instead of between the woofer and tweet.

For a while these speakers were being made in a curved cabinet (kind of like the EMP Impression series, if memory serves), I liked the look of the original cabinet better and am happy to see they returned to it!

You can see pictures of the originals here.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/lifestyle-desktop-and-portable/emp-tek-vt-40.2/emp-vt-40.2-overview

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
3) On the old ones, next to the phase plugs was a amber/resin looking ring, the new ones seem to use an injection molded ring made of black plastic. The new ones have a bit more finished look FWIW. I have no idea how performance might be affected.
I always wondered what that ring was that you see on some speakers. As shallow as it seems, I would never purchase speakers that had it. It looks unfinished and cheap.

I'm really trying to not purchase a pair of these. I have a set of ER18 bookshelves in production for me somewhere, but these are so tempting, especially without the yellow ring! My GF would kill me if I bought another pair of speakers though :eek:

KEW, any chance you could take a pic of the new ones?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I got mine today. They appear to be the same drivers and fundamentally the same design as my first pair (which were bough soon after they were introduced and reviewed by Gene). Here are the differences.
1) The old ones are labeled "EMP 41-SE/B" on the back while the new ones say "EMP E41-B".
2) The new ones come with a port plug, the old ones did not. (I would appreciate any comments on this). I'm guessing with sub you would plug the port, but have a hard time believing these speakers could tighten up much more!
4) The old grill did not fully cover the front panel- it was a strange irregular pentagon shaped grill. I never cared for it. I will keep the grills off so the only difference is the top two grill mounts are located at the top corners instead of between the woofer and tweet.

For a while these speakers were being made in a curved cabinet (kind of like the EMP Impression series, if memory serves), I liked the look of the original cabinet better and am happy to see they returned to it!

You can see pictures of the originals here.
EMP VT-40.2 & 41-SE/B Design Overview — Reviews and News from Audioholics
I asked RBH to start shipping these with port plugs since most people use them on a desktop close to a back wall. The black ring near the phase plug is an improvement to reduce turbulence from the air gap of the phase plug. RBH's $50k/pair Status 8T's also do this with their Beryllium phase plug drivers.

The boxy cabinet is from the RBH Signature line. They are likely selling these speakers at such a low price to deplete there inventory of the standard black finish since going forward Signature product will only be offered in premium finishes. If a customer wants black they can get into the SX line which is less expensive and has a more contoured shape.

IMO, at $210/pair you can't find a better bookshelf speaker than these. Hope this helps.

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
When I saw Sony, I was reflexively going to suggest you find another amp if you plan to crank them, but then I caught the 35 years old bit. If it is still performing you should be fine.
I'm the original owner of that amp so I know it has been well taken care of over the years. I was 26 years old and stationed at Hickam AFB, Hi when I got it. I purchased these speakers just to resurrect my old HiFi system. I've got a Phase Linear 4000 preamp, Kenwood KT8005 tuner and a Thorens 124 turntable with SME 3009 tonearm that I'm bringing back to life. They're all 35 years old.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I just ordered a pair for my office desk. I'll be running them with an Emotiva Mini x 100 and my trusty old Adcom GCD-750. Can't wait!!!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm the original owner of that amp so I know it has been well taken care of over the years. I was 26 years old and stationed at Hickam AFB, Hi when I got it. I purchased these speakers just to resurrect my old HiFi system. I've got a Phase Linear 4000 preamp, Kenwood KT8005 tuner and a Thorens 124 turntable with SME 3009 tonearm that I'm bringing back to life. They're all 35 years old.
Sweet stuff!
Here is my "blast from the past" (damn new camera is bending everything!)!

As sad as Sony has become for quality audio I'm not sure any company fell so fast and far as Sansui!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always wondered what that ring was that you see on some speakers. As shallow as it seems, I would never purchase speakers that had it. It looks unfinished and cheap.

I'm really trying to not purchase a pair of these. I have a set of ER18 bookshelves in production for me somewhere, but these are so tempting, especially without the yellow ring! My GF would kill me if I bought another pair of speakers though :eek:

KEW, any chance you could take a pic of the new ones?

In the second photo, it looks like the amber ring may still be there, just covered by the black piece! I can say that I looked pretty close when I was checking to see if this was Santoprene or a hard plastic (it is hard) and did not see the brown being reflected off of the phase plug.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
You guys don't like the amber ring?

Personally I like the amber rings on my T2's... Look past the horrible camera phone quality picture and you can see the amber ring on each of the four midranges...

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
You guys don't like the amber ring?

Personally I like the amber rings on my T2's... Look past the horrible camera phone quality picture and you can see the amber ring on each of the four midranges...
Well I suppose if I had speakers that awesome I wouldn't really care :D

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Well I suppose if I had speakers that awesome I wouldn't really care :D
To think that THIS is where I was a couple years ago. I could tell the improvements here and there as I kept upgrading and upgrading but I really never got an idea of how much better the stuff I have, all set up, sounds in comparison to what I started with. I really would like to just switch back and forth between the RBH/KEF/Rythmik setup I got now and the Sony/Bic/Yamaha/Dayton setup I used to have, just for kicks :D. Anyway, now I'm on an internship for the summer working for SC Johnson and I'm in this tiny little apartment running just the EMP E5's and it's amazing how small they sound compared to what I was spoiled with.

To not derail the thread anymore than I have, I ordered a set of these E41-B's to compliment my laptop or office for the next month or so. Then I have to go back to school and get my dang degree. It's been a long 4 years :mad:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To think that THIS is where I was a couple years ago.:
I see you have the Mirage OMD-5's. I use mine for surrounds, but that is my only experience for a HT setup. It seems like the omnidirectional dispersion would work well for surround effects. Do/did you use them for surrounds? If so, are they good at it or not?

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
I see you have the Mirage OMD-5's. I use mine for surrounds, but that is my only experience for a HT setup. It seems like the omnidirectional dispersion would work well for surround effects. Do/did you use them for surrounds? If so, are they good at it or not?
What would be a nice little subwoofer to mate up with these beauties? Not looking for theater sound, just want to add a little bass oomph. I like the look of the Yamaha Flat YSTFSW100. Its small size would make it unobtrusive in my small office area. Anyone ever used the Yamaha, or have a recommendation?

Attachments

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What would be a nice little subwoofer to mate up with these beauties? Not looking for theater sound, just want to add a little bass oomph. I like the look of the Yamaha Flat YSTFSW100. Its small size would make it unobtrusive in my small office area. Anyone ever used the Yamaha, or have a recommendation?
I use the Velodyne Mini-Vee. Excellent,compact and blends great.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic

I had them set up as front highs for a while, but with most of my tv watching and music listening, everything was running in all channel stereo... I eventually just moved them to my kitchen and ran them as zone two speakers. Since then I sold them. I kinda wish I hadn't, I loved the look of those things and I also didn't mind the sound by any means either... :(

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't try it. If you've listened to your new speakers, you know what bass they produce is significant and defined.
Go to the site I linked below and look at the slide show to see the back panel, Then read the last paragraph of the review.
Aside from the volume and on/off button on top, I don't think there is a crossover or any other normal controls on this sub and I'd be worried the fixed roll-off that mates well with the Yamaha sound bar would overlap the E41-B woofers. Also, since this sub is specifically designed for HT (more emphasis on low extension), I doubt it is ideal for music.

Yamaha YST-FSW100 Overview & Specs - Subwoofers - CNET Reviews

Gene's solution is likely the highest quality solution in a compact sub. I think he has the mini-8 which runs around $700.
I would offer the Mirage MM-8 for $250 as a value option.
World Wide Stereo - Mirage MM-8 Mini High-Performance Subwoofer (Black)
It is a 9" cube and I have one paired with the E41-B's in my bedroom. You will be amazed at the heft and build quality of this little sub, but most important, it is very musical!
You can get it through from World Wide Stereo through buy.com for $250

Strangely if you go direct with WW Stereo, it'll cost you!!!
Mirage MM-8 Compact Powered Subwoofer - High Gloss Black at World Wide Stereo

In case WWS pulls the plug on the buy.com pricing, you can get the same sub from Amazon relabeled as the Energy ESW-8 (Energy and Mirage have strong ties) for $300. Ignore the dimensions listed on Amazon's site, you can go to the Energy website to verify this is the same 9" cube.
Mirage MM-8 Compact Powered Subwoofer - High Gloss Black at World Wide Stereo

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can someone answer this poor guys question?:(
As accurate speakers, they are good for about every thing. If you read Gene's review, you saw his comments on using them in his large listening room. These are not especially efficient speakers, so doffing the bass to a sub will help out a low powered receiver. In a really big room, I'm sure they have their SPL limits, but I haven't found it (as long as I use a powerful amp).
What are you looking for in HT speakers that is different from music?
They will not fill a room with the same character as large full-range speakers, but I love the imaging and lack of coloration characteristic of a good small speaker.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Still available at 209.00: EMP Tek E41-B Bookshelf Speaker (2012 Summer Sales Event)
These good for home theater/music? Oh Oh.
They use a 4" midrange and as far as I know don't have any baffle step compensation. In a smaller room, near walls or other boundaries where they can boost in the lower midrange, they sound great. I haven't tried them elsewhere, but I suspect they may sound thin in a larger room, further away from boundaries. Beyond that there's only so far you can push the 4" mid, even with a 100hz crossover.

So whether they're right for your application depends on what you're expecting.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Get a Rythmik F12 with "A370PEQ with HPF outputs" amplifier for $787.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis