Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5 Gen2 Amplifier Preview

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
The second generations seem a little underwhelming. Same transformer size, same cap values, same LED display. Yet they call it "All new inside and out". Will the new sound any better than the old?

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
They upgraded the flimsy RCA connectors that were on the original. They are now bolted to the back panel instead of just coming through a hole and relying on a soldered connection to a board.
I am using XLR to RCA cables anyway on my Gen I XPA-5, as I put a little pressure on one by accident and it bent. So I decided to not even mess with them. Emo sent me a replacement connector, I just could not see that it was worth the effort to solder on another cheap connector the same way. Some have done their own upgrade using insulated RCA panel mount connectors and 2 short wires to the board.
Overall, I expect the new gen to be mostly about refinements. I suspect the AQ advantages would be small at best, as there is little room for improvement (IMO) using the same basic architecture. Not that it needs much improvement, on the contrary.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I seen the new models at the boston emotiva show a handful of weeks back, and spoke to Dan about the changes, I listened to the new one, and there is no difference to my ears, the chassis is more robust and its all black, plus now you ca nmono block the amp with a flip of a switch, thats what I was told and seen with my own eyes... There isn't much you can improve but kudos to emo for changing them for the better even if its just a stronger chassis and mono mode.. I always said to make the xpa2 mono capable and get rid of the xpa1 but they have a new xpa1 coming too...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There isn't much you can improve but kudos to emo for changing them for the better even if its just a stronger chassis
That's a welcoming change if it gets a stronger chassis yet manage to shed 5 lbs from the XPA-5 first gen. I hope that trend continues and shift more weight to more powerful transformer, from other non sound quality related items.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I seen the new models at the boston emotiva show a handful of weeks back, and spoke to Dan about the changes, I listened to the new one, and there is no difference to my ears, the chassis is more robust and its all black, plus now you ca nmono block the amp with a flip of a switch, thats what I was told and seen with my own eyes... There isn't much you can improve but kudos to emo for changing them for the better even if its just a stronger chassis and mono mode.. I always said to make the xpa2 mono capable and get rid of the xpa1 but they have a new xpa1 coming too...
the original XPA2 was bridgeable too. It's not the same as an XPA-1. XPA-2 in bridge mode is 8ohm recommended while the XPA-1 is designed to work with 4ohm loads.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The second generations seem a little underwhelming. Same transformer size, same cap values, same LED display. Yet they call it "All new inside and out". Will the new sound any better than the old?
Better build quality, more power, better cosmetics, lower noisefloor, modest price increase. Not sure what else you were expecting but I'd say those are changes worthy of a Gen2.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
That's a welcoming change if it gets a stronger chassis yet manage to shed 5 lbs from the XPA-5 first gen. I hope that trend continues and shift more weight to more powerful transformer, from other non sound quality related items.
Yeah, I'm with you on the transformer size, etc. It's nice that they made some improvements but it's a stretch to call it "all new inside and out" as they do on their web site. And the wattage ratings at 8 and 4 ohms remain the same, so it appears that there isn't more power.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Feel free to delete.. my bad :)

Last edited:
T

tvrgeek

Enthusiast
Nice advertisement. Amps are about how they, come on wait for it, wait..... amplify. I know some very happy big Emo owners. How does this beast sound compared to the Gen 1? How indestructible? * Give us a hint on the measured power bandwidth? How about a waterfall plot of freq/power and THD? What does it take to make it unstable? ( Maggies, ES, stupid cables etc)

I would love to see some commentary on their "short signal path" i.e. their topology. What are they doing different from a traditional 3 stage amplifier and why is this better for the sound/cost? OK, John and Erno liked full complementary differential input and VAS, but when I model it in Spice, I find more to be gained in paralleling more outputs. What does Emo know and how are they advancing the art? They have a balanced input. Is it really? If so, how well balanced? That is a very tricky proposition as you know. A couple of transistors or op-amps and 1% resistors is worse than single ended.

*(tell me you have never seen some idiot stack several amps in a rack to impress their friends.)

T

tvrgeek

Enthusiast
My 1200's have no handles, but then again, I don't need to carry them around. I would bet a pair ( or two pair) of fancy machined handles cost more than another pair of outputs. I would gladly take the outputs, more caps, hexfred rectifier or other features that improve the sound rather than handles I would use once. I commend Emo for going back to the "black box" packaging. As long as the front plate will actually support the load, I am happy.

B

bang4bucker

Enthusiast
hi,

i just received my xpa-2 gen 2 couple days ago. this will be my first amp and i hope it will be the last one :D
first thing i noticed was it's missing 2 screws and in those 2 holes it wasn't chamfered (is that the right word ?). so if i move other screw to any of those holes, the screw won't sit deep. pretty annoying may i say. but i guess it's the risk of "made in china". you won't get constant quality.

i tried to test it using bookshelf speaker which i think is pretty sensitive. this amp is clean ! i didn't hear any his or hum from my speaker or mechanical hum from my amp. and it sounds good too. i don't have any floorstand speakers to test yet but definitely will buy a pair after moving to new house (definitely need your help making decision when that time come).

so far pretty good but for the sake of curiousity will audioholics make another review (i know they reviewed gen 1 amp) such measurements and listening test for this amp ?

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
What locations are the missing screw holes?

It's disappointing to hear that this kind of quality control issue is happening. It leaves room for other small seeming issues which could cause a large problem. I bought the ERC-1 about 4 years ago and one of the front panel chrome screw holes had threads that were partly stripped at the factory. They applied some sort of metallic goop which started slowly seeping out the front of the unit. After wiping the face a couple of times to have this greasy sheen re-appear I removed the screw and found the source. Weird, to say the least.

I'd phone them directly(do not email) about a replacement, missing screws and improperly threaded holes are not acceptable if it was me.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
What locations are the missing screw holes?
I'd phone them directly(do not email) about a replacement, missing screws and improperly threaded holes are not acceptable if it was me.

Definitely, put the screws to them :p

- Rich

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Yeah, that is not an A stock unit. They should at least offer some emo bucks or partial refund for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis