ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It looks interesting considering its not plagued by all the bugs and issues it's big brother had coming out
That could be a big "considering." :confused:
Seems like the biggest item to get cut is support for Dirac Live. That's disappointing.

Considering the history I've heard for the RMC-1, I'm not going to be rushing out!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But who needs 16 channels unless he uses several zones?
On top of that if Dirac Live is cut out and there are glitches and bugs in this one is it really worth the 3000 your gonna drop on it?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
On top of that if Dirac Live is cut out and there are glitches and bugs in this one is it really worth the 3000 your gonna drop on it?
No. Frankly, the Monolith option from ATI is the path if this is the type of equipment one wants.

J

JStewart

Audioholic Intern
Seems like the biggest item to get cut is support for Dirac Live.
Interesting that there’s no mention of Dirac on the web pages, but on page 8 of the downloadable manual it states the unit is equipped with Dirac.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Isn't the .3 still just one ch, tho?
As I understood it previously, no. The RMC1 was touted as being very flexible with assigning channels. Whether they ever released the upgrade modules or not (one optional module was dedicated for extra subs!), I don't know. Added to Dirac’s bass management capabilities, I can’t imagine they would handcuff it that way, like an internal 3-way or 4-way splitter only being processed as a single channel as some lower end AVRs do.. Could be wrong, of course.
Regardless, this XMC2 seems like Emo’s answer to the ATI-Monolith HTP1, take their existing tech, downscale it by removing the expansion capabilities... (and what else, I wonder?)... and undercut by a grand.
At 3k, it becomes the first, most affordable processor with the level of functionality of so many assignable channels, more so than the flagship products from any of the major companies. Look at the options from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Anthem... you are still more limited in setup options with all of them pretty much than what is described for the ATI-built and EMO processors. (I still can't help but wonder if somebody left Emo for ATI or vice versa, considering the style of the inputs and assignability of the channels is so somilar... or perhaps its a function of Dirac being involved.)
Regardless, exceeding 2 subs on any of the more traditional brand's product requires a mdsp 2x4 hd unit to manage the extra subs properly, as none allow more than two via RCA output. (I use the 2x4 HD as an example, assuming you decide you want better control than just splitting the signal with a Y, or daisy-chaining some... which gives you no control over delay.)

As always, I may of course be misunderstanding something here... I'm only what, 6-8 months into really using the equipment I have... with almost no experience using any other brand. So yes, I'm still learning a lot about the intricacies of all the tech involved with just my Marantz. ;)

More than anything, I think this approach of channel assignability and flexibility is wonderful. I feel somewhat locked into a box with the options Marantz gives. I can't think of a good reason why I can't run 5.2.6 natively, as an example. It can process Front and Rear Height, as well as Top Front and Top Back channels. But you can only choose two of those. The newest Denon Flagship allows 9.2.4 or 7.2.6 in the 13-channel AVR, along with last years Marantz AV8805... but the 7705 (both AVPs) still limits you to .4 Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So they cut Dirac and shaved off $2K (from $5K to $3K) ? :eek:

I thought Dirac doesn't cost that much.

Maybe Monolith can get ATI to have an optional HTP-1B without Dirac and reduce the price from $4K to $2K. :D

And maybe ATI can offer an optional ATP-16B without Dirac and reduce the price from $10K to $6K. :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
But who needs 16 channels unless he uses several zones?
Makes sense, you can't be in ever zone at the same time! Guess if you have a bunch of people all over than maybe I could see 16 channels working out. But than again, with one source? or will that unit let you play different sources in all the locations?:D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
So they cut Dirac and shaved off $2K (from $5K to $3K) ? :eek:

I thought Dirac doesn't cost that much.

Maybe Monolith can get ATI to have an optional HTP-1B without Dirac and reduce the price from $4K to $2K. :D

And maybe ATI can offer an optional ATP-16B without Dirac and reduce the price from $10K to $6K. :D
Maybe, ATi will still service their products when it's just out of warranty. ;)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
It's actually just 13 Channels (13 speakers) and 3 subs.
Well there you go! 13 channels plus 3 for subs, wait a minute, 3 mono sub outs? Are all stereo, or just 3 mono? 4 would have been better, than you could've just use 4 Y splitters sub cables than you have 8 sub outs! Man that's an impressive pre pro! o_O How much? 3K?:oops: Emotiva has done it again!:eek: What kind of warranty? More than 5 years I hope. :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Well, Mike, tell us what kind of establishment doesn't service their own products out of warranty? :D
From what I've read just on AH, they won't service their XPR if I got that right, but they did come with a 5 year warranty. Anyone who has one of those high powered high-end amps, Emotive won't service it out of warranty. Guess they really are re-defining audiophile-quality. I just feel for Gene, with all the free testing and with Gene's reviews on EMO's XPA- line 1st gen. You would think EMO would have offered at least some type of compensation for Gene. We're talking about Gene, I believe and I'm being serious when I say this, without Gene's testing, posted up his results I don't believe EMO would've make it this far. A lot of people where having issues with some of their gear. That's just my thoughts, I've had several of their amps but not their XPR, I remember when they first came out, 600 watts, 1000 watts and so on, they had the pretty blue lights on each side weighed a ton. The way I see it Big bubba Dan, should've given Gene at the very least cost on whatever amp he wanted new! Like Gene said, when he found those issue with Yamaha gear, he very rarely receives anything back for his hard work from them manufacturers. Dog eat dog World I tell ya.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I understood it previously, no. The RMC1 was touted as being very flexible with assigning channels. Whether they ever released the upgrade modules or not (one optional module was dedicated for extra subs!), I don't know. Added to Dirac’s bass management capabilities, I can’t imagine they would handcuff it that way, like an internal 3-way or 4-way splitter only being processed as a single channel as some lower end AVRs do.. Could be wrong, of course.
Regardless, this XMC2 seems like Emo’s answer to the ATI-Monolith HTP1, take their existing tech, downscale it by removing the expansion capabilities... (and what else, I wonder?)... and undercut by a grand.
At 3k, it becomes the first, most affordable processor with the level of functionality of so many assignable channels, more so than the flagship products from any of the major companies. Look at the options from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Anthem... you are still more limited in setup options with all of them pretty much than what is described for the ATI-built and EMO processors. (I still can't help but wonder if somebody left Emo for ATI or vice versa, considering the style of the inputs and assignability of the channels is so somilar... or perhaps its a function of Dirac being involved.)
Regardless, exceeding 2 subs on any of the more traditional brand's product requires a mdsp 2x4 hd unit to manage the extra subs properly, as none allow more than two via RCA output. (I use the 2x4 HD as an example, assuming you decide you want better control than just splitting the signal with a Y, or daisy-chaining some... which gives you no control over delay.)

As always, I may of course be misunderstanding something here... I'm only what, 6-8 months into really using the equipment I have... with almost no experience using any other brand. So yes, I'm still learning a lot about the intricacies of all the tech involved with just my Marantz. ;)

More than anything, I think this approach of channel assignability and flexibility is wonderful. I feel somewhat locked into a box with the options Marantz gives. I can't think of a good reason why I can't run 5.2.6 natively, as an example. It can process Front and Rear Height, as well as Top Front and Top Back channels. But you can only choose two of those. The newest Denon Flagship allows 9.2.4 or 7.2.6 in the 13-channel AVR, along with last years Marantz AV8805... but the 7705 (both AVPs) still limits you to .4 Atmos.
Well, it does say it can do Atmos 9.1.6, which is 16 channels in one of the bullet points thus my question. Number of subs shouldn't count as channels to my mind but....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I fantasized for a while about the RMC1. ;) It has 16 XLR jacks with assignable options. Thus, you can choose between how many subs vs other speakers you employ. But for the extra subs, you sacrifice a pair (at least) of other speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis