Emotiva XMC-1 FINALLY shipping!!!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
BUT maybe not, 99% of their bad press is from pros...
I thought most the bad press was from the amps. I remember seeing a number of Emotiva problem threads here.

I hope it works out for them and the customers. I'd really like to see a success by someone new, shake things up a bit. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
AGARWALRO-

As I understand it the pros to date have not made them much money {maybe even losses}, so from the business standpoint its a tough sell for me... Now if the xmc turns out to be the end all processor, sure it will sell and they will sell more amps to go with it, thats IF it works out.. If people don't get the unit, hate it and send it back before the 30 days because of a bug here or there....

Talking with them and seeing the painstaking checking code, line by line, millions of lines, and all them man hours. Plus $60K to design and layout the chassis, and all the materials, and years and years of r and d, plus the years and years its going to take to get it rite, and the years and years of people complaining about the pros and this pro not being made fast enough, ect ect ect I am almost positive emo getting into pros up to date was a bad idea...

BUT maybe not, 99% of their bad press is from pros...
YUP.

I do believe that the XMC is gonna be the 1st Emo item manufactured in the good ol' USA too. So I double-really hope that it works out for them.

That's where I'm at, I absolutely HOPE that Emo knocks it out of the park with this one, but I'm not holding my breath for it either. If they screw the pooch on this one, then it is gonna hurt the brand for a loooong time.

Stick to the $ makers! And to the stuff that they do well. Whatever happened to Emo Subs? And the (non-pro) speaker line has pretty much fizzled out too.

Also, I'm wondering if their tube amps are still in the pipeline too?

Oh yeah, let's not forget the XDA-1 debacle (again moving away from the core Emo products).

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
As I understand it the pros to date have not made them much money {maybe even losses}, so from the business standpoint its a tough sell for me... Now if the xmc turns out to be the end all processor, sure it will sell and they will sell more amps to go with it, thats IF it works out.. If people don't get the unit, hate it and send it back before the 30 days because of a bug here or there....

Talking with them and seeing the painstaking checking code, line by line, millions of lines, and all them man hours. Plus $60K to design and layout the chassis, and all the materials, and years and years of r and d, plus the years and years its going to take to get it rite, and the years and years of people complaining about the pros and this pro not being made fast enough, ect ect ect I am almost positive emo getting into pros up to date was a bad idea...
You make valid points and I am not denying the relevance of any.

I hope with the lessons learnt from the previous products (good and bad), now they will have the experience to know where they went wrong (for example, trying do develop their own room eq solution with EmoQ vs. using an off the shelf solution, Dirac) and the wisdom to not do it again. It is not that it cannot be done (for example, the Outlaw AV processor got several awards), it just needs to be done right.

It is impressive when you consider that Emotiva has the gall to take on the likes of D&M and Yamaha, Pioneer (not counting the lower volume manufacturers like Rotel, Anthem, etc.) and have a viable product in direct competition with scores of mainstream options. I cannot help but root for the underdog.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You make valid points and I am not denying the relevance of any.

I hope with the lessons learnt from the previous products (good and bad), now they will have the experience to know where they went wrong (for example, trying do develop their own room eq solution with EmoQ vs. using an off the shelf solution, Dirac) and the wisdom to not do it again. It is not that it cannot be done (for example, the Outlaw AV processor got several awards), it just needs to be done right.

It is impressive when you consider that Emotiva has the gall to take on the likes of D&M and Yamaha, Pioneer (not counting the lower volume manufacturers like Rotel, Anthem, etc.) and have a viable product in direct competition with scores of mainstream options. I cannot help but root for the underdog.

I agree and also hope they are super successful, I have a umc200 had the umc1 and have a ton of emo amps, and love them all, but I can't see where they are going with pros.. I could understand a budget unit and maybe a budget avr type with amps built in {like the sherwoods} but to target the $2000 pro crowd is dangerous in my opinion...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I hope with the lessons learnt from the previous products (good and bad), now they will have the experience to know where they went wrong (for example, trying do develop their own room eq solution with EmoQ vs. using an off the shelf solution, Dirac) and the wisdom to not do it again.
I was amazed at how much EmoQ improved the sound of my system when I had the UMC-1.

The Marantz and Audyssey, meh.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I was amazed at how much EmoQ improved the sound of my system when I had the UMC-1.
I remember reading something about it setting the levels wrong on the LFE or something. Either way, I should clarify my siting EmoQ. I used it as an example of a system that needs a lot of engineering/research/testing (read, development cost) as opposed to picking up a known off the shelf solution. Granted, I don't have a clue as to the licensing/implementation cost of doing something like that (which I'm assuming is more than developing an in-house solution). But, one gets a guaranteed working solution. If they took Audyssey, they'd get the marketing too.

The Marantz and Audyssey, meh.
Yeah, none are perfect. I too have had mixed results with Audyssey XT32. Even after several re-runs, the probability of it getting the filters exactly the way I would like, is a toss up. Huge improvement from no EQ, but, there is still room for improvement.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
In the last 4 years I have had a Marantz SR7001, Integra 40.3, Emotiva UMC200 and currently have a Denon x4000.
Of all those the UMC 200 actually sounded better to me by a fairly large margin than the 3 receivers.

The Denon X4000 (XT32, Sub EQ HT) absolutely does a much better job on the subs than any of the others though.

I really hope the XMC is a resounding success cause I also like to root for the underdog!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I was getting paranoid as I hadn't received a "buy" e-mail from Emotiva and I couldn't find my confirmation e-mail for the reserve but I e-mailed Emo customer service and they told me that I was indeed on the list but they couldn't tell me where. Maybe by the time the get to me they'll already have the Dirac situation worked out.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just got my "time to buy" e-mail today!!!!

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl. It's a bit more money than I wanted to spend but I should be able to mitigate the damage somewhat by selling my Marantz.

Anyone here interested in a gently used 7005? :D

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You best not disappoint with your photo's and review!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just got this e-mail today!!!

Hello,
You will receive a credit card receipt shortly for your XMC-1 order which will ship no later than Monday. You will receive tracking information once the order has shipped.
Thank you!
Janna Riggs
Assistant Accounting Manager

The anticipation is killin' me!!!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
My XMC shipped yesterday. According to UPS it will deliver next Thursday the 28th. So I'm sure I will be spending the whole weekend getting it set up and tweaked. I'll be sure to give you guys a full report the week after.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
UH HUH UH HUH Can you stream a live webcam? UHHHH

I know the excitement! Congrats!

Question, are you dropping the Onkyo and moving the Marantz to your secondary system? I just realized you have the 7005, and was curious.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I'll most likely be selling the Marantz if everything works out with the XMC-1. I have an old Yamaha receiver that's been in the box for years that I was planning on using for a bedroom system. Just never got around to it.

Not sure what you mean by the "Onkyo". The Onkyo I have is a 2-ch amp. But I bought a UPA-200 along with the XMC that I will be replacing it with. So I'll be selling that soon as well.

But for some reason, the UPS website now says that my XMC will arrive on Wednesday!!! So now I'll be bailing out on the gym and sword class on Wednesday to set up the XMC!!! I should have at least a partial review for you guys some time this week.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
STOP POSTING IN HERE :D , every time I see this thread come up, I am like "its here" then NOPE, not here, yet...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
STOP POSTING IN HERE :D , every time I see this thread come up, I am like "its here" then NOPE, not here, yet...
Dude. I keep checking the UPS website multiple times a day hoping for a change in status. It's like a sickness.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
About 6 months ago I ordered a new set of wheels and tires for my 32 vicki, custom made CNC wheels, they were $9000, someone drew them and had the company make them mounted them on the car, and changed their mind, NEVER even took them for a ride.... So they had the company make them another different set, this cost them thousands!!! A friend of mine tells me the story and they will fit my car perfectly, sends me a picture and price and I couldn't resist, I have always wanted to change the wheels and they were perfect... So I bought them, sent a check, then it took them 2 weeks to get them sent out {they never mail stuff, so had to buy boxes, and package and talking to them on the phone it was just beyond their ability to get it done....}, so finally the tracking number is ALIVE, 3 arrive and the 4th was lost!!!! 3 days to find it and another 4 days to get it here!!!! I was going nuts, I actually put the 3 that arrived on, that helped, but bouldn't drive with them because they were different sizes from the ones I had on the car...

But anyway, I know the feeling, pure torture, waiting for a new toy....

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I've been keeping tabs on this both at AVS and the Emo forum. Very few units have shipped since the re-start up on shipping, about a week ago now. Not sure what the hold up is, hopefully they will be able to ramp up volume soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis