Emotiva vs Monoprice vs Marantz

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
If it's like their other entries into high end audio I think they have a winner again. I have the Monolith 7 and it's a beast.
I really wish Monoprice would add to their Amp lineup. Make some true mono-blocks and add some higher wattage per channel 5-7 channel amps. Premium amps you could say. There would be plenty of people who would purchase those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I really wish Monoprice would add to their Amp lineup. Make some true mono-blocks and add some higher wattage per channel 5-7 channel amps. Premium amps you could say. There would be plenty of people who would purchase those.
If ATI/mono offered the Hypex N Core as a budget option to the ATI line up...
;)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just got word that ATI has been closed per California Stay-Home order.
If they want to continue working, they can work in my basement, but with that includes giving me free products as payment. I think that's an fair.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If they want to continue working, they can work in my basement, but with that includes giving me free products as payment. I think that's an fair.
I bet the development team is working from home like many people and do video or telephone conferences if needed.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
If it's like their other entries into high end audio I think they have a winner again. I have the Monolith 7 and it's a beast.
Keep in mind..
MonoPrice is just a distributor..
Not an independent, stand-alone brand that must have the substantial, experienced, technical internal resources to deliver such a product bug-free. They are capable and can move a lot of products. And hit it out of the park with their MonoLith amplifiers.. :)

But as posted previously a surround processor and/or AVR is a totally different animal due to having significant firmware.. Even when the ATP1 is delivered, whenever a firmware issue arises MonoPrice must go back to the source development team for their fix, this takes time.. The features of the ATP1 are incredible but will it take many more months before they can deliver a reliable, bug-free product...

Just my $0.02... ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@M Code touched on it... I think the HTP-1 was a calculated gamble.
It's at a good price point compared to the other options out there/coming down the pipeline. Mono/ATI assumed it likely that only a relatively small handful of people would jump on this. They also probably counted on a dedicated group of power users to do things to the unit that they just couldn't imagine in the shop. Lastly, they also probably counted on the AVS thread taking hold.
I don't now what it is about the HTP-1 and other 16-channel units that seem to be so much more trouble than existing 11- and 13-channel units. Likewise, Dirac is out on the market, and it strikes me as silly that [Emo] can't get it up.
But therein lies the rub with being an early adopter, sometimes... there are kinks.
What I know, from reports on the AVS HTP-1 Owners Thread is that:
Mono has taken units back without problem for any reason... some just as silly as a user that couldn't do something his old AVP allowed him to do
Monolith Guy is a member of the Monoprice team and has been monitoring the thread actively, responding periodically, and posting updates on bug fixes and release information.
Dirac also has a team member participating in the thread.
Most of the power users are happy.
The non power users seem to be ecstatic (one in particular came from an EMO and is gushing over the HTP).
It would seem that there are only two issues that are readily holding things back and those are fixes from some minor popping coming from sources, and the gain structure adjustments.
the Bass management software is in hand at ATI/Mono and being worked on for implementation. No release date is set to best of my knowledge.
In two months, roughly, they got that device up to ~90% of it's promise.

For those that can afford to purchase the luxury Processors, which I would consider the JBL unit to fit in to at $6K, perhaps the future is bright. ATI will have a head start on the competition. Perhaps the Arcam/JBL units catch up. I know there are some outliers in the field, but for now...

HTP-1 for the win.
Having representatives from the involved parties giving frequent updates/status reports this way makes a world of difference as compared to them just telling you they are working on it and will let you know.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I got 30 days to try free
Emo pre-pro is definitely a rash gamble IMHO. After watching their earlier Pre-Pro introductions, I would not touch one until it was finalized and proven.

However, given that you have already pulled the trigger, at a minimum I would require that the Dirac was proven by your 30 day window! Given that they are projecting a 30 day completion time on Dirac and the likelihood of Covid-19 dragging that out I don't think they will make it. I bet you could negotiate an extension on the 30 day trial on that basis. They don't want you returning the unit, but I think you have every right if it is not complete. If I were keen on Emo, I would probably be looking at something like Emo has 90 days to get the unit sorted and if not you will return it. If they refuse it, what does that tell you! If they agree, get it documented!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Can put much better stuff into the chassis and do put better stuff on the chassis may not be the same thing....many pre-pros are very similar to the avr from the same lineup (like Marantz). Audible differences? Doubtful. Longevity? Maybe. Personally I'd say putting the money towards better speakers would be a better use of the funds, particularly since you do have a very good unit already. What speakers do you have now?
That advice is consistent among people that have knowledge about audio products, yet its consistently rejected.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That advice is consistent among people that have knowledge about audio products, yet its consistently rejected.
Nice! couldn’t have said it better myself. Gotta hand it to Loveinthehd his input is well grounded in facts. on a side note,
Usually, most of the time if not all the time on every posted up post.,:p;) just jacking at ya LTHD;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice! couldn’t have said it better myself. Gotta hand it to Loveinthehd his input is well grounded in facts. on a side note,
Usually, most of the time if not all the time on every posted up post.,:p;) just jacking at ya LTHD;)
LOL every one? I'm not that bored :) Just resisted a minute ago aamof!

C

CygnusX

Audiophyte
i have tried to live with the xmc-2 for a year now. i hate it, just hate it.

theres static pops and crackle in the speakers often.
ARC dont work half the time
70% of the time im missing sound from tv.
they promise a firmware is just around the corner, but then months later nothing
the forums are structured to bury peoples issues, and should you finally talt to someone they will let you know its a feature not a bug LOL

im trying to figure out if im gonna grab a htp-1 or a ToneWinner at-300

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
i have tried to live with the xmc-2 for a year now. i hate it, just hate it.

theres static pops and crackle in the speakers often.
ARC dont work half the time
70% of the time im missing sound from tv.
they promise a firmware is just around the corner, but then months later nothing
the forums are structured to bury peoples issues, and should you finally talt to someone they will let you know its a feature not a bug LOL

im trying to figure out if im gonna grab a htp-1 or a ToneWinner at-300
That doesn't surprise me about EMO. That forum is probably the worst one on the internet. Your more than likely are Not going to find the truth in audio.

C

CygnusX

Audiophyte
yeah im afraid so.

i want to clarify my post a bit
the static pop noises comes when ever surround codec (stereo, surround, dts, dolby) or bitrate change or sampling rate change. so when ever you browsing say netflix which is stereo, and you start the movie and it changes to dolby, loud static pops will be heard. if your playlist contain mp3/flac of different bitrates say 16b44khz and the next song is 16b/48khz then a pop will be heard...embarrassing when your showing off your system .....but i could live with that

the real issues are between the tv and the xmc2. (even if we ignore netflix and atmos)
70% of time no sound from tv, tv turns on and CEC turns on xmc2 and all just fine....but no sound....switch to shield and i might get sound....if sound on shield then i can do netflix on that, but picture quality is best on the tv's built in app (LG CX Oled) switching back to tv app might bring sound with it. (forums will tell you its your HDMI wire...i bought new ones....high end ones....8k certified ones...didnt help)

emo forums blame shitty hdmi standards and CEC stuff....but i dont get it, my yamaha and pioneer amps have no issues, but they dont have support for 7.2.6 either

just to get a bit more off my chest,
the remote is huge and occupies the whole armrest, and its working angles are narrow, and its hard to tell buttons apart....i love the LG remote you can point it backwards and it works.

menu system of the xmc-2 is sloooooow, and super frustrating to use, for every click your waiting almost a second.....and it buffers your presses, so often time you think the press didnt register(or your in a hurry)...and then you watch the menu jump two places further than anticipated ...now imagine leveling the speakers and setting distance for 13 channels....arghhhhh

lastly is their buggy implementation of Dirac.....i got mine last year, and i heard they streamlined the registration process a bit....this is my experience. no instructions in box on how to do it....dirac webpage says it has to be registered, no number in box or on amp allows me to register, finally i figure out by going through tons of emo forums that emo has a page where you register amp and it spits out a code that you can then use on Dirac webpage.....dirac wants 5 business days to activate, so out of the box you have to wait a week to calibrate it WTF
i dont know if it was an after thought or they where just gonna use Tonewinner's calibration software, but to do dirac you need a pc or mac....you need to connect a rasberry pi to your switch or router, and you need to connect amp to switch or router....now pray that the amp see's the rasberry or you wont be able to do anything

it took me most of day to get it to see rasberry, turns out the amps ethernet port needs a full 30 seconds of no power to fully reset , when is the last time you counted to 30 when resetting your pc..off then on ...good to go right ?

takes about 45 minutes to move microphone around to 17 listening spots and calibrate 13-16 channels...and then Dirac says something went wrong and you can start over. after a while i gave up and just did 3-5 positions, and the result was horrible, sounded like i was under water....repeated several times with same results....emo sent me a new mic-usb dodad, siting some of them had too much noise in them....still didnt work, and im tired of trying.....my manual calibration with old radio shack DB meter and measuring tape still sounds better

the times i have called them, support has been quick to send me to the forums, and sounded grumpy that i dared calling instead of sifting through 400+ post threads with few gold nuggets burrid in those pages...my fist post disappeared and my second post on same issue was deleted. turns out my original post was combined with the 400+ post, and after my second post an admin had left me an message, that what i was talking about was already discussed in this 400+ page long thread, and that they prefer that i check if a subject has been discussed before starting a new thread...i have been through that post without a solution, its now 600 pages long and will take you a day+ to read

i thought i bought a premium product, and with the number 2 in its name most issues would have been ironed out....i was kinda waiting for the japanese brands to release products that have fixed the hdmi 2.1 issues, stuff is starting to trickle out now, so soon the xmc2 will go on craigslist and i will move on...wife even said she would pay half to rid of that piece of junk.....see she and the kids are now often just switching to tv's internal speakers to skip the drama with the xmc2 or they go into the den with its shitty vizio and pioneer and enjoy their atmos there which works 99% of the time....yeah once in a blue moon the shield or vizio will have a brain fart....but not like 70% of the time with the xmc2

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Years back I use to go on that forum, as time passed and members would start posting up issues with their EMO gear, I noticed their post were either deleted or it was blamed on something else. Mostly deleted. Some even got banned if they were posting up issues about bad CS.

Last edited:
T

tparm

Audioholic
Went form Denon A110 in preamp mode to Emotiva RMC-1L to Anthem AVM 70. Anthem my favorite by far; WebUI, ARC accuracy and flexibility, sound quality for 2CH and movies, price. I wanted to love the Emotiva as it sounded good but it was not great to use (being kind) and its Dirac integration was inferior to ARC in the Anthem. Just my experience, hope it helps.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Went form Denon A110 in preamp mode to Emotiva RMC-1L to Anthem AVM 70. Anthem my favorite by far; WebUI, ARC accuracy and flexibility, sound quality for 2CH and movies, price. I wanted to love the Emotiva as it sounded good but it was not great to use (being kind) and its Dirac integration was inferior to ARC in the Anthem. Just my experience, hope it helps.
Guess I lucked out, the EMO amps I had never had a issue with any of them.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Guess I lucked out, the EMO amps I had never had a issue with any of them.
My Emo amps (used to use A150 and now an A7 for effects channels) have always worked great. I also have an ERC-4 (think I’m selling) that’s been flawless. Their surround processors are far less impressive.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My Emo amps (used to use A150 and now an A7 for effects channels) have always worked great. I also have an ERC-4 (think I’m selling) that’s been flawless. Their surround processors are far less impressive.
I sold All my ELMOE amps off years ago and never looked back. I've found that only at very high level's would a added amp made any kind of difference in sound quality. I like my hearing and playing music at 95dBs isn't in my best interest.

T

tparm

Audioholic
I sold All my ELMOE amps off years ago and never looked back. I've found that only at very high level's would a added amp made any kind of difference in sound quality. I like my hearing and playing music at 95dBs isn't in my best interest.
My processor doesn’t have any built in amplification so it’s kind of a necessity for me. :cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis