Emotiva vs Monoprice vs Marantz

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
ATI isn’t in the business of selling bug-ridden products. :D

Same goes for the main AVR/AVP companies like Yamaha and Denon/Marantz.

@M Code might be able to shed some light as to why JBL is resorting to this practice of selling bug-ridden products.
I'm just sitting here waiting for ATI to drop the ATP16....

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yeah monoprice did well came out swinging on the gate on this one
I really want to like the HTP-1. Not many reviews yet on the monoprice webpage and the ones on there seem too good to be true. Mostly just wild excitement of owning something new from those buyers. I wasn't impressed after reading the review I've attached. It still sounds like it has plenty of bugs to work out. This review is dated Feb. 12, 2020. So relatively recent. I know most all of the new 16 channel processors will eventually be fine tuned, but it's kind of stain on the company when they release something they're charging a nice premium for and it's that buggy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For an 11 channel set up, my vote is for the CX-A5100. If I need 13 channels, then neither, but would likely go with the AVC-X8500H (or AVR-X8500H in the US) set to pre-amp mode because of the much lower price than the AV8805 but virtually the same in the critical areas; and might actually measure better without the HDAMs getting in the way.:D

@AcuDefTechGuy , I don't need one but just for curiosity, could you get the AVC-X8500H on special order (I assume, if yes) in the US?
Nope. I just got the AVR-X8500H for a client, but cannot get the AVC.

But yeah, if I need 11Ch w/o Dirac, the Yamaha CX-A5100 is my best bet.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just sitting here waiting for ATI to drop the ATP16....
ATI is still working on the ATP-16.

They've been focusing on their new line of Amps.

Of course, the COVID-19 Stay-Home order from State of California is not helping.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yeah, they sure are taking their sweet time.

On the Jan 2020 dealer sheet, it still says "Call for Availability".

I just sent ATI an email about the ATP16. :D
Total guesstimate, but price wise we looking at over or under $10k?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent! I shall add to the list for next theater build.
Have you started a thread in the owner's System Gallery?

Can't wait to see what your final system built will be! :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
ATI isn’t in the business of selling bug-ridden products. :D

Same goes for the main AVR/AVP companies like Yamaha and Denon/Marantz.

@M Code might be able to shed some light as to why JBL is resorting to this practice of selling bug-ridden products.
Simple... Heavy internal push to get the firmware released unfortunately...
Inadequate validation testing. A surround processor/avr has 000s' of lines, note an analog amplifier has little software. Also changing just 1 line of software code can cause another issue. Since we have run/managed software teams we can speak 1st hand about this.... :mad::mad:
JBL now Arcam..
Has limited software validation resources, previously to my knowledge JBL was doing software validation in India which just stretches out the time-line between revising the code and revalidating it... This is further complicated when code from an outside vendor such as Dolby, DTS, DIRAC is implemented.. Typical time-line for a firmware revision(rewrite/validation) can take up to 6 months... o_Oo_O

Just my $0.02... ;)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Have you started a thread in the owner's System Gallery?

Can't wait to see what your final system built will be! :D
No, haven't put together a thread for anything yet. Most everything is just jotted down on paper or in my head for the time being. Once it becomes a reality I'll start something. Probably won't be reality for another 3-4 years. I'm just glad I've narrowed the product list down. I too am looking forward to the day it is finally finished. Thanks for throwing out ideas!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Simple... Heavy internal push to get the firmware released unfortunately...
Inadequate validation testing. A surround processor/avr has 000s' of lines, note an analog amplifier has little software. Also changing just 1 line of software code can cause another issue. Since we have run/managed software teams we can speak 1st hand about this.... :mad::mad:
JBL now Arcam..
Has limited software validation resources, previously to my knowledge JBL was doing software validation in India which just stretches out the time-line between revising the code and revalidating it... This is further complicated when code from an outside vendor such as Dolby, DTS, DIRAC is implemented.. Typical time-line for a firmware revision(rewrite/validation) can take up to 6 months... o_Oo_O

Just my $0.02... ;)
That's the reason why I decided to upgrade from an ex flag ship AVC to a mid range AVR.:D:D Too much money and risks in keep chasing the latest greatest..

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
That's the reason why I decided to upgrade from an ex flag ship AVC to a mid range AVR.:D:D Too much money and risks in keep chasing the latest greatest..
Smart move... :)
Makes little sense to have a $10K door stop...

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see myself upgrading from the Yamaha CX-A5100 unless the following happens:

1. 8K movies are shot with 8K digital cameras (most movies are still being shot with 35mm analog and 2.8K-3.4K cameras).

2. 8K movies are mastered in 8K (most movies are still being mastered in 2K/1080p even now).

3. 8K movies are produced on 8K BluRays.

4. Prices of Native-8K projectors are affordable (most "4K projectors" are still Native-1080p now).

5. They come out with Sound beyond Atmos/DTSX/Auro3D - like put speakers BELOW us. :D

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
There's a McIntosh MX122 on audiogon for $4700. That would have to win the eye candy award, right?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@M Code touched on it... I think the HTP-1 was a calculated gamble.
It's at a good price point compared to the other options out there/coming down the pipeline. Mono/ATI assumed it likely that only a relatively small handful of people would jump on this. They also probably counted on a dedicated group of power users to do things to the unit that they just couldn't imagine in the shop. Lastly, they also probably counted on the AVS thread taking hold.
I don't now what it is about the HTP-1 and other 16-channel units that seem to be so much more trouble than existing 11- and 13-channel units. Likewise, Dirac is out on the market, and it strikes me as silly that [Emo] can't get it up.
But therein lies the rub with being an early adopter, sometimes... there are kinks.
What I know, from reports on the AVS HTP-1 Owners Thread is that:
Mono has taken units back without problem for any reason... some just as silly as a user that couldn't do something his old AVP allowed him to do
Monolith Guy is a member of the Monoprice team and has been monitoring the thread actively, responding periodically, and posting updates on bug fixes and release information.
Dirac also has a team member participating in the thread.
Most of the power users are happy.
The non power users seem to be ecstatic (one in particular came from an EMO and is gushing over the HTP).
It would seem that there are only two issues that are readily holding things back and those are fixes from some minor popping coming from sources, and the gain structure adjustments.
the Bass management software is in hand at ATI/Mono and being worked on for implementation. No release date is set to best of my knowledge.
In two months, roughly, they got that device up to ~90% of it's promise.

For those that can afford to purchase the luxury Processors, which I would consider the JBL unit to fit in to at $6K, perhaps the future is bright. ATI will have a head start on the competition. Perhaps the Arcam/JBL units catch up. I know there are some outliers in the field, but for now...

HTP-1 for the win.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
There's a McIntosh MX122 on audiogon for $4700. That would have to win the eye candy award, right?
There is a MX150 7.1 AV Processor listed as well. $4295. Regular MSRP of $12k!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really want to like the HTP-1. Not many reviews yet on the monoprice webpage and the ones on there seem too good to be true. Mostly just wild excitement of owning something new from those buyers. I wasn't impressed after reading the review I've attached. It still sounds like it has plenty of bugs to work out. This review is dated Feb. 12, 2020. So relatively recent. I know most all of the new 16 channel processors will eventually be fine tuned, but it's kind of stain on the company when they release something they're charging a nice premium for and it's that buggy.

If it's like their other entries into high end audio I think they have a winner again. I have the Monolith 7 and it's a beast.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis