Emotiva vs Monoprice vs Marantz

P

puszkaPL

Enthusiast
Hello guys I am thinking about going into separates as I have the Marantz SR8012 now. So there is so many HT processors out there and it’s really hard to choose. I was thinking about the Emotiva RMC 1L which is $4000 and now Emotiva has 30% off for the next purchase!!!! Next one is the Monoprice HTP 1 it’s a great looking processor and it’s also 4000$ , they both have the Dirac Live.....excep the Emotiva doesn’t have it yet (HTP1 does). Last but not least is the Marantz 8805 which is only 13.2 and is the most expensive one 4500$. Also Marantz doesn’t have Dirac but it uses Audysey....some people don’t like it. So which one would be best choice for me ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Audyssey does a fine job, and you have the best consumer version.

You already have a flagship AVR, why not use your 8012 for processing and just get the separate amp?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Mono HTP1 has been making many users happy. Much more so that the Emos. If I were to upgrade, I've been thinking about the Mono myself.
There is an abundance of info over at the AVS forum threads for the HTP1.
Important to note is that the Emo units have been pretty buggy for a while, and they have a very poor track record for delivering on their promises. Many HTP1 owners seem to have bailed on Emo. They have mostly expressed happiness with that decision.

P

puszkaPL

Enthusiast
I think Audyssey does a fine job, and you have the best consumer version.

You already have a flagship AVR, why not use your 8012 for processing and just get the separate amp?
I was thinking about that but that’s not the same thing as now everything is squeezed in one chassis...as the separates have are designed differently and they can put much more better stuff into the same chassis .....that’s why I choose to go separates all the way

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking about that but that’s not the same thing as now everything is squeezed in one chassis...as the separates have are designed differently and they can put much more better stuff into the same chassis .....that’s why I choose to go separates all the way
Here's my logic, a higher end processor might have "much more better stuff" inside, but it doesn't mean you're going to hear the difference and $4500 can buy some very nice speakers. That's where you're going to find audible improvements. I don't know what you have now, but I almost guarantee your money could be better spent for a sonic improvement.

OTOH, if you already own speakers that cost as much as my home and just want some eye candy to go with the rest of your setup then just ignore everything I typed above. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can put much better stuff into the chassis and do put better stuff on the chassis may not be the same thing....many pre-pros are very similar to the avr from the same lineup (like Marantz). Audible differences? Doubtful. Longevity? Maybe. Personally I'd say putting the money towards better speakers would be a better use of the funds, particularly since you do have a very good unit already. What speakers do you have now?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In fact... if you put your amp AND processor budget into speakers... oh man. You could get some really nice speakers for that kind of money!

P

puszkaPL

Enthusiast
Can put much better stuff into the chassis and do put better stuff on the chassis may not be the same thing....many pre-pros are very similar to the avr from the same lineup (like Marantz). Audible differences? Doubtful. Longevity? Maybe. Personally I'd say putting the money towards better speakers would be a better use of the funds, particularly since you do have a very good unit already. What speakers do you have now?
I just bought Focal Aria 948’s and center CC900 also I’m using PrimaLuna Ego 300 power amp to power the towers and for the center I’m using Emotiva XPA HC1 mono block amp

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much were the Focals? I know those are very good speakers, but you have high end processor money!

*Edit: Boy, those 948s are very nice speakers!

P

puszkaPL

Enthusiast
Here's my logic, a higher end processor might have "much more better stuff" inside, but it doesn't mean you're going to hear the difference and $4500 can buy some very nice speakers. That's where you're going to find audible improvements. I don't know what you have now, but I almost guarantee your money could be better spent for a sonic improvement.

OTOH, if you already own speakers that cost as much as my home and just want some eye candy to go with the rest of your setup then just ignore everything I typed above. :p
I just have the Focal Aria 948’s which I love and they are power with PrimaLuna Evo 300 power amp....tube magic

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They were 5000$ pair
I looked them up. They look awesome.

You know, there's a rule of thumb when it comes to budgeting for an audio system and the bulk of it should always go toward speakers (~35-40% of the total budget- counting your display!) . I guess that's where I'm getting hung up with you. To spend that much on processing and amplification I'd figure 10k, maybe even more on the speakers.

You do already have some nice speakers tho and if you're into having a little eye candy I can relate. Just know it's really unlikely you're going to gain anything sonically. Not like you can upgrading your speakers. Build quality, maybe some higher quality parts and possibly better longevity but that doesn't translate into audible differences. Like HD said above a lot of manufacturers AVRs spec great as well and share some of the same internals with their standalone processors even. Especially when you get to the level of AVR you have.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would ordinarily agree with Pogre, but going Separates is always seemingly an investment out of proportion to other gear. :)
FWIW, I use my Marantz mostly as a processor, with only 2 channels being driven by its Amps. That said, the Amp stage tends to be the weak link I think.
Thoughts on the "why" to go HTP-1 is mainly about Dirac, and hopefully to have more freedom in placing Atmos speakers. Currently, Dirac works well on the HTP-1, and Monoprice/ATI is working on getting the Bass Management Module working. They have the Software from Dirac... so it is just about getting it implemented.
Most reports are that the device sounds great, especially with a successful Dirac calibration.
Audyssey XT32 is nice, but I've found too many limits in the speaker placement options in the D&M products. Coupled with usually poor Audyssey work above the Schroeder Frequency of your room... I just don't see the point in going there unless there is better implementation in the future.
If you delve into the 20+pages on the HTP-1 owners thread over at AVS, you will see the shopping list of complaints against Emo. I've pretty much written them off as a company whose products I will ever purchase. No sale will change that.
One more PLUS for the HTP-1: they have had very active support from Monolith and Dirac on the thread, as well as some other very experienced power users and industry cats giving feedback and advice.
Is it a perfect product? No... but like 85-90% of the way it seems. It is only going to get better!

P

puszkaPL

Enthusiast
I would ordinarily agree with Pogre, but going Separates is always seemingly an investment out of proportion to other gear. :)
FWIW, I use my Marantz mostly as a processor, with only 2 channels being driven by its Amps. That said, the Amp stage tends to be the weak link I think.
Thoughts on the "why" to go HTP-1 is mainly about Dirac, and hopefully to have more freedom in placing Atmos speakers. Currently, Dirac works well on the HTP-1, and Monoprice/ATI is working on getting the Bass Management Module working. They have the Software from Dirac... so it is just about getting it implemented.
Most reports are that the device sounds great, especially with a successful Dirac calibration.
Audyssey XT32 is nice, but I've found too many limits in the speaker placement options in the D&M products. Coupled with usually poor Audyssey work above the Schroeder Frequency of your room... I just don't see the point in going there unless there is better implementation in the future.
If you delve into the 20+pages on the HTP-1 owners thread over at AVS, you will see the shopping list of complaints against Emo. I've pretty much written them off as a company whose products I will ever purchase. No sale will change that.
One more PLUS for the HTP-1: they have had very active support from Monolith and Dirac on the thread, as well as some other very experienced power users and industry cats giving feedback and advice.
Is it a perfect product? No... but like 85-90% of the way it seems. It is only going to get better!
I understand and I really wanted to go with the Monoprice UMC1 but I just ordered the Emotiva RMC 1L......hopefully I won’t regret.....I’ve talked to Emotiva and they said Dirac is coming next month

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis