Emotiva T1+ Tweeters Burning Up??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like to think of it as a little ADHD in the leadership of the company. :p
Dunno who is driving the decisions other than the Big Guy, himself, but rather than make the RMC-1 work, they chose to make the RMC-1L, and XMC-1 and XMC-2... and for all four of those, none sat right with anybody but fan boys. *shrugs
Dunno about the Tubes, but glad I missed that! ;)

M

muziekfreak

Audiophyte
Old but still reading this entire comment sections. Boy o boy , so much misinformation here.

Infinity tweeters are NOT true ribbon drivers. They are electro magnetic induction drivers. Or in simple terms, planar magnetic.

True ribbons drivers do NOT always require a transformer. Apogee did that, because their design in the scintilla for example. Dipped to well below 0.5 ohm . They used a transformer to stabilize the impedance .

Magnepans , for example the mgIII,2.5qr, tympani IV had true ribbon tweeters. Without any need for transformers.

True ribbon differences are very simple to explain.
You have two rows of magnets , with in between a ribbon that's under tension. The ribbon gets actuated, by the magnetic field the two rows of magnetics create.

Planar magnetic, you have a a piece of mylar/kapton with the voice coil tracks bonded to it. And magnets were either behind or Infront of it (older models maggies for example were all single ended) or both (like emits ) they had bar magnets behind and Infront of the diaphragms being push pull.

in short they were having "heavier" diaphragms vs a true ribbon.

How I know ? I have about 10 sets of emit loaded infinties and 5 sets of magnepans..

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

True ribbon tweeters are notorious for their less than friendly crossover point. Planar drivers just do better there.

True ribbon also relies heavily on the magnetic field , not uncommon for them to start slacking , and need adjusting or replacing over time. They stretch and start slapping outside the gap they are in. Planar magnetic drivers are just way more sturdier, and could be implemented on lower crossover points.

true ribbon tweeters are incredibly fragile. A gust of wind can already rip them apart . Magnepan for example , will have magnetic strips on them to protect them during transport. Very fragile ..

It is a incredibly revealing driver , but imho I don't hear huge life altering differences between a true ribbon or a well build planar magnetic tweeter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Old but still reading this entire comment sections. Boy o boy , so much misinformation here.

Infinity tweeters are NOT true ribbon drivers. They are electro magnetic induction drivers. Or in simple terms, planar magnetic.

True ribbons drivers do NOT always require a transformer. Apogee did that, because their design in the scintilla for example. Dipped to well below 0.5 ohm . They used a transformer to stabilize the impedance .

Magnepans , for example the mgIII,2.5qr, tympani IV had true ribbon tweeters. Without any need for transformers.

True ribbon differences are very simple to explain.
You have two rows of magnets , with in between a ribbon that's under tension. The ribbon gets actuated, by the magnetic field the two rows of magnetics create.

Planar magnetic, you have a a piece of mylar/kapton with the voice coil tracks bonded to it. And magnets were either behind or Infront of it (older models maggies for example were all single ended) or both (like emits ) they had bar magnets behind and Infront of the diaphragms being push pull.

in short they were having "heavier" diaphragms vs a true ribbon.

How I know ? I have about 10 sets of emit loaded infinties and 5 sets of magnepans..

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

True ribbon tweeters are notorious for their less than friendly crossover point. Planar drivers just do better there.

True ribbon also relies heavily on the magnetic field , not uncommon for them to start slacking , and need adjusting or replacing over time. They stretch and start slapping outside the gap they are in. Planar magnetic drivers are just way more sturdier, and could be implemented on lower crossover points.

true ribbon tweeters are incredibly fragile. A gust of wind can already rip them apart . Magnepan for example , will have magnetic strips on them to protect them during transport. Very fragile ..

It is a incredibly revealing driver , but imho I don't hear huge life altering differences between a true ribbon or a well build planar magnetic tweeter.
I went back to the beginning of the thread to see what misinformation you're referring to and Shady mentions on the first page that we're talking about AMT tweeters, not ribbon tweeters.

Or did you just wanna brag up Magnepan speakers? Lol

M

muziekfreak

Audiophyte
I went back to the beginning of the thread to see what misinformation you're referring to and Shady mentions on the first page that we're talking about AMT tweeters, not ribbon tweeters.

Or did you just wanna brag up Magnepan speakers? Lol
No but you seem to have missed the rest of all the comments. But I digress I don't have to up talk anything , unlike you I have the experience with all of it true ribbon and planar (amt is also not true ribbon).

People constantly use the word ribbon which is simply not true ..

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Care to explain "The ribbon gets actuated, by the magnetic field the two rows of magnetics create."?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis