Emotiva T1+ Tweeters Burning Up??

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Let me clarify, both tweeters burnt, sorry if I did not make that clear, photo attached of my first temperature reading.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Let me clarify, both tweeters burnt, sorry if I did not make that clear, photo attached of my first temperature reading.
That is hot. So either there is a faulty batch of crossovers, or the crossover design is totally incorrect.

I think you need to cut your losses on these speakers and return them for a full refund and start speaker shopping again. This does not sound like just bad luck to me at all.

Last edited:
freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
The warden has gone to work, I will play the system and take a SPL readings and temp readings of both tweeters.

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Played a handful of music, average of 72dB on SPL, photo attached of tweeter temp.

Attachments

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Played a handful of music, average of 72dB on SPL, photo attached of tweeter temp.
TLS Guy aka Doc, may be right, something isn't right with the XO with your speakers? or like Doc stated wired wrong maybe? Thats Hooot!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, Ladies and Germs...

Emotiva has earned it:

Packaging 101: Everything you need to know to choose the best packaging for  you
Dumb as a box full of hair.

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
You guys have been great, thank you for your input.
I will call Emo and advise on the situation which should be interesting, They have had open ears on my past calls, but I really don't see them sending me new speakers, I don't know, feel kind of self defeated now. My divorce was easier than this lol.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I will call Emo and advise on the situation which should be interesting, They have had open ears on my past calls, but I really don't see them sending me new speakers, I don't know, feel kind of self defeated now. My divorce was easier than this lol.
I wouldn't accept new speakers from them, I'd only be accepting a return and full refund at this point.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought about the Emo Airmotivs... HARD, when I was shopping back in 2018. Other than the cost, and a few reviews that made them sound way better than they obviously are, I am so glad I did not pursue them.
Other than the fact they hit every branch on the fall from the Ugly Tree... :D
...They, like many other buzz-ful companies, don't [read:didn't] seem interested in any form of third party testing. Yes, JA did some measurements in 2019 well after I was buying, and it only affirmed that these are not great speakers.
One cat here has a pair of the B-1s modded by Dennis... and I hope he was able to do as much for that speaker as he has done in every other undertaking I've seen. The report is that that particular mad was successful.
Regardless:
I vote:
RUN.
Get your money back, and buy some good speakers!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You need to understand we field thousands of problem post here every year. But I have to say this is a totally new low. In fact so much so, I'm dumbfounded that this could happen.

You need to return those for a full refund as totally unusable. Far more likely than not, if you receive a new pair the same thing will happen. Even when I started designing speakers as a kid in short pants, I never caused anything close to that to happen.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I thought about the Emo Airmotivs... HARD, when I was shopping back in 2018. Other than the cost, and a few reviews that made them sound way better than they obviously are, I am so glad I did not pursue them.
Other than the fact they hit every branch on the fall from the Ugly Tree... :D
...They, like many other buzz-ful companies, don't [read:didn't] seem interested in any form of third party testing. Yes, JA did some measurements in 2019 well after I was buying, and it only affirmed that these are not great speakers.
One cat here has a pair of the B-1s modded by Dennis... and I hope he was able to do as much for that speaker as he has done in every other undertaking I've seen. The report is that that particular mad was successful.
Regardless:
I vote:
RUN.
Get your money back, and buy some good speakers!
The mods are fine... But.. If what seems to be happening with the t1+s is happening emotiva needs to refund the op....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I also think it is a crossover board problem
Probably is ..Dennis didn't think much of the mid woofer, but he seemed to think the amt was fine.. Pretty good actually from my recollection

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I agree with the others that the best guess is bad crossover - either flawed crossover design or these particular units didn't get built correctly.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I agree with the others that the best guess is bad crossover - either flawed crossover design or these particular units didn't get built correctly.
I'm thinking " Chinese gremlins"....

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I’ve got a pair of their powered Airmotiv speakers and they have been solid for years.

But / And in this situation, I agree, those speakers are broken, and Emotiva should offer a full refund and cover return shipping.

I had to return a defective processor once to them and it took a few “no’s” before they finally agreed. So don’t get discouraged and if you need to reverse the charges with your CC company, well, that’s always a last resort if the company doesn’t make good.

(Contrast that with some vendors who just say “no problem here is the rma#”. Maybe SVS is a little overpriced, and Crutchfield seldom has discounts, but you know if there is a problem with those vendors you’ll have relatively little hassle getting taken care of quickly and fairly.)

highfigh

highfigh

This.
Why I suggested requesting a new speaker be sent, not just a tweeter.
Further, their insistence on OP trying a third source of amplification comes across as folly. Perhaps a delay.
Something ain't right, in other words.

(Understatement?) :p
Most manufacturers used to cover one blown tweeter under warranty, possibly with the advice to check the amplifier and settings, to determine the cause.If two drivers in one cabinet were blown, it was called abuse, although our store could cover those if we wanted in Jamo speakers since we were one of their favorite dealers. I don't remember seeing more than a couple of their speakers that had two blown drivers and it was always in a system with low power, with the volume cranked too high. We did, however, see some speakers that had a tendency to lose tweeters- Pioneer HPM and Infinity EMIT tweeters weren't able to handle abuse. Hartley speakers had a tweeter crossover slope that was too gentle, so they would send inductors to dealers with the replacements, but even that was during a short period and ended after they started to install the new version at the factory. I haven't seen a blown tweeter in a long time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis