Emotiva separates A-700/MC-700 OR Denon AVRX4300H for a 7.2 setup

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I need some guidance in making up my mind for my home theatre components.
Speakers are Elac Uni Fi 2 UF towers, 1 UC center and 4 UB bookshelves and 2 SVS PB1000 subs for a 7.2 setup.
Should I pair them with a Denon AVRX4300H
OR
Emotiva separates A 700 and MC 700. The MC 700 is a 7.1 and I was looking split the 1 out for the sub into 2 for the 2 svs subs

Please help.

Thanks,
Aman

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, unequivocally the Denon X4300 brand new for $750. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the specs of those speakers, I try googling but could not find the Uni-fi 2 UF towers?
The A700 won't give you any more power output than the X4300H in real world applications.

You probably should try the AVR first and add an external amp later only if deemed necessary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey XT32 DYNAMIC EQ is my best friend. :D

And the X4300 has it. ;)

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
What's the specs of those speakers, I try googling but could not find the Uni-fi 2 UF towers?
The A700 won't give you any more power output than the X4300H in real world applications.

You probably should try the AVR first and add an external amp later only if deemed necessary.
The specs for the Elac Uni Fi Towers are below:
Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch soft dome, concentrically mounted
Midrange: 1 x 4-inch aluminum cone
Woofer: 3 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
Crossover frequency: 270 / 2,700 Hz
Frequency response: 42 to 25,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω
Binding posts: 5-way custom
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
Accessories included: Magnetic fabric grille
Height (no feet): 38.0 in / 965mm
Width: 7.87 in / 200 mm
Depth: 10.7 in / 273 mm

https://www.elac.com/product/uf5/?r=us

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The specs for the Elac Uni Fi Towers are below:
Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch soft dome, concentrically mounted
Midrange: 1 x 4-inch aluminum cone
Woofer: 3 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
Crossover frequency: 270 / 2,700 Hz
Frequency response: 42 to 25,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω
Binding posts: 5-way custom
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
Accessories included: Magnetic fabric grille
Height (no feet): 38.0 in / 965mm
Width: 7.87 in / 200 mm
Depth: 10.7 in / 273 mm

https://www.elac.com/product/uf5/?r=us
Thank you, may be you should fix the typo in your post then.:D

From the specs, those speakers are not very efficient based on their low sensitivity and impedance specs. Their power handling specs is also rather low, so that means they are not designed to play loud except in smaller rooms. So based on their specs, I would say the Denon AVR-X4300H is in fact a reasonably match, go for it, or wait for the X3400H to drop in price.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon X3300 is $599 right now on Amazon Prime. So I bet IQ Entertainment could sell it for $550. :D

But I would still get the X4300 for $750 in case I decide to upgrade speakers later. ;)

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Thank you, may be you should fix the typo in your post then.:D

From the specs, those speakers are not very efficient based on their low sensitivity and impedance specs. Their power handling specs is also rather low, so that means they are not designed to play loud except in smaller rooms. So based on their specs, I would say the Denon AVR-X4300H is in fact a reasonably match, go for it, or wait for the X3400H to drop in price.
Thank you. That really helps.

The room that they will be placed in is a 16*18 dedicated media room. Do you think based on their rating they will be fine in such a placement?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I think this is your best course of action.
At 4 ohms nominal and a low of 3.4 ohms and efficiency of 85dB, the elacs are speakers that demand more than an entry level AVR. However, the 4300 is more than an entry level AVR.
Are the center and surrounds also 4ohms with efficiency in the mid to low 80's? If so, and if you listen fairly loud and especially to sources with a lot of content going to all speakers at the same time (a typical movie does not, but there are some surround sound DVDs of concerts that can), there is a chance that you will need more than the 4300 can provide. The same is true of the A-700.
As PENG suggests, try the 4300. If the power limits are being challenged, you will hear clipping distortion on the loudest passages.
If you need external amplification, get the Outlaw 5000. It is a far more powerful amp than the Emotiva (despite having fewer channels) for the same price. I would use the Outlaw to power the front 3 channels, and the Denon for the 4 rears/surrounds. That way, nothing is have to work very hard!
It may seem counter-intuitive to buy a 5 channel amp and only use 3 channels, but the power supply (primarily the transformer) is a shared resource and sharing it among fewer channels is especially beneficial for lower impedance/efficiency speakers such as yours.
http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, if you look around, you will note that the 4300 is a pretty expensive AVR. The linked price is a special deal that may not be around for long. We are quick to recommend it right now because of the value it represents! Unfortunately, this means you would be wise not to take your time and research it. It may turn out to have features you do not need, but at the current price, it is a no-brainer!

Also PENG (who knows much more about electronics than I ever will...and, apparently, types faster than I do) makes a good point about the speakers not being designed to play loud. You should not need additional power!

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
BTW, if you look around, you will note that the 4300 is a pretty expensive AVR. The linked price is a special deal that may not be around for long. We are quick to recommend it right now because of the value it represents! Unfortunately, this means you would be wise not to take your time and research it. It may turn out to have features you do not need, but at the current price, it is a no-brainer!

Also PENG (who knows much more about electronics than I ever will...and, apparently, types faster than I do) makes a good point about the speakers not being designed to play loud. You should not need additional power!
A big thanks to both you and Peng! In fact thank you to everyone.

I am now a proud owner of a Denon 4300 AVR. I will setup the speakers with only the receiver first, check it out for a week and add the outlaw power amp if necessary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I am now a proud owner of a Denon 4300 AVR. I will setup the speakers with only the receiver first, check it out for a week and add the outlaw power amp if necessary.
That's pretty fast. Good for you. :D

So that makes 4 AH members in 1 week to buy the X4300 at 50% off.

Also keep in the mind the VOLUME setting alone (like -10.0) is NOT indicative of your AVR needing more power.

A lot of guys think that just because they have to set the Volume to higher than -15.0 means that the AVR is underpowered.

So after you apply Audyssey XT32 and Dynamic EQ, let us know what you think. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you. That really helps.

The room that they will be placed in is a 16*18 dedicated media room. Do you think based on their rating they will be fine in such a placement?
I would say marginally adequate if you listen at reference level. Do you actually own those speakers, or just considering them?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That's pretty fast. Good for you. :D

So that makes 4 AH members in 1 week to buy the X4300 at 50% off.
That's awesome! I'm almost jealous. Everyone is buying one and I already upgraded, lol. I say almost tho, I'm really happy with the deal I got on my SR6011 thanks to @panteragstk, who is the on that linked me to it. Marantz wasn't even on my radar at the time.

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
I would say marginally adequate if you listen at reference level. Do you actually own those speakers, or just considering them?
Dont own them yet. But Since they were rated really high I was almost sold on getting them. Also they fit the budget. In fact there is a review by Gene from audioholics on the Elac speakers after which I started to really consider picking them up.

Would you recommend another 7.2 speaker configuration in a similar price range <3k that would out perform the Elac Uni-fis' and the SVS PB1000s?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dont own them yet. But Since they were rated really high I was almost sold on getting them. Also they fit the budget. In fact there is a review by Gene from audioholics on the Elac speakers after which I started to really consider picking them up.
I don't think anyone is saying they're bad speakers, but they're more difficult to drive at 4 ohm than an 8 ohm speaker. A sensitivity rating of 85db is a little on the low side and they handle up to 140 watts (which is more of the point where the electronics melt, not how much they can handle continuously) so they're just not designed to hit high sound pressure levels.

They won't play as loud as a more efficient speaker and 8 ohms is easier on your amp section.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would you recommend another 7.2 speaker configuration in a similar price range <3k that would out perform the Elac Uni-fis' and the SVS PB1000s?
Sounds like you need to post another thread in the Speakers section: "Best 7.2 speaker system for under $3K'". :)

The Denon X4300 is too easy to recommend for $750. The speakers will be more difficult. :D

The RBH Impression speaker series is one alternative.

https://rbhsound.com/towers_imp.php

I'm sure you will get plenty of other good recommendations.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I couldn't locate an audioholics review of these speakers, do you have a link?

If I were putting together a 7.2 setup with your budget I'd consider Ascend Acoustics 340SEs across the front, either 170SE or 200SE speakers for surround depending on your mounting options, and team them with the Rythmik LV12R subs (Ascend can bundle with Rythmik subs, check them for pricing). I own several Ascend speakers and find them excellent performance and value.

Another option I'd consider would be SVS speaker/sub combos. Personally I'm less than excited by the whole Elac thing from what I've read, wouldn't even consider them myself.

What speakers have you listened to yourself?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis