Emotiva LMC-1 & LPA-1 Review

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
This has little to do with the subject specimens of the review. But it does speak to my experience with Emotiva and may be helpful to those of you considering making a purchase from them. I have the tiny Emotiva BPA-1 integrated amp. It's of superb construction, is compact enough for placement anywhere, and IMHO represents terrific value. Shipping and customer service/ordering were fast and helpful.

The BPA-1 is hooked to a cd player and drives a pair of 6 ohm ACI LX speakers. The sound is delightful and can fill the entire 1700 sq.ft. house with music should I choose (when the missus isn't around, of course ;) ).

It performs far beyond my expectations, if truth be known.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
This has little to do with the subject specimens of the review. But it does speak to my experience with Emotiva and may be helpful to those of you considering making a purchase from them. I have the tiny Emotiva BPA-1 integrated amp. It's of superb construction, is compact enough for placement anywhere, and IMHO represents terrific value. Shipping and customer service/ordering were fast and helpful.

The BPA-1 is hooked to a cd player and drives a pair of 6 ohm ACI LX speakers. The sound is delightful and can fill the entire 1700 sq.ft. house with music should I choose (when the missus isn't around, of course ;) ).

It performs far beyond my expectations, if truth be known.

I was actually thinking of trying a pair of BPA-1's for my mains L/R in my 5.1 set up. Basically, just to take a bit off my A/V Receiver. I would let the receiver handle the other speakers. How do you think the BPA-1's would do in that roll?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I was actually thinking of trying a pair of BPA-1's for my mains L/R in my 5.1 set up. Basically, just to take a bit off my A/V Receiver. I would let the receiver handle the other speakers. How do you think the BPA-1's would do in that roll?
It depends upon the speakers and how much is asked of the amps...what speakers are you driving? My ACI's aren't the most efficient users of wattage...so as I said, I'm getting more than I expected. These little BPA-1's will give you 150 watts (bridged mode) into 8 ohms. 'Taint bad for a tiny integrated amp that looks cool, is stable into 4 ohm loads, and costs 189 bucks shipped!

That's the thing I like about them...they're flexible...you can do a number of things with them, like drive mains as you wish to do (while using a small footprint), or use one to push semi-beefy speakers using a cd player in a stand-alone, separate room system (as I am), or drive a passive sub using the amp's built-in crossover, or....

Last edited:
G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I am using Ascend Acoustics speakers which are fairly efficient and 8 ohms. I guess I am still undecided as to whether an amp is really needed at all in my situation. I know the SQ will be the same. Maybe piece of mind knowing that I can push reference levels without a problem.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Gov, perhaps you are experiencing a wee case of upgradeities. I sure am, but I can't think of anything other than different speakers that would change the SQ of my system, and I like my speakers.

Gov, do you already or have you considered room treatments? Big improvements to had by doing so.

Lastly, if you really want BPA-1 and can afford it and as you say it will give you peace of mind and pride of ownership then I say go for it.

Nick

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Gov, perhaps you are experiencing a wee case of upgradeities. I sure am, but I can't think of anything other than different speakers that would change the SQ of my system, and I like my speakers.

Gov, do you already or have you considered room treatments? Big improvements to had by doing so.

Lastly, if you really want BPA-1 and can afford it and as you say it will give you peace of mind and pride of ownership then I say go for it.

Nick

Maybe its a case of obsessive compulsiveness!! :eek: As far as room treatments, my HT room is open to the kitchen so I am not sure if room treatments are possible. Room treatments would be a good thing for sure, but I am not looking for a change in SQ, as I am happy with my Ascend speakers. I just can't help thinking that at or near reference levels with my Pioneer 1014, I may be pushing it a bit to much. I have never had the receiver overload or overheat or power off for any reason. It does get pretty warm to semi-hot when being pushed, but I think thats normal. Also, I don't think I have ever heard any audible clipping, but maybe at times you don't hear it? I am still confused :confused:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe its a case of obsessive compulsiveness!! :eek: As far as room treatments, my HT room is open to the kitchen so I am not sure if room treatments are possible. Room treatments would be a good thing for sure, but I am not looking for a change in SQ, as I am happy with my Ascend speakers. I just can't help thinking that at or near reference levels with my Pioneer 1014, I may be pushing it a bit to much. I have never had the receiver overload or overheat or power off for any reason. It does get pretty warm to semi-hot when being pushed, but I think thats normal. Also, I don't think I have ever heard any audible clipping, but maybe at times you don't hear it? I am still confused :confused:
I think Nick is right, Gov. If you don't have any current performance issues, a couple of BPA-1's are probably not going to do anything noticeably helpful. Your speakers are pretty well driven by that Pioneer.

But the BPA-1 blue LED's are cool....;) .....

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
One thing I am not clear on is, does this processor have separate channel level adjustments for all speakers and SW for the analog 8.1 portion (dvd-a/SACD)?

Thanx

B

bitperfect101

Enthusiast
should i get both or just the LCM-1 for a simple 2 channel setup?

i was thinking:

bookshelves
lcd
lcm-1
oppo dvd player

what you guys think for a bedroom setup/apt setup for movies,music and xbox?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
LMC features

Bit,
I think the 25 Watt zone 2 outputs on the LMC-1 would work better for a pair of patio speakers than for the main speakers. For a simple 2 channel system, pick up an Onkyo stereo receiver for $200. If you only need a single DVD/CD source, then one of the Emotiva BPA-1 amps might also be an option, but you would have to get up to adjust the volume.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
This was posted by a member over on av123 who apparently got this response from Lonnie at Emotiva about the power specs on the LPA-1:

..."The true power spec on the LPA-1 is 125 x 5 into 8 ohms and 65 x 2 into 8 ohms all channels driven with a broad band frequency response of 10-50Khz. From 20 to 20 the frequency response and power output is for all practical purposes completely flat and the amp will deliver the rated power across the band. Now the actual frequency response of the unit is from 10-50Khz @ -1db, thus the power spec can be derived from that as well, but this would just tend to confuse most people. To make the testing go faster in production, the Audio Precisions are set up to run a frequency sweep to very the power response is flat and then it just does a 1K measurement"

:confused:

D

dvc dude

Enthusiast
Gene,

Keep the reviews coming. I can't wait to see your review of the Emotiva Reference Series.

Thanks,

D

Dutchman01

Enthusiast
Nice to read the review it looks to me that my AVR-4306 still is a better one when i look at the ratings.:) :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis