Eliminating RFI/EMI Interference from your Audio System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I PRESENTLY HAVE my listening space in the attic of my house and less than 100 yards from a rather large and reasonably powerful ham radio antenna that points in my direction. I don't enjoy listening to my neighbor's ham radio transmissions through my stereo system, so I decided to take whatever measures necessary to get rid of the problem. This article provides methods of eliminating RFI/EMI noise ingress into your audio system by using proper cabling and grounding techniques.

Discuss "Eliminating RFI/EMI Interference from your Audio System " here. Read the article.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Right now the go to person regarding interference is Jim Brown. Jim Brown is both Audio Engineering Society past committee chair on EMI/RFI and a Ham radio operator. This paper is just one of about 50 papers at his web-site.

Don't let the title fool you, this started as a audio system paper then he added lots of Ham information.

"A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing"

by Jim Brown K9YC
Audio Systems Group, Inc.
Audio Systems Group, Inc. Home Page

The basis of this tutorial is a combination of my engineering education, 55 years in ham radio, my
work as vice-chair of the AES Standards Committee working group on EMC, and extensive research
on RFI in the pro audio world where I’ve made my living. That work is documented in technical
papers and tutorials that can be downloaded from the publications section of my website.

Chapter 1 – Some Fundamentals
To solve interference problems, we must understand them. So we'll begin by describing the ways
that RF interference is coupled into equipment and detected. There are several principal mechanisms
at work. You should study this tutorial thoroughly to understand how these things work.

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

other Jim Brown papers at:

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

Senior Audioholic
I would get yourself something like this and figure out what exactly you need and where to place them to eliminate the interference. Also remember you should not have any problems when the HAM is not transmitting. As a HAM my self I can say I am listening >99% of the time, my vertical antenna is about 20 feet from my house and I have no interference issues when I transmit.

> EMI Ferrite Split, Snap-On, Sample Kit For Round Cables

Last edited by a moderator:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Hams have a great advantage when it comes to solving interference problems. They have radio receivers that can identify both the interference frequency and it's signal strength. With directional antennas they sometimes can find the interference location or at least it's direction.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis