Easy way to add speakers to a TV?

F

Flyinace2000

Junior Audioholic
I have set up my parents w/ a basic home theatre in their basement (Onkyo HTIB) and they have mentioned they would like some speakers in the family room. They don't want a 5.1 system because runing wires in this room would be a PITA. What would be a simple way to add 2 stereo speakers? I would like to keep the system below $300 (amp/speakers). Do any computer speakers work with an IR remote that i could program into their Verizon FIOS remote.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could use the headphone out, or if the TV's line outs if they are variable, to supply the speakers with signal. That will allow the TV's volume control to be used, and avoid the need of another remote.

As for speakers, Audioengine is well received, or you could look through the studio monitor section at Amazon.com.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's a hard one because of the price. But let's take a whack at this. Your first task is to find out 1) if their TV has a headphone jack, 2) is the jack stereo, and 3) if the remote controls the volume of the headphone jack. If so you may be able to get away with a set of computer speakers like Klipsch's Promedia 2.1. They won't fill a huge room but they will do fine at moderate volumes in a smallish room.

Or you could do a pair of Behringer 2031Ps ($160 shipped) and a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR 307 receiver for $159 plus S&H. The 2031P isn't supposed to be as linear as the 2030P but if you aren't going to add a sub it's a better choice.

About the only other thing you're going to in that price range is some kind of all in one sound bar/box like Bored suggested.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis