Dynaudio Excite X14's $999!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just came across these over @Crutchfield and thought that I would share. The Excite X14's are normally $1299 a set. Crutchfield has the Black Satin and/or the Rosewood Satin in stock as we speak. However, the White Satin and the Walnut Satin will be in stock very soon. Here is a link for those interested:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_345X14B/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-Black-Satin.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_345X14RW/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-Rosewood-Satin.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_345X14WH/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-White-Satin.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_345X14WN/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-Walnut-Satin.html

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Measurements for the X14 are very good, not absolutely perfect but very good for $1k speaker pair.
I would love to hear them one day. Never read anything bad about Dynaudio. I am sure these are no different. A few hundred more and you can get the BMR's. But, for some these may be a good option. That is why I posted the thread. Thanks for the info Shady!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would love to hear them one day. Never read anything bad about Dynaudio. I am sure these are no different. A few hundred more and you can get the BMR's. But, for some these may be a good option. That is why I posted the thread. Thanks for the info Shady!

Cheers,

Phil
Alternately, for a few hundred less you could get the Outlaw BLS speakers which also measure superbly, or for a hundred more you can get a set of Outlaw LCR speakers. There are a lot of other great choices as well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Alternately, for a few hundred less you could get the Outlaw BLS speakers which also measure superbly, or for a hundred more you can get a set of Outlaw LCR speakers. There are a lot of other great choices as well.
Excellent point Shady. But, there are the RBH R-5E's and the R-515E's as well. Lots of good choices out there right now. Good time to be in the market for speakers! BTW, the R-5E's go for $530 a set in Gloss Black and the R-515E's go for $385 in Gloss Black for a single OR $770 in Gloss Black for a set! (3) of the R-515E's would only cost $1155! Not bad at all if you ask me.

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Excellent point Shady. But, there are the RBH R-5E's and the R-515E's as well. Lots of good choices out there right now. Good time to be in the market for speakers! BTW, the R-5E's go for $530 a set in Gloss Black and the R-515E's go for $385 in Gloss Black for a single OR $770 in Gloss Black for a set! (3) of the R-515E's would only cost $1155! Not bad at all if you ask me.

Cheers,

Phil
There are too many good speakers to list in this price range. I would be happy with almost any of them. One speaker that might make for an interesting point of comparison to the X14s would be the Dynaudio BM5 MKIIIs. They are $1k a pair and come with their own amplifier. Better yet, they have an active crossover instead of a passive crossover.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There are too many good speakers to list in this price range. I would be happy with almost any of them. One speaker that might make for an interesting point of comparison to the X14s would be the Dynaudio BM5 MKIIIs. They are $1k a pair and come with their own amplifier. Better yet, they have an active crossover instead of a passive crossover.
Yeah, those BM5's do look good. In fact, I am going to look at them closer. My use will be in the near-field anyways. Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I installed three pairs of the X-14 in a house that has a relatively long kitchen and dining area that connect to a Sun Room with a completely flat ceiling in the whole area. One pair is in the upper cabinets at one end of the kitchen, facing toward the Sun Room, another pair is on low floor stands at the end of the Sun Room, facing toward the Kitchen. I had no choice in where the Sun Room speakers went, the contractor ran the wires. The dining area opens to the Living Room through an 8' wide doorway with two sliding doors and there's a third pair in that room, flanking the fireplace. The living room opens to the main hallway opposite the left speaker and that hallway is connected to the Kitchen, to allow easy traffic flow to all rooms.

I'm using absolutely no equalization and the main thing that struck me after I turned the system on for the first time- when I walk throughout that floor, the sound doesn't change much. Bass response is great, especially for such small speakers and it doesn't have dead spots where the bass disappears. We had discussed using a subwoofer and decided to omit it from the system. I'm not saying that the bass is as strong as it would be with a sub, but it's very enjoyable without one.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is good to hear. I suppose the Excite X18's are even better, no? One day hope to hear some Dyn speakers. Who knows, one day I may even own a set. Have never read anything bad about them ever. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

That is good to hear. I suppose the Excite X18's are even better, no? One day hope to hear some Dyn speakers. Who knows, one day I may even own a set. Have never read anything bad about them ever. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
In another speaker discussion, someone asked what I like about Dynaudio (might have been KEW) and I replied that I don't need to think about what I'm listening to when they're used- I can just listen.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In another speaker discussion, someone asked what I like about Dynaudio (might have been KEW) and I replied that I don't need to think about what I'm listening to when they're used- I can just listen.
Sounds like the Dyns are very forgiving speakers and are not fatiguing. If I had the funds right now, I would certainly be all over the X14's. Things still are very tight for me right now. Oh well, maybe another time.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
One other note about the Dyns is that they are a great looking speaker. I have the X14 in Walnut Satin and the finish is beautiful. The cabinets are relatively small as well so great from an aesthetic point of view as well as an audio one.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the Walnut does look very nice. For those dealing with a WAF that is significant nevertheless. The deal on the X14's is a very good one. The timing is not good for me. Otherwise, I would be all over the deal. Hopefully, there will be other deals to be had down the road. Thanks for the info @tmurnin.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Sounds like the Dyns are very forgiving speakers and are not fatiguing. If I had the funds right now, I would certainly be all over the X14's. Things still are very tight for me right now. Oh well, maybe another time.

Cheers,

Phil
I don't know that they're forgiving- if a recording is bad, it WILL sound bad. They show flaws very well and their monitors have been used in studios for a long time.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know that they're forgiving- if a recording is bad, it WILL sound bad. They show flaws very well and their monitors have been used in studios for a long time.
I see. I misunderstood you. Being neutral and revealing is a good thing no doubt. But, one thing I can NOT tolerate is ear fatigue. From what I garner the Dyns do not have such a problem. Certainly need to hear them one day. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

I see. I misunderstood you. Being neutral and revealing is a good thing no doubt. But, one thing I can NOT tolerate is ear fatigue. From what I garner the Dyns do not have such a problem. Certainly need to hear them one day. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
They're VERY easy to listen to.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
They're VERY easy to listen to.
I am sure they are. Like I said I have never read anything bad about Dynaudio. Find it rather interesting that they prefer to use 1st order X-overs for the most part. Have watch several of their videos regarding X-over design. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

I am sure they are. Like I said I have never read anything bad about Dynaudio. Find it rather interesting that they prefer to use 1st order X-overs for the most part. Have watch several of their videos regarding X-over design. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil
Less phase shift, lobing and other problems caused by passive crossovers. They have used more complex crossovers in certain models, though. They're big on wide dispersion.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Less phase shift, lobing and other problems caused by passive crossovers. They have used more complex crossovers in certain models, though. They're big on wide dispersion.
This is probably due to designing very good drivers. That way higher order X-overs are not necessary. Of course, on some of their speakers they do use more complex X-over designs albeit higher order. The Dyns are certainly on my to do list. Hope to demo them one day.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis