DVI blocks HDMI audio?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
On my Win11 Lenovo in a docker I have 2 DVI's and one HDMI. I'm trying to connect my monitor on DVI and the TV on HDMI but when the DVI is plugged in the sound on the HDMI goes off. If the DVI is not on the sound goes to the TV over the HDMI.

Both screens work.

Any suggestions where to look?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
On my Win11 Lenovo in a docker I have 2 DVI's and one HDMI. I'm trying to connect my monitor on DVI and the TV on HDMI but when the DVI is plugged in the sound on the HDMI goes off. If the DVI is not on the sound goes to the TV over the HDMI.

Both screens work.

Any suggestions where to look?
I think you have contravened the DRM HDCP rules. DVI is not two way communication for verification. So it thinks you are a pirate. I don't think this is going to work.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I think you have contravened the DRM HDCP rules. DVI is not two way communication for verification. So it thinks you are a pirate. I don't think this is going to work.
Really? I can't stream to the TV on HDMI and use a monitor at the same time because of Digital Rights Management?? Really?

Suppose I got a USB 3 to HDMI adaptor for the monitor?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Really? I can't stream to the TV on HDMI and use a monitor at the same time because of Digital Rights Management?? Really?

Suppose I got a USB 3 to HDMI adaptor for the monitor?
Doubtful, as if there are no to and FRO handshakes then you will fall foul of the regs. Even with two HDMI connections you can get into trouble from EDID conflicts.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Doubtful, as if there are no to and FRO handshakes then you will fall foul of the regs. Even with two HDMI connections you can get into trouble from EDID conflicts.
WOW. It's nuts. But thanks.

I'd have liked to stream to the TV and use the computer at the same time. What a pain.

highfigh

highfigh

WOW. It's nuts. But thanks.

I'd have liked to stream to the TV and use the computer at the same time. What a pain.
Welcome to the joys of HDMI. I have a different definition- "Horribly Defective Multimedia Interface".

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
It sounds like your computer is switching the default audio output from the HDMI to the DVI when you plug in the DVI cable. You can try changing the default audio output in Windows 11 to the HDMI port by following these steps:

1. Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select "Open Sound settings"
2. Under "Output", click on the dropdown menu and select the HDMI output
3. Test the audio by playing a video or audio file on the TV

If that doesn't work, you can try updating the graphics card driver or checking the audio settings in the graphics card control panel.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Thanks. I will try that after the concert tonight. I don't want to accidentally mess things up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis