Dual Subwoofer Placement for Your Home

AperionAudio

AperionAudio

Audiophyte
If you are considering going with dual subs, this article will help with optimal placement!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both those guides are relying on Harman's research into that area. It's fine for something simple, but you can do better. The reality of multiple subwoofer placement is there is no rule of thumb that you can follow and get the most beneficial results. You need a way to measure the results of each placement, and use sub #2 placement to shore up the nulls left by sub #1's placement. Don't blindly assume that corner placement or sidewall placement or near-field placement is going to be the best spot. Let measurements guide subwoofer placement.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you are considering going with dual subs, this article will help with optimal placement!
Its always exciting to see manufacturers participate here. I hope you will hang around and contribute!
Also, Please send AH speakers to measure and review! :D

Re: Placement, I agree with Shady here... There is so much more to it, and the common Dogmatic view of Front wall, 1/4 wall, 1/3rd wall, corner loading... It just doesn't work in every situation!
If I put a sub in my front corner, I get a sloppy, muddy mess!
Instead, I took the Geddes technique to heart, and used the Sub Crawl to find the best locations in my room. Two subs, asymetrically placed in my room and each different distances from my mains and LP. It yielded a much better response than any of the more Dogmatic approaches!

Cheers!

T

tparm

Audioholic
But.... if one needs to pre-wire a new room, these guides plus advise can help. Like mine for instance, haha.... 15.5x31x9 with a bar in the back, sealed from the rest of the house. I’m running power and RCAs to the following four locations and will measure once in the space, I really have no other options as the boxes will be big 15” ported subs.

another thought, if you can’t use wireless connections (there’s an oxymoron) for running room calibration, should you use them at all?

Any thoughts on my locations?

Thanks.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis