Dual PB 2000 Pros have arrived!

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I completely brainfarted. Of course you have the app or you wouldn't know what the chart looks like, lol.

The first thing you wanna do is set up and do some sweeps with your UMIK 1 and REW so you know where to start. Once you've identified areas of opportunity you open your file in the app and go to the curve editor. Then you can use your finger or a stylus and alter the curve, up or down, based on your findings. Like this:

View attachment 39822

That's one way to do it, and you can make multiple adjustments. That's as tight or precise as possible drawing it tho. Now there's also a user designed program called ratbuddyssey that you can use for really tight, precise adjustments and it works really well.

View attachment 39823 View attachment 39824

Notice how much sharper, tighter and precise those are compared to drawing it. Here's a link to his thread. A bit of a learning curve, but it was worth it to me. If you really wanna roll up your sleeves and get into it we can help you figure some of it out and don't feel dumb for asking questions! It's how we learn this stuff!
Appreciate it man and yes it is tighter. It’s not that I feel dumb, I guess repetitive. These questions are probably asked a thousand times. I’m guessing I would want to boost as little as possible if I have basically the same dip you and old onkyo have?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to mention, tho you probably realize it I'm gonna say it anyway. After you make any adjustments you want to click "done" to save it and then send it to your AVR and re-measure to see what it did. Also, adjustments made in the app only affect the "Reference" setting. At first I was going to "Flat" and couldn't figure out why my adjustments had no effect, lol.

And also... you want to make sure you have Dynamic EQ OFF when you measure. Audyssey is going for a flat frequency response when DEQ is off. Turning it on will boost your bass and wouldn't be accurate. Same goes for Dynamic Volume and Audyssey LFC. You want those off as well.

To summarize, when doing sweeps to check for accuracy you want
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - Reference
Dynamic EQ - OFF
Dynamic Volume - OFF
Audyssey LFC - OFF

With those settings you want as flat and even response as possible for best sound, IMO, IME, YMMV.

After I dial in I turn DEQ on for a bass boost and play with the different -Reference Level Offset setting. I find 10 dB to sound best for most of my music. Some of us will bump the trim level 2 or 3 dB as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Appreciate it man and yes it is tighter. It’s not that I feel dumb, I guess repetitive. These questions are probably asked a thousand times. I’m guessing I would want to boost as little as possible if I have basically the same dip you and old onkyo have?
Repetitive? Perhaps, but that's the nature of the forums. I think I can speak for most of us and say that when folks come here with a willingness to learn and apply that newfound knowledge to achieve great results I get a little case of the warm fuzzies. I love this hobby and hi fi sound. It makes me feel good to be able to share with and help others enjoy what they have the way I do. Getting the right gear is half the battle. Learning to optimize and get the most from it is the part a lot of folks miss out on.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I forgot to mention, tho you probably realize it I'm gonna say it anyway. After you make any adjustments you want to click "done" to save it and then send it to your AVR and re-measure to see what it did. Also, adjustments made in the app only affect the "Reference" setting. At first I was going to "Flat" and couldn't figure out why my adjustments had no effect, lol.

And also... you want to make sure you have Dynamic EQ OFF when you measure. Audyssey is going for a flat frequency response when DEQ is off. Turning it on will boost your bass and wouldn't be accurate. Same goes for Dynamic Volume and Audyssey LFC. You want those off as well.

To summarize, when doing sweeps to check for accuracy you want
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - Reference
Dynamic EQ - OFF
Dynamic Volume - OFF
Audyssey LFC - OFF

With those settings you want as flat and even response as possible for best sound, IMO, IME, YMMV.

After I dial in I turn DEQ on for a bass boost and play with the different -Reference Level Offset setting. I find 10 dB to sound best for most of my music. Some of us will bump the trim level 2 or 3 dB as well.
I did have it in reference already but my deq was on when I ran audyssey through app. I probably won’t be able to get to playing with it until Wednesday or Thursday maybe, I’m hoping because of work and my kids sports. Thx for all the info and help

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did have it in reference already but my deq was on when I ran audyssey through app. I probably won’t be able to get to playing with it until Wednesday or Thursday maybe, I’m hoping because of work and my kids sports. Thx for all the info and help
It won't make a difference for running Audyssey, all the above is for your sweeps with REW when you check the results.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Repetitive? Perhaps, but that's the nature of the forums. I think I can speak for most of us and say that when folks come here with a willingness to learn and apply that newfound knowledge to achieve great results I get a little case of the warm fuzzies. I love this hobby and hi fi sound. It makes me feel good to be able to share with and help others enjoy what they have the way I do. Getting the right gear is half the battle. Learning to optimize and get the most from it is the part a lot of folks miss out on.
I asked this already but not sure if I had got an answer from anyone. After I ran audyssey through app, why did it set my front subs volume at -7.5 and rear one at -6.5? Running audyssey without app it set my front subs to -10 and rear to -10, which is correct? The app also changed my rear sub distance to 11.8ft instead of the 5.2ft

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I asked this already but not sure if I had got an answer from anyone. After I ran audyssey through app, why did it set my front subs volume at -7.5 and rear one at -6.5? Running audyssey without app it set my front subs to -10 and rear to -10, which is correct? The app also changed my rear sub distance to 11.8ft instead of the 5.2ft
Something sounds a little funky there. Did you change anything between not using the app and with the app? Like move something or bump the gain on your subs? Distances don't always match up with a tape measure and have more to do with timing. Changing distance changes the arrival time of the soundwaves so all frequencies hit your seating position ~the same time.

Consistency with mic placement while running Audyssey is important too, and I like to take all 8 measurements closely following the pattern on the screen. Getting background noise down is important too. I've had a dog bark while running Audyssey for one of the measurements and it screwed everything up so I started over. What you're doing is basically creating a bubble of good sound around your seat inside the mic positions.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Definitely getting UMIK. How do you “read” the graphs? I can see a dip, but what does it mean? I am much better with words....
I want to make sure I am getting everything out of these subs,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Definitely getting UMIK. How do you “read” the graphs? I can see a dip, but what does it mean? I am much better with words....
I want to make sure I am getting everything out of these subs,
The dip in my chart translated to weak, thin sounding bass with music. I had lots of deep bass, great for s'plosions and stuff, but was missing a good chunk in the music range and it sounded thin.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Well....I had an issue with the SVS app not keeping the presets I load. First, rep answered my call on a Sunday morning! Then he informed me it was a glitch in the App they new about but informed me that the subs would retain the preset I selected until I selected something different.

late last night I inserted the plugs and set the port tuning to sealed. The base tightened up really nice, but I couldn’t really test it. Happy to report after a spirited session today I love these subs for music! I will sacrifice anything I may be giving up in HT for the clean, crisp, articulate base I get with full port sealed and tuned.

I was disappointed to find out that I can’t tune the ports with only one port sealed via the app. Once I gain the knowledge and experience I figure I can do it manually.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Sounds like you need to turn the subs down during the beginning of the Audyssey process?
Recalibrated today with assistance from SVS...my goal was to get results higher than -12 on the results.

I used the Audyssey on the Denon to level match the subs, used the SVS app to adjust the volume. Started with -15 on the SVS app, went down to a -23, and -24. Then I ran the Audyessy stand alone app. the subs came out to -7. I made all of the adjustments in the app ant then saved them to the receiver.

If I am correct I have 3-5 db’s to play with on the SVS App, looking for that punch! I want the sweet spot where I do not have to adjust every time I listen to music or watch tv.
as usual, learning a lot from you all. Thanks.

currently streaming Gemini man, sounds great but lacking in bass response. Anyone with recommendations for source material?
ascorny as it sounds I lIke Venom and Rampage.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I want to add a barn door to close the room. Due to Covid, I won’t be having anyone in the house in the near future. Will heavy drapes help contain the sound?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I want to add a barn door to close the room. Due to Covid, I won’t be having anyone in the house in the near future. Will heavy drapes help contain the sound?
I would say it “could” help with the higher freq and midrange stuff. Will depend on the thickness and construction.
Won’t do much for bass though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Recalibrated today with assistance from SVS...my goal was to get results higher than -12 on the results.

I used the Audyssey on the Denon to level match the subs, used the SVS app to adjust the volume. Started with -15 on the SVS app, went down to a -23, and -24. Then I ran the Audyessy stand alone app. the subs came out to -7. I made all of the adjustments in the app ant then saved them to the receiver.

If I am correct I have 3-5 db’s to play with on the SVS App, looking for that punch! I want the sweet spot where I do not have to adjust every time I listen to music or watch tv.
as usual, learning a lot from you all. Thanks.

currently streaming Gemini man, sounds great but lacking in bass response. Anyone with recommendations for source material?
ascorny as it sounds I lIke Venom and Rampage.
Rampage and GM are good choices even if corny lol. Where are you streaming from? I’ve seen inconsistencies between streaming titles and BD, and even differences between BD and UHD disks mostly in regard to bass content. If by source material you mean film titles, Hacksaw Ridge is amazing! Mad max fury road, Fury, sicario, the dark night, Wonder Woman, midway are some.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Rampage and GM are good choices even if corny lol. Where are you streaming from? I’ve seen inconsistencies between streaming titles and BD, and even differences between BD and UHD disks mostly in regard to bass content. If by source material you mean film titles, Hacksaw Ridge is amazing! Mad max fury road, Fury, sicario, the dark night, Wonder Woman, midway are some.
Thanks. While the subs sound good, I don’t hear/feel what everyone is talking about. Using Audyessy I got a result of -7 on the subs. -24 on the SVS app. Turned them up to -21 for music, sounded great using HEOS and Amazon Music. Been watch the Bourne series on Directv today, the commercials slam the movie sounds good....turned subs up to -15 for movies. Master Volume on the Denon is -15.
it could be poor source material.

I read Shady’s review and if I remember correctly he said these could handle a room up to 5,000 cubic ft. I have two in a room that measures 2700 cubic feet.

I will look for titles on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu .. thank you for you input again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only because I have never used SVS Subs, and especially with their app...
Does the -24 setting in the app reflect the Sub Gain itself, or is there a separate Gain knob on the Sub?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Only because I have never used SVS Subs, and especially with their app...
Does the -24 setting in the app reflect the Sub Gain itself, or is there a separate Gain knob on the Sub?
Hey rynodyno! Hope your good out west! Been thinking of you guys.
Yeah, the -24 is a gain setting. Definitely different than old skool knobs huh lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. While the subs sound good, I don’t hear/feel what everyone is talking about. Using Audyessy I got a result of -7 on the subs. -24 on the SVS app. Turned them up to -21 for music, sounded great using HEOS and Amazon Music. Been watch the Bourne series on Directv today, the commercials slam the movie sounds good....turned subs up to -15 for movies. Master Volume on the Denon is -15.
it could be poor source material.

I read Shady’s review and if I remember correctly he said these could handle a room up to 5,000 cubic ft. I have two in a room that measures 2700 cubic feet.

I will look for titles on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu .. thank you for you input again.
My pleasure as always. For the Bourne series, which I do enjoy, I don’t recall any super bass standout stuff. Again, streaming can be hit or miss, and disk always wins so... Aslo try going up to -19ish and see. Ime a +5 to the subs is good. I seem to different but I like a little extra sub for music, and not so much for movies.
That can seem super obnoxious. But make no mistake, that doesn’t mean I don’t like shaking my couch with 16hz content in a natural way. I’ve been a musician my whole life and being in a room where the bass shakes you, be it an upright bass, or a kick drum is more realistic than when someone on screen shuts a car door and you get knocked off the couch...lol.
And yes. Those subs should be giving you a bunch of TR. But content is king, so make sure to use BD’s until your familiar with the setup as streaming can be hit or miss, so you might not know what your getting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis