Dual mismatched subs

C

ciotime

Audioholic
My X3700H hopefully will arrive next week. Need some advice with a dual subwoofer setup. I know that it's best to use the same subs but someone told me it's fine using mismatched subs ( different brands/different RMS ) coz the X3700H has dual independent sub outs. Plus any problems that the mismatched subs present can easily be corrected with the Audyssey app. Is this true or better stick to the same brand/make and model? I currently have the SVS PB1000 but unfortunately can't get another one coz there just aren't any stocks available in my country at the moment due to supply shortage. I was told earliest it'll be available might be sometime April/May. The Polk HTS12/HTS10 is available but they don't have the power rating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The power rating is pretty much meaningless in this respect, it wouldn't be a factor in matching subs necessarily....and isn't very useful information except to tell you the capacity of the amp (depending on what particular basis is spec'd). Mismatching would be more about different designs, like sealed vs ported, extension (how low it goes), frequency response overall, and spl capability. It's easier to deal with identical subs, but you can do well enough to get by with mismatched subs to an extent. Keep in mind the weaker sub is a limiting factor. Audyssey in the 3700 has individual sub pre-outs in that they can be separately adjusted for level and delay, which can help, but they're eq'd together by Audyssey. I'd get another PB1000 later perhaps, might do just fine for now on its own.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
The power rating is pretty much meaningless in this respect, it wouldn't be a factor in matching subs necessarily....and isn't very useful information except to tell you the capacity of the amp (depending on what particular basis is spec'd). Mismatching would be more about different designs, like sealed vs ported, extension (how low it goes), frequency response overall, and spl capability. It's easier to deal with identical subs, but you can do well enough to get by with mismatched subs to an extent. Keep in mind the weaker sub is a limiting factor. Audyssey in the 3700 has individual sub pre-outs in that they can be separately adjusted for level and delay, which can help, but they're eq'd together by Audyssey. I'd get another PB1000 later perhaps, might do just fine for now on its own.
Thanks. I still have my old Paradigm PDR12 and just got the PB1000. And the Paradigm's are still way back coz they are still made in Canada whereas the new one's now are China made. I think they are lesser in capabilities' compared to the Polks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I still have my old Paradigm PDR12 and just got the PB1000. And the Paradigm's are still way back coz they are still made in Canada whereas the new one's now are China made. I think they are lesser in capabilities' compared to the Polks.
They're both ported, could be similar enough not to be noticeable, give it a shot. I think Polk may have recently put out a relatively decent sub but generally they haven't for a long time....not much on my radar, tho.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
They're both ported, could be similar enough not to be noticeable, give it a shot. I think Polk may have recently put out a relatively decent sub but generally they haven't for a long time....not much on my radar, tho.
Checked the website still the same one's. I guess I'll just wait for the SVS then.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I heard that SVS will be releasing the new SVS PB1000 PRO...similar to the PB2000 PRO...I guess I'll just get that instead.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I agree with the general consensus that you should try to get two matching subs.

If you don't, then I highly recommend you get a miniDSP or similar tool to integrate the two subs. I just did this myself with three subs and the miniDSP gave me everything I needed to get an excellent response. Since you can individually adjust delay, phase, high/low pass, and dsp on each sub, plus do dsp on the input, you can get amazing results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis