Dual "Double Decker" Subs

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I could sh
After I repaired the surround on my VMPS TallBoy dual sub it went into the theater with the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. The HSU is in the front corner looking nice and proper while the dual TallBoy is in the rear corner of the room.

Those two working together setup a huge bass response with minimal effort. Bring in the Kracken! :D

View attachment 38422
I could shave looking at the top of that thing.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
There are also dual-opposed designs (sealed generally) to save space somewhat....and have fairly inert cabinets as a result of the cancellation.
A little off the op’s topic but my jbl towers have two 8 inch driver bolted together separated by an inch thick mdf vented out the top with about two feet of air travel in something they call a DCB Bass system they play very low down to 35hz buy there book I’ve always assumed it was some type of passive sub deal . Any thoughts .

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A little off the op’s topic but my jbl towers have two 8 inch driver bolted together separated by an inch thick mdf vented out the top with about two feet of air travel in something they call a DCB Bass system they play very low down to 35hz buy there book I’ve always assumed it was some type of passive sub deal . Any thoughts .
I have ported Standmounts rated to about that...
That tends to be the low end extension of many commonly available speakers. Many, unfortunately, roll off higher... some much more. :(

For most conventional Music, that is enough to cover almost everything except the bottom keys of a Piano and the lower end of Pipe Organs.

It's not enough for HT LFE content, though, which should always be supplemented by a capable Sub! :) I would argue that the minimum extension one should seek is ~18Hz. But if you want to chase the 32' Stop on a Proper Organ, you need to dig down to 15-16Hz. :D

What Towers do you have?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
That tends to be the low end extension of many commonly available speakers. Many, unfortunately, roll off higher... some much more. :(

For most conventional Music, that is enough to cover almost everything except the bottom keys of a Piano and the lower end of Pipe Organs.

It's not enough for HT LFE content, though, which should always be supplemented by a capable Sub! :) I would argue that the minimum extension one should seek is ~18Hz. But if you want to chase the 32' Stop on a Proper Organ, you need to dig down to 15-16Hz. :D

What Towers do you have?
Yep the book says in rolls off to them at at 120 hz they’ve never sounded really good till I started setting the avr’s crossover to around 100 to 120 hz . They were muddy if you get my drift . Now they opened up Are really detailed and open sounding but my subs really gained the most out of the experimentation really detailed low bass cleaned that up the most .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

What Towers do you have?
There HP-520’s I use them for my front mains and side surrounds there 4 ways tall 7 sided towers made in Denmark quite heavy .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not familiar with it....what model of speaker is it? Doubtful they're subs at all.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Not familiar with it....what model of speaker is it? Doubtful they're subs at all.
No I don’t think they are either there imported jbl’s from the European market made in Denmark from the late 90’s , 4 way towers you might be able to find specs on them on the net .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I can testify to this as Shady stated dualies just have huge output and power for the size and footprint and I'd rather get multiples of those which would be out of this world I love my bass and a lot of it

Here's a pic of my RBH SV1212PR
20200307_233727.jpg20200307_233545.jpg20200307_172722.jpg

And a pic of my SVS dual PB 4000's up front
20200307_172713.jpg20200307_172645.jpg

I can say this I wish I would have gone the RBH or other dualies route a long time ago.

That RBH just trashes the 2 4000's not even close

It'll trash a single SVS PB 16 ultra not sure if it can best 2 of those tho

But I plan on buying 3 more of the RBH soon

4 of those in that room would be beyond stupid and that's right up my alley

Plus they look awesome and don't take up as much of the floor space as the 4000's do

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The only way I could get the 4000's up to snuff is to buy 2 more and stack them on top of the originals now that would be killer and I have thought about it

But ultimately stupid considering I can buy the passive versions of the RBH and get the same performance for not much more money at all

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nice Theatre!!!
Thanks man I really owe a lottoff fellas here a huge debt of gratitude for there support from speakers to subs to room design you guys helped me learn about it all.

Shady, Lovin, Mathew, Ryan, Pogre, William, Acudef, so many I can't even mention all of you but don't think your not remembered or appreciated but this room wouldn't be what it is today without your help

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Why stop at just a two driver stack?

Those are XTZ 3X12s. A single 3X12 is already a major bruiser. They have been updated since that review to achieve THX certification. They are designed so that they can be stacked if the user wants.
You know I wanted to buy those Shady a long time back but I couldn't find a single darn way to get a way to find a dealer or on they're online site

And by the way now your talking!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis