DTS Launches ‘Clear Dialogue’ Feature to Improve Dialogue Intelligibility

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
DTS has developed an AI-based audio processing feature called Clear Dialogue. An on-device solution for TV OEMs, DTS Clear Dialogue identifies, separates, and enhances spoken dialogue for TV audio. Users can customize their experience to accommodate environmental issues and differences in hearing ability.

dts.jpg

Interestingly, this was a feature originally promised when the DTS:X immersive audio format was launched. Does this mean DTS:X enabled AVRs will support this?

Read: DTS Clear Dialogue Feature to Improve Dialogue Intelligibility

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting how news channels and evening news comes in clearly, but many programs' dialogues are terrible.
So, DTS is fixing recording issues.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
The first thing I would want to know is if the AI does it's processing on a central server, letting DTS track what media I consume.

I use my TV as a display panel only, and get audio from my Denon based surround system.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

DTS has developed an AI-based audio processing feature called Clear Dialogue. An on-device solution for TV OEMs, DTS Clear Dialogue identifies, separates, and enhances spoken dialogue for TV audio. Users can customize their experience to accommodate environmental issues and differences in hearing ability.

View attachment 70036

Interestingly, this was a feature originally promised when the DTS:X immersive audio format was launched. Does this mean DTS:X enabled AVRs will support this?

Read: DTS Clear Dialogue Feature to Improve Dialogue Intelligibility
So this is a down and dirty trick to hear dialog on poor systems.

As I have said many times the ability of a system to produce clear AND natural human speech is an essential requirement of any audio system. If it can't is is just a bad system. I know many can't, and there are far too many bad systems around.

I have three systems and all of them produce clear and natural speech, and I have never had to advance the volume on a center channel ever. One is a two channel system and still has clear dialog.

No one has ever complained they can't hear and understand the dialog.

It is most unfortunate this seems a complaint we get too frequently here.

highfigh

highfigh

So this is a down and dirty trick to hear dialog on poor systems.

As I have said many times the ability of a system to produce clear AND natural human speech is an essential requirement of any audio system. If it can't is is just a bad system. I know many can't, and there are far too many bad systems around.

I have three systems and all of them produce clear and natural speech, and I have never had to advance the volume on a center channel ever. One is a two channel system and still has clear dialog.

No one has ever complained they can't hear and understand the dialog.

It is most unfortunate this seems a complaint we get too frequently here.
I don't even use surround and I can hear dialog at any level but if they're addressing bad systems/speakers or peoples' bad hearing acuity, it needs to have an adjustment for how much effect it will have. People have abused their ears for decades with ear buds and didn't read the warnings about heading damage, so we now have a hearing aid that's AI-based. Great for some listeners, bad for others.

If I can find a rep who knows anything about this tomorrow at an AV distributor event tomorrow, I'll ask.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis