DTS HD Master Audio on older system

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased a Blu-Ray music disk (Alan Parsons Project's Eye in the Sky) but have not tried it yet. The website I read says it's coded in 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and LPCM. My AVR (see below) does not have HDMI inputs and my Blu-ray player only has HDMI and digital coax. From what I read on this site, the best I might get is DTS 5.1 since the DTS: HD MA has the DTS CA encoded in it. So the Rotel 1068 will pick that up. Does this sound right?

Rotel RSP 1068
Rotel RMB 1095
Fronts: LSi 15
Center: LSiC
Rear: Bose 301 (yeah I know cool huh?)
Subwoofer: None (my RMB 1095 only has 5 channels)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Alan Parsons Project's Eye in the Sky is an excellent album (especially when decoded with a lossless codec).

The Blu-ray has these soundtracks:
Music: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)
Music: LPCM 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)
Music: LPCM 2.0 (192kHz, 24-bit)

According to the Rotel RSP 1068 Manual the Decodable Digital Input Signals are Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, LPCM (up to 192K), HDCD, MP3, MPEG Multichannel

You are correct, the best you can get is DTS 5.1 which the Rotel 1068 AVR will auto detect the signal and play it when you select it on your Blu-ray player.

I'd encourage you to look to upgrade to something that has a good Sub and will play lossless source material.

I hope this is helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently purchased a Blu-Ray music disk (Alan Parsons Project's Eye in the Sky) but have not tried it yet. The website I read says it's coded in 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and LPCM. My AVR (see below) does not have HDMI inputs and my Blu-ray player only has HDMI and digital coax. From what I read on this site, the best I might get is DTS 5.1 since the DTS: HD MA has the DTS CA encoded in it. So the Rotel 1068 will pick that up. Does this sound right?

Rotel RSP 1068
Rotel RMB 1095
That is a may be. You don't say what the player is and if you have a screen. You will need a screen to see what is going on.

Now RCA coax digital will transmit DTS 5.1, but only if it is lossy. It can not transmit lossless DTS 5.1 audio. So the question I can not answer is whether you player can send compressed DTS 5.1 audio via its RCA coax output. Some players only sent a mixed down stereo version. So I can't answer your question.

Essentially your system is now out of date. We are now passed the analog sunset, which started in 2010 and was complete be 2013.

So you do need to update your AVP to a unit less than ten years old.

Lastly you double posted which we don't like here. So please delete the other post.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Like Dolby, DTS has a "core" (CA), so yes it will still play the 5.1 audio. I would look to upgrade as others mentioned, DTS-X, DTS HD-MA, and Atmos are worth your time IMO.

Friend of mine used 301s for surrounds and because of their diffuse sound, they actually aren't too bad for that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Like Dolby, DTS has a "core" (CA), so yes it will still play the 5.1 audio. I would look to upgrade as others mentioned, DTS-X, DTS HD-MA, and Atmos are worth your time IMO.

Friend of mine used 301s for surrounds and because of their diffuse sound, they actually aren't too bad for that.
It will if the player will send it. Some players mix it down to stereo PCM over optical and Coax. We don't know what the player is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It will if the player will send it. Some players mix it down to stereo PCM over optical and Coax. We don't know what the player is.
Unless it is a really old player, which is a possibility, I figure it will have that ability. It was mainly first and second gen DVD players that couldn't do it. My first DVD player, a first gen Panasonic, did not support DTS, but there were almost no DTS discs at that time either.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan

Rotel RSP 1068
Rotel RMB 1095
The Rotel RSP 1068 is equipped with MULTI In 7.1 ports.Funny how that topic keeps popping up here and there. If you are happy with the Rotel and see no need to upgrade, there are still blu-ray players from Panasonic that feature 7.1 analog output ports for connection to devices such as the Rotel RSP 1068. You'd set speaker presence and speaker sizes in the player as the MULTI INPUT on the Rote RSP 1068 bypasses any digital processing but can redirect bass for any connected powered subwoofers. The player, say the Panasonic DP-UB820, can send the video signal via HDMI to a new 4K TV and multichannel 7.1 analog audio signal to the Rotel RSP 1068. In this case, Fronts would be set to Large, Center and Surrounds to Small and Surround Back Speakers(CB1 & CB2 on Rotel RSP 1068) and Subwoofer to None for 5.0 output unless a two channel amp is connected to the Rotel RSP 1068 CB1 & CB2 pre outs to pick up the last two channels and a powered subwoofer is also connected to one of the SUB pre outs. Then, the speaker assignments in the player would change to 7.1 with seven small speakers and a subwoofer present.

Rotel RSP 1068:
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.40.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.45.25 AM.png

Panasonic DP-UB820
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.57.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.58.44 AM.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Few subs are offered that need you to provide the amp, most just need a pre-out as your pre-pro has. Would help as noted to know what player you are using. I have that bluray, nice recording.

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies! It's been awhile since I've had my system up and running..... it's been in storage for about 4 years!
I don't have my own Blu-ray player so when I say "my blu-ray" I mean borrowed. I'll check it this weekend. I need to get my own.
I'll need to decide on 1) new AVR 2) Blu-ray with analog outs to go into the 1068 or 3) external DAC.
Sorry about the double post....not sure how that happened except I was trying to edit it and something went wrong.....I don't see how to delete it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies! It's been awhile since I've had my system up and running..... it's been in storage for about 4 years!
I don't have my own Blu-ray player so when I say "my blu-ray" I mean borrowed. I'll check it this weekend. I need to get my own.
I'll need to decide on 1) new AVR 2) Blu-ray with analog outs to go into the 1068 or 3) external DAC.
Sorry about the double post....not sure how that happened except I was trying to edit it and something went wrong.....I don't see how to delete it.
Not much left in the way of players with a full set of analog outputs....that Panasonic Treb mentioned and it's more expensive big brother, the UB9000 are all I can think of.

A more modern avr or pre-pro may be the way to go...

You can ask a moderator to delete the extra thread....

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
I need to buy my own blu-ray player. So the the UB-820 or 9000 seem to make sense. I can hold onto my older 1066 (I noticed my error.....not a 1068 sorry) for a while longer. Any thoughts on bang for the buck on the 820 vs 9000? I read an article the DAC may be better in the 9000 and there's another post about the 90001K that has different DACs due to a factory burning down. Not sure my system could take advantage of the 9000 if it is that better. I guess for playing Blu-rays my old Rotel becomes an expensive volume knob!

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. So for my budget for source and processor $1,000 (cause yeah gotta get a new tv too) I think it comes down to buying a used AVP like the Rotel 1570 and a Blue Ray player like the Sony X800 or getting the Panasonic 9000 with analog into my Rotel 1066. What I'm interested in most is music audio and occasionally a movie. My current system doesn't do DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD and I have no plans to get a 3D audio setup like Atmos.

Current Setup:
Sony RDR-GX300
Rotel 1066
Rotel RMB-1095
Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSiW
Bose 301

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis